Dr. Shop: Still Standing and Limping Along

Many thanks to those of you that have offered well wishes prior to my (third) back surgery. Unfortunately, the hospital computer system had a catastrophic failure this am, and all seven served hospitals and providers had serious delays. My surgery was canceled at 11:00 AM because early patients had not yet made it into the OR. Some had been waiting since 5:15 AM.:doah:

So, we wait until the system is functional and my surgeon can get OR time for me. For now, I'm back home. Guess I'll start cleaning up the 3hp Briggs engines awaiting on the work bench. :thumbsup:

Happy Holidays!

catfishman

what are you having done? fusion? i put off having a microdiscectomy about 5 years ago, have done pretty well, i have some sciatica and piriformis pain flare ups now and then. the last on lasted about 2 months, thought i was doomed, it finally went away. wish you the best when you get it done.

Well that's bitter sweet isn't it. Nice to hear from you Pete
Thanks, I sent you a pm also...appreciated the message!

what are you having done? fusion? i put off having a microdiscectomy about 5 years ago, have done pretty well, i have some sciatica and piriformis pain flare ups now and then. the last on lasted about 2 months, thought i was doomed, it finally went away. wish you the best when you get it done.
This one is a fusion of L5-S1. The partial laminectomy failed from last October. Had L4-L5 done in 2011--foot drop and horrific pain. Current pain has been non-stop since before Windber and worsens as the day goes on--driving anything but my Durango hurts bad (and the SUV ain't great) leaving me no hope of zooming around in the BMW--which hurts even more!:laugh: Not to mention real any time on my bikes...

Sounds like my luck. Hope your feeling better real soon.:thumbsup:
Thanks, Karen. With my luck, surgery will be during the build-off and I had plans...:laugh:

Last edited:
I had a back surgery postponed 2 years ago this week - I found out the day before instead of the day of.

Some problem with my blood test. Long story short, by the time they got everything straightened out (several months) I opted for physical therapy rather than surgery. I'm still not 100% but I wouldn't have been 100% after fusion either. Maybe it's for the best. :thumbsup:

I had a back surgery postponed 2 years ago this week - I found out the day before instead of the day of.

Some problem with my blood test. Long story short, by the time they got everything straightened out (several months) I opted for physical therapy rather than surgery. I'm still not 100% but I wouldn't have been 100% after fusion either. Maybe it's for the best. :thumbsup:
Wow! Blood tests always worry me...I was just coming off of the flu and my values were screwed. Wish I could opt for PT (I swore by a Chiropractor for years). The issue for me is the remaining disc ruptured into more pieces and the frags press on the nerves feeding both of my legs--the left is worse than the right. After last year's surgery, the doctor said the frags were so big they were suitable for framing.:laugh:

buckeye

Go complete computerized they said.. what could go wrong?
I friggin hate dealing with all computer communication with the hospital.
You do most of the work they use to do.

Sorry to hear you got glitched this time.

Go complete computerized they said.. what could go wrong?
I friggin hate dealing with all computer communication with the hospital.
You do most of the work they use to do.

Sorry to hear you got glitched this time.
You certainly know best. I was amazed (as always) about how professional the staff were. Yep, we got a problem and bent over backwards for patients. You ever want to leave BamaLama and come to Virginia, Winchester Medical Center is the place to work (Valley Health).

Hello Pete...sorry to hear your surgery got cancelled. I hope they are able to get you rescheduled, and out of pain very soon.

Last edited:
Well if for not bad luck , no luck . I look at these type of things as a reason to drink more beer ! Good luck Pete whenever they clear up the technical difficulties , Have the prices dropped on your sale items , lol . Best to you Brother !!

CarPlayLB

Well if for not bad luck , no luck . I look at these type of things as a reason to drink more beer ! Good luck Pete whenever they clear up the technical difficulties , Have the prices dropped on your sale items , lol . Best to you Brother !!
OH YEAH! The Chipper is on fire tonight! Cheap Bast$%#d!

More minibike time is great therapy Pete!

OH YEAH! The Chipper is on fire tonight! Cheap Bast$%#d!

More minibike time is great therapy Pete!
Ang--I tapped the Merlot tonight....but I chugged it like a brewski.:drinkup: If you want somethin', send me a PM (if you're serious :laugh:), I can do deals for those that share tight RV parking spots!

Eric-- I'm looking forward to some quality time with the 3hp Briggs engines sitting on the bench, and yeah, Angelo is always squeezing a beer can in one hand and pennies out of the other!:laugh:

Dang Pete!! Wishing you the best outcome brother!! I'm dealing with a bad case of spinal stenosis myself......damned if you do......damned if you don't!! I'm going to hold out as I'm only 44!!