DownsBros manual clutch Review Thread

ok, it may work different in other states:shrug: i just went through this same thing, i had to file the claim, i did it on the phone, and received a call the next day... i had to file the claim, because it showed "delivered", which took the burden off of the seller, as they shipped it and it supposedly reach its destination... when something is damaged, they may say it was the shippers fault, etc (not packaged right) and then the burden would be on the shipper....
anyhow, good luck, i sincerely hope it works out for you...
My experience was totally different, I was shipping a set of moto heads for diamond cutting for a customer that shipped them to me, I did powder work, repacked in original box, insured and shipped. They damaged them, I happened to insure the hell out of them for full price plus my work total. as the shipper, I was told by USPS that I was the only one that could file the insurance claim since I shipped it and bought the insurance for the shipment. The customer couldnt even deal with them about his own items. it was a nightmare for me, involved numerous trips to the post office, tons of calls, more trips more time wasted, I lost big time on so many levels.

My experience was totally different, I was shipping a set of moto heads for diamond cutting for a customer that shipped them to me, I did powder work, repacked in original box, insured and shipped. They damaged them, I happened to insure the hell out of them for full price plus my work total. as the shipper, I was told by USPS that I was the only one that could file the insurance claim since I shipped it and bought the insurance for the shipment. The customer couldnt even deal with them about his own items. it was a nightmare for me, involved numerous trips to the post office, tons of calls, more trips more time wasted, I lost big time on so many levels.
damn! i hope this one works out for you! i dont like shipping anything through usps or dealing with them, such a hassle... i havent had issues with priority yet though... all of my orders go to a ups store for the most part, i would get a notification that a package was delivered, go down there and it wasnt there, come to find out, the guy was pre scanning all the boxes for that stop and wouldnt show up for hours later... one, a day later... i guess it all depends on the worker and how much they value the customer... anyhow, i hope it was some sort of mix up and the package shows up monday!

opps, saw that it has been addressed... great company (Downs Bros) to deal with!

I posted this on the original thread, copied and pasted it here now...

I keep checking back in here to see what everyone thinks of their new clutch,
and nothing... Either there are only two or three of us that actually bought one
or everyone else is like, "now that I got one, who the frick are you??":laugh:
frick 'em and forget 'em, right guys:laugh:
I mean really, where are your comments, critiques, reviews...
Did you even get one USPS and if so were you able to get it out of the box?
I'm starting to think the wives intercepted the deliveries, and everyone's grounded from OldMiniBikes/F:thumbsup:

vwfan79

I got mine and have been showing it off but the build that it is going on is not ready yet. As for a visual review the clutch looks and feels solid, I'm very optimistic that its going to perform very well. I will be writing a review with video once the bike is ready and the clutch is on. I'm chomping at the bit to test it out, just don't have anything that I can just bolt it on to due to all my bikes using a clutch band brake. All in good time though.

Can anyone tell me how to contact the Downs Brothers about buying their clutches? I have called and emailed, but cannot get a reply. I am racing three Briggs lawnmower engines. Two have 1" shafts and one has a 11/8 shaft. All are using a #41 chain. I would also like to know the number of teeth on the clutch. Any help is appreciated.
fastforty

Can anyone tell me how to contact the Downs Brothers about buying their clutches? I have called and emailed, but cannot get a reply. I am racing three Briggs lawnmower engines. Two have 1" shafts and one has a 11/8 shaft. All are using a #41 chain. I would also like to know the number of teeth on the clutch. Any help is appreciated.
fastforty
they have been very busy, and as already stated only 3/4" avail. now.. will check and see if another version will be available soon... ill talk with them tomorrow and see if they will check in... they are working on upgrading the clutch to better suit my (and others like my) motor projects...

Downs brothers clutch rip off

For any of you that are thinking about purchasing a downs brothers clutch, be aware of their business practices. I bought and paid for one of these thru paypal and never received it. Sent 4 emails, called 4 times and the only reply that i got was a bogus tracking number.
I called the usps and they said it was non existent. Called the downs boys again no reply, had to open a case thru pay pal. For a lousy $175 bucks.

Just a couple of misguided boys:

Anybody know what's going on with these guys & their clutches ? I was stoked to order one last fall & the reviews were good.......but there's a big time lapse on this thread. Now all the current post are negative:shrug:
Should I just hang onto my money??
Help please :thumbsup:

MB165

they released them right as the weather was getting cold. theres alot of us including myself which are waiting for better / warmer weather to get out and ride

I was going to post about whats happining with the new clutches, But ya I guess most folks are having problems with weather, Most of which isnt good riding times.

I have one, but its just sitting here untill the weather is better and I cant put it on the bike.

I look forward to hearing more reviews..

midtown mini- posting 3 posts in a row isnt going to help out your situation. As it has been stated they are busy people.

Got it all back together... will be testing tomorrow, with different clutch material (i will call hub-B)... and then again with a different motor (more aggressive) and different clutch material (i will call hub-C) ... seems to be much better to began with (as far as i can tell in the garage). I speak to Danny often (although he doesnt typically handle the business end of things). they are not always able to get right back, but they have always responded, in my experience. they both are working hard and i am certain they are not out to rip anyone off. I have had nothing but a pleasant experience with them thus far... in going back and reading this thread from the beginning, you will see that these two gentleman, started out by planting a seed... stuck with it, watered and fertilized it to where it has grown. im proud of them. problems can occur, with something like this. i understand that, hopefully others do to. and hopefully they are able to work through the problems and revise it until it is perfect! then on to version two.. :thumbsup: