Do they still make West Bend engines????

just frank

I have an old 800. I was told by a guy on the phone that they still make new West Bend go kart engines... Is that really true? Here or China? How much? Or was this guy just pulling my leg.

"The engine division of West Bend was sold to Chrysler, then to Brunswick, and finally to US Motor Power."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Bend_Company

It appears that White Wolf Parts is now the owner and their website looks pretty sketchy. My browser (Brave) says the site is not secure and there is a notice on their own site stating that they have problems with orders! I don't see any complete engines on the site.
http://www.whitewolfparts.com/about.html
http://www.whitewolfparts.com/store.html

Learn to do a web search, it's easy.

just frank

I finally found the price of a new U.S. motor 820 for around $1249.00. That's a little high... On ebay I do see vintage engines, good ones, but prices are going up like crazy. The problem with a used engine is you don't know where's it been. The kid who is now in his 80's beat the snot out of that engine when it's new. Part's missing and the holes are stripped and there might be crack somewhere. That drives me crazy.
In the early 90's I found a West Bend engine for $50 bucks. I should have bought it! Can't cry over spilt milk. I will look into Ryon Courts, I hear good things about him. I was told to find a West Bend because there are still parts available don't matter what year. That sounds good.

just frank

Hi,
I have been looking around at the 580 west bend engines on you tube and also Ebay. Also old black and white photos from the early 60's. I am a little confused... I notice there are left engines and right engines. The most common are on the left, like a Briggs. I know some racing karts have both but I am only looking for the most common. Just one engine... Is the sprocket supposed to be on the outside next to the wheel? Or more inside the frame like a Manco go kart. If all goes well this will fit my Go kart 800 with a Palmini tank. Thank you.

There is not much room behind the seat on an 800. I have one and it did have a 5hp briggs flattie, but no seat tank. You should have two motor mounts. If you wanted to run twins you might have to have them run on the outside which means one is cw and one is ccw, with just one engine you might be able to run inside the frame but the crank might be awful close to domed tank.

just frank

I only need one engine for now... Come to think of it I thought someone told me long ago that the old West Bends can be flipped over for the right or the left... Is that true or did I hear that wrong. I was a kid in grade school when I heard that a million years ago.

just frank

I just called up U.S. motors (1-262-728-3593) to ask them questions like what I posted yesterday. To my surprised the number was disconnected... I don't have facebook, does anyone have the email to "Ryan Courts"? I will keep everyone posted with what he said... Thank you.

I just called up U.S. motors (1-262-728-3593) to ask them questions like what I posted yesterday. To my surprised the number was disconnected... I don't have facebook, does anyone have the email to "Ryan Courts"? I will keep everyone posted with what he said... Thank you.
From previously posted/linked White Wolf Parts site: "United States Motor Company is now closed and has been purchased and renamed White Wolf Parts."

New rings, bearings, gaskets, electronic ignition, GEM muffler, bench tested. Engine is a racing block ported with boost cylinder, ported exhaust and intake, stepped crank CW rotation.

I find most on EBAY... I was told there are many vintage kart engines out there then there are vintage karts. It seems years ago the kid removed the engine before he sold, junked or scrapped out the kart. I guess there are still many out there it's just trying to find it that's a little tough. On EBAY they want an arm and a leg and people are willing to pay it...