DownsBros manual clutch Review Thread

Perhaps try emailing the Downs Brothers, this address is on their site: downsbrosracing@gmail.com

This is the page that address is from: DBR

I bought one of the first 100 clutches and the mounting plate to go with it. If need be I can make you a drawing of the plate so you can make one.

If I recall correctly, its 3/8" aluminum with 8 holes in it.

Jon

Perhaps try emailing the Downs Brothers, this address is on their site: downsbrosracing@gmail.com

This is the page that address is from: DBR

I bought one of the first 100 clutches and the mounting plate to go with it. If need be I can make you a drawing of the plate so you can make one.

If I recall correctly, its 3/8" aluminum with 8 holes in it.

Jon
I tried to go to the site and it's down or not there anymore. I found that e-mail address on paypal from when we bought the clutch. I e-mailed them and i'm waiting for a response. If I don't hear from them in a few days i'll send you my address for that drawing. I'm sure I can make one.

I tried to go to the site and it's down or not there anymore. I found that e-mail address on paypal from when we bought the clutch. I e-mailed them and i'm waiting for a response. If I don't hear from them in a few days i'll send you my address for that drawing. I'm sure I can make one.
Their site opens for me, but the store portion of the site does not open.

Good on making one if you need it!

Their site opens for me, but the store portion of the site does not open.

Good on making one if you need it!

Okay, it looks like maybe I need to update my browser or something at home. I looked at it while I was at work and the web-site was fine. I could even get into their store and ordered the adapter. Thank you. I was starting to worry!:laugh::scooter:

I was actually really excited to learn about a manual clutch for small engine bikes a while back and read a lot about downsbrosracing. However, I found that I could not access their website as well (I tried many browsers and even my phone tried their IP but didn't bother troubleshooting more). Not sure what is wrong their website is up according to the internet.

Ain't none of my business but. If this is happening to more people than me they are losing business and even if this is a problem with my hardware or network and I could email them to order I don't think I would be comfortable giving money to business that doesn't seem (to me) to be able to host a website properly (but that is a personal problem).

Can anyone weigh in on this I would still love to give their clutch a shot?

Last edited:
I don't know. I paid for my adapter plate and sent them an e-mail on Tuesday but no one has responded yet. I'm sure they are busy-but the web-site thing is pretty weird. I guess i'll just patiently wait for my adapter and use an old clutch unitl it arrives. :shrug:

I don't know. I paid for my adapter plate and sent them an e-mail on Tuesday but no one has responded yet. I'm sure they are busy-but the web-site thing is pretty weird. I guess i'll just patiently wait for my adapter and use an old clutch unitl it arrives. :shrug:
It appears that you may have sent this email to my brother's personal email account as I don't see it on the company email. With that, I'll have my brother confirm that we received payment from you for the adapter plate and ship it out to you as soon as possible.

Edit: I just spoke with my brother and that plate got shipped out today.

I was actually really excited to learn about a manual clutch for small engine bikes a while back and read a lot about downsbrosracing. However, I found that I could not access their website as well (I tried many browsers and even my phone tried their IP but didn't bother troubleshooting more). Not sure what is wrong their website is up according to the internet.

Ain't none of my business but. If this is happening to more people than me they are losing business and even if this is a problem with my hardware or network and I could email them to order I don't think I would be comfortable giving money to business that doesn't seem (to me) to be able to host a website properly (but that is a personal problem).

Can anyone weigh in on this I would still love to give their clutch a shot?
We're aware of the issue with our website. We open the store up on a case by case basis for folks that are using the clutch in a novel way. Recall that we are not yet in production- we manufactured and sold 100 clutches at a reduced rate in order to get feedback and make design changes prior to going into mass production. Therefore, we want our clutches going to folks using it in a wide range of applications. Many of the applications are not even related to mini bikes and go karts at all.

With that said, we have received a large amount of feedback and testimonials that have been a driving force in the redesign of the clutch. Many issues have been raised and remedied; the beta test has served us well in that regard.

