Does anybody else collect vintage R/C cars?

mustangfrank

Growing up in the 1980's I was really into Tamiya cars and trucks.
I've been collecting pretty much vintage ones for a few years now not exclusively Tamiya.
Did you know Heathkit made one in 1970? From what I have found it's the 1st American made RC car.
I picked one up today. It's 1/8 th scale nitro
View attachment 270110
View attachment 270111
View attachment 270112
Did not know that, very cool cars!

I went through a phase in the 90s with nitro road cars and electric offroad buggies when my son was into it. Built an AWD HPI Ford Lightning bodied kit with a .15 Star (?) engine and every factory hop-up part I could find...thing could do 4 wheel burnouts on command and I couldn't hold the throttle wide open for more than 3 seconds or I'd crash it.

If I ever hit the lotto I'm buying some old tether cars.

old shed finds

Growing up in the 1980's I was really into Tamiya cars and trucks.
I've been collecting pretty much vintage ones for a few years now not exclusively Tamiya.
Did you know Heathkit made one in 1970? From what I have found it's the 1st American made RC car.
I picked one up today. It's 1/8 th scale nitro
View attachment 270110
View attachment 270111
View attachment 270112
You know me too well my buddy. .. I have a fair share in my collection of the association RC10 gold pans !! Lol...

I have an old tether car I have been wanting to run....it sat by the heat register and all the stickers came off...now I can play with it....sorry to change subject.
20180926_081943.jpg

Spent many years in the 80's and 90's racing and I still have s soft spot for RC. Dirt oval was really big here in Eastern PA at that time. It never completely died, but many of the smaller private tracks dried up. Those were the best for me. It seems to be making a resurgence. My goal was to run Lake Whipporwill in Florida one time and sadly didn't make it before they closed up. I still have a few vintage Tamiya and Marui cars. I know @bigrob enjoys some RC as well...