Doodlebug db30 new carburetor problem.

Hi there, I’m new to the site and mini bikes and I just recently picked up a db30 off of craigslist.
I replaced the carburetor because it was old and not working properly and I’m having issues adjusting it/ keeping it running. I’ve watched a couple videos and everything I’ve found thus far says to seat the adjustment screw and then turn it out two full turns. I’ve been playing with it for hours and just can’t seem to get it figured out. It either keeps dying on me or I have to have the choke enguaged to keep it running. And even when it is running it’s just wanting to take off on me. I have to sit on it or keep the brake presses in. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Bout it to teach my son how to ride and for me to put around on.

gbabins1

If it wants to take off on you, it could be a could different things. First I would remove the chain so it doesn't do that while you're troubleshooting it. It could be idling too high and engaging the clutch, or the clutch may need oil on the bushing / or replaced. Either way, should be an easy fix.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

We run ours with the choke on a bit, it will operate OK, but the plug carbons-up a bit and needs attention. All this indicates to me that the carb is running lean. We are going to try different mixture screw settings, monitor the choke setting and inspect the plug for carbon build-up and possibly go to a hotter plug. After that we are planing to drill the jetting 0.001” larger. Then repeat the test and tune. The clutch always needs some TLC. Ours is under-powered and probably needs a torque converter. I’m gonna bury my nose in the archives this winter in search of some direction on this bike.
Oh, and welcome to this place, there are lots of good folks here.
Hope this helps,
SAT

As above take the chain off. Way too many times folks have gotten fooled by a weak clutch spring, thinking they have a carb/engine problem. The weak spring lets clutch engage way too soon, drags down the engine at idle, and instant take off when throttle is applied.

I found on those used db30s that that clutch is generally the problem. Spray some WD-40 inside the drum and then run the bike.. yes it will slip like heck for a while , but when it dries out and cleans out, it gets rid of all of the brake shoe dust on the inside of the drum and keeps it from grabbing on U.
I bought lots of bikes where the guy said it needed a new clutch because when you pull it you get that grabbing noise and the engine dies. The D B comes with a cheap clutch. That WD-40 will do the trick cleaning it out. Try that first then check your carb. mark