doodlebug DB30 throttle

Ok I bought a doodlebug for my 2 boys for christmas this year and when they tried it a couple minutes after seeing it, they rode up the street and i thought it would go faster cause they had to push off to get it moving. I wouldnt budge with me on it, but i am 210, and my oldest is only 90 lbs. I started with the clutch grabbing on idle and searching on here I found what to do. But when I oil the clutch bearing do I need to remove the bolt or oil around the bolt and have it seep down, not in the clutch itself I know thats a no no. Also I thought this thing should go alittle faster and I noticed that throttle on the engine was hardly moving towards the rabbit on the label. Now I have searched on here and youtube to see what is the governor and is it the spring loaded screw under the throttle system or is it internal. I CANNOT stress enough I do not want to touch the governor, it is there for a good reason. I did however see on a thread here and on youtube the screw is NOT the governor and it can be adjusted or removed, I adjusted it back and now it pulls me up the road and back in a no time. But if that screw is the governor I will put it back where it was and let them ride it. On youtube there are videos that say it is not and other that say it is and to remove it, mind you 100% of the videos that say to remove it are made from 10-12 year old boys, I would have done the same at their age but I am 35 and had 3 spinal surgeries with 4 discs bolted together with more metal than a pontiac fiero has. So i do not to see my kids this way. If I upgrade to a 4hp motor is it simply remove the stock motor and install the new one, or would I have to do more like I would if I got the 6.5 motor on the new frame. Thanks and I help I didnt put anyone to sleep with this post.

gbabins1

Welcome to the site.... first off I would remove the clutch and snap ring, then oil the bushing. These bikes suffer from too tall of gearing. ( hence the poor take off ). the gov. is internal... that screw you're talking about is the throttle stop screw and can be adjusted or removed. As far as mounting another motor on the DB... no other motors (at least that I know of) have the same bolt pattern as the stock engine. So you will have to drill new holes or use a motor mount plate such as this Mini Bike Intake,Fuel and Ignition Parts

Another "welcome to the site" it sounds like you got the ol' 2.8 hp running reasonably well. (which is better than most !). If you are happy enough with it and your kids are having a good time, you might just want to leave well enough alone and let them be kids and "ride the bag off of it". There is plenty of time to find deals on alternative enignes and "hop-up' parts". My kids don't care what engine it has, if it runs and they get a turn they are happy, enjoy !

yeah welcome to OldMiniBikes.since you have two boys your gonna need another mini. :thumbsup: if the boys are just learning you probably wont want them on a clone yet.

here is what i did. i had a mini with the stock 97 cc engine. it would pull my daughter around ok but didnt do much for me. i put a promod jackshaft kit on it and it woke up the mini really good. my daughter and i rode it like that for about 9 months. then i got another mini and i put on the harbor freight clone on it. well now the cloned mini bike is my daughters and i am 'stuck' on the slower one. however, the slower one is just as fast on a tight fun course. check out the thread about flat tracking. i am not going to upgrade the slower cause it is perfect for the newer riders and can still provide lots of fun.

btw, i have a BRAND new never used promod jackshaft kit that i would let you have for 70+ s&h. they normally go for 119 + s&h

TT

@Hal, yeah I will let them run that engine till it dies, they are 8 (almost 9) and 11. When I seen the mini in the window I think I made the excuse to buy it for the kids cause my wife would never have accepted buying it if I said I wanted it. I never had a bike other than a regular bmx bike growing up and I still was crazy enough on it to get hurt a lot and that's what led to my first spinal surgery at 17. I remember walking in the house on a Sunday evening with 4 shattered off teeth in the palm of hand trying to talk to my mom without her knowing (like she would never see my 4 front top teeth shattered and the nerves were exposed so I couldn't open my mouth) and I was only 12. I know kids don't care what it is as long as they are having fun.

@tt. I will take you up on that offer for the jackshaft, I get paid on the 8th so I will pm you and we can work the payment arrangements out then. I tried to convince to buy 2 of them cause I know when you have 2 boys then buys 2 bikes. I mean you have 2 feet and you just buy 1 shoe do you, haha but she didn't buy it. Oh well they can learn on this and take it from there.

Thanks for all the welcomes guys

My two cents...I have a daughter who would ride on the Doodlebug with me, it of course was very sluggish. I put on the Jackshaft and now it pulls myself and daughter around no problem, I also loosened the throttle screw to give it a bit more juice. I will wait until she is older before I start changing the motor to a 6.5...You'll love the Jackshaft, easy to install and a world of difference!!!!

Have fun!!!

toomanytoys

With wives. The first couple are a tough sell, especially for me since I have no kids. But after a few get in the area they no longer know which ones are which and they are easily concealed.

She asked me the other day. Weren't there only 8 bikes? No no honey I always had 9

great you'll love the j/s kit. easy to put on. big performance difference. getting a great deal on it too. absolutely brand new.

TT

btw, noticed you from pittsburgh. i've been a steelers fan long as i can remember.