Currently we are working very hard to complete the redesign of the clutch, make all the necessary design changes, and establish a reputable and quality oriented supply chain. This is taking up a majority of our free time (we're both full time engineers) and it is our priority. Our customer service has suffered, and we are aware of this. Once design, manufacturing, and testing reaches a steadier state things like our website and customer service are going to greatly increase in quality.

We are currently out of stock on the clutch. I'll make sure that my brother posts this as an update on the website so that there is no further confusion. We will be manufacturing and offering 500 more clutches very soon.

Last edited:
We're aware of the issue with our website. We open the store up on a case by case basis for folks that are using the clutch in a novel way. Recall that we are not yet in production- we manufactured and sold 100 clutches at a reduced rate in order to get feedback and make design changes prior to going into mass production. Therefore, we want our clutches going to folks using it in a wide range of applications. Many of the applications are not even related to mini bikes and go karts at all.

With that said, we have received a large amount of feedback and testimonials that have been a driving force in the redesign of the clutch. Many issues have been raised and remedied; the beta test has served us well in that regard.

Currently we are working very hard to complete the redesign of the clutch, make all the necessary design changes, and establish a reputable and quality oriented supply chain. This is taking up a majority of our free time (we're both full time engineers) and it is our priority. Our customer service has suffered, and we are aware of this. Once design, manufacturing, and testing reaches a steadier state things like our website and customer service are going to greatly increase in quality.

We are currently out of stock on the clutch. I'll make sure that my brother posts this as an update on the website so that there is no further confusion. We will be manufacturing and offering 500 more clutches very soon.
Will the torque rating on the 2nd run be higher? And is there any plan to include a locking lever for starting?

Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think the clutch was a myth! Well that explains everything I completely understand and I look forward to your final product! I will be watching and waiting until the day I can say, "TAKE MY DARN MONEY!"

Will the torque rating on the 2nd run be higher? And is there any plan to include a locking lever for starting?
We have had this first clutch run successfully up to about 13 horsepower with no issues. Beyond that point, some users were experiencing a failure of the clutch liner. Our friction liner manufacturer attributed this failure to excessive RPM and temperature. To solve this issue for the production clutch we have done two things: 1. Put cooling fins on the drum to reduce the temperature the friction liner sees. 2. Use a kevlar friction liner that can withstand the additional temperature and rubbing speed.

We actually have a few customers running the kevlar liner on 20+hp engines with some success. The liner is no longer the failing point but the clutch can still get very hot. The cooling fins will solve this problem.

With that said, we don't feel comfortable assigning a torque rating just yet, but I am confident that it will be adequate for any 3/4" shaft engine out there.

It appears that you may have sent this email to my brother's personal email account as I don't see it on the company email. With that, I'll have my brother confirm that we received payment from you for the adapter plate and ship it out to you as soon as possible.

Edit: I just spoke with my brother and that plate got shipped out today.
AWESOME!!! I'm excited.

We have had this first clutch run successfully up to about 13 horsepower with no issues. Beyond that point, some users were experiencing a failure of the clutch liner. Our friction liner manufacturer attributed this failure to excessive RPM and temperature. To solve this issue for the production clutch we have done two things: 1. Put cooling fins on the drum to reduce the temperature the friction liner sees. 2. Use a kevlar friction liner that can withstand the additional temperature and rubbing speed.

We actually have a few customers running the kevlar liner on 20+hp engines with some success. The liner is no longer the failing point but the clutch can still get very hot. The cooling fins will solve this problem.

With that said, we don't feel comfortable assigning a torque rating just yet, but I am confident that it will be adequate for any 3/4" shaft engine out there.
This may be a dumb questions, but when the new and improved clutch is for sale-will you be selling parts to upgrade the clutch I have?

Apparently as of late there web site is down.
downsbrosracing.com

Ones guess if they are available still.
Kinda sad really, it had some real potential, they after all are to dudes just making it by.