Yeah I live about 25 miles south of Pittsburgh in a small town called Donora. Joe Montana grew up 5 minutes from my house and graduated from the same school, Ringgold, and ken Griffey jr and sr both were from Donora. Even though on jr's baseball card he has Ohio as hometown, that's cause he only lived in Donora the first 2 years of his life, his uncle still roams the streets doing odd jobs. He actually was a better ball player than his brother sr if it wasn't for drugs and alcohol.

TT sent you a pm

I personally wouldn't sink a penny into that 97cc POS engine.

Save up a few bucks and just go the 6.5 clone route. That jackshaft kit might work as a patch but you still have a POS engine that IMO, is complete garbage.

If you know how to use a ruler and drill you can install a clone without any mounting plates. All that is needed is the 6.5 clone, clutch, and new chain and you'll have something solid that should last a long time with options to improve if needed.

Just my .02

Last edited:
As you can see I am TT. The motor is great for younger kids. Your children will only hurt themselves with a 6.5hp clone motor in stock form. You did right by purchasing the Pro Mod Jackshaft Kit from the squirrl. He gave you a great deal on the item and did you a favor at the same time. Don't let people talk you into a larger motor for a year or so.

Yes, wives can be deal killers. Pay attention to your children. Have them wear saftey gear as one member cracked his head open at 10 mph on ice. A helmet is a must.

I know ttsquirrel is a nice guy. He just uses my name without consent. He will see this post and know I am the Taco Terminater and I shortened it to TT..

Be safe,

TT out!:laugh:

I personally wouldn't sink a penny into that 97cc POS engine.

Save up a few bucks and just go the 6.5 clone route. That jackshaft kit might work as a patch but you still have a POS engine that IMO, is complete garbage.

If you know how to use a ruler and drill you can install a clone without any mounting plates. All that is needed is the 6.5 clone, clutch, and new chain and you'll have something solid that should last a long time with options to improve if needed.

Just my .02
the thing wrong with the clone in this case is his two young kids. a clone is too much, way too much for inexperienced riders.

also the motor doesn't seem to be as big of a POS as you say. there are plenty of people here on the forum who say it is a POS, but there are also plenty of people who find the motor is actually pretty good for its small size, but was just under geared to pull any significant weight around. mine, for one, is still pulling my 170# around the same it did as when it was new. it does have a promod J/S kit installed. the small motor with a j/s kit makes the db30 the perfect trainer bike to learn how to ride for smaller/younger kids.

just my .02

:scooter:

TT

Another Day another Doodle!

I'm glad I didn't, but last night I was going to post how well I got the Doodle running. Well, as my title states, it almost seems like a completely different mini bike today. After running great for about 2+ hours yesterday it ran fine for about 5 minutes today and then it started cutting out. After a few more minutes of starting it after it stopping I can't get it to start at all.

I agree that the 6.5 would be too much for "younger" inexperienced riders. For that reason, I think I'll be buying the 99cc version of the Predator engine, modify the crank to accept the 5/8" clutch (I hear it's currently 16mm) and let my daughter enjoy it. I don't mind working on things, but if this occurs everytime I get it out it will get really old really fast.
After some experience I can put a jackshaft kit on it. After some more experience, I'll just buy her a small dirt bike and I'll ride the Doodle. I've got a Burgman 400 and a Honda ST1100 so I really don't need to get my thrills on a mini bike - just leasurely riding for me.

Any ideas for an aftermarket carb? I've seen the 19mm one they have for sale, but hear it's way too big. Will the G100 carb work on this engine (although it probably costs as much as the 99cc Predator)?

Just looking for options!

reading some other threads and also heard that harbor freight is going to have the predator for sale in march for 99.

just might get one of those. even though the stock motor is running good with promods J/S kit on my badger 100, having the db30 with a clone on it makes the guy running on the badger eat dust.

going to have 2 stock db30 engines for sale. one used alot and running good and one used a little and replaced by a hf clone.

TTS

TT, notice i am now signing TTS so i dont impose on y0ur patent!:laugh::laugh:
besides i like TTS! :rolleyes:

TTS

After some searching, I believe the carb off a Honda GX100 will fit the DB engine. But at $35 I don't really want to take the chance.
I believe I'll be going with the Predator 99cc and upgrade as my daughter gets more experience - 1st jackshaft kit (so TTS, please put me in line for the one you're taking off - HF has the 212cc in a current add) - then 6.5 or a small dirt bike.

Just don't know what else to do!

After some searching, I believe the carb off a Honda GX100 will fit the DB engine. But at $35 I don't really want to take the chance.
I believe I'll be going with the Predator 99cc and upgrade as my daughter gets more experience - 1st jackshaft kit (so TTS, please put me in line for the one you're taking off - HF has the 212cc in a current add) - then 6.5 or a small dirt bike.

Just don't know what else to do!
the promod j/s i have is for a stock doodlebug engine. before you buy it, make sure it will fit on the predator engine. im sure it will but not absolutely sure.