Dr. Shop Teacher's JFF Gilson Knight Rider

Very nice work! Looks way better than mine with the cable stop welded to the throttle arm.
nice pete, alot cleaner looking then the vintage throttle setup.
Great work as usual , she's really coming together !!
Thanks guys!:thumbsup: Took a lot longer to figure out than I expected but it's something that [MENTION=31879]CarPlayLB[/MENTION] oughta talk the boss into having stamped as a retrofit. Two simple parts to modify the fixed throttle for late model big blocks. :shrug:

Fuel Tank--It's shiny

Installed the fuel tank today. First thing I had to do was open up the factory neck opening to accommodate powder and the slightly larger diameter of the neck. I made a jig to center the hole saw in the opening.

I drilled from the underside just in case the hole saw walked:

Then I laid out the strap locations. Note that 1/4" holes are a little off the guide pattern as I had to set square on the diagonals which slightly moved the corners.

The tank from the front (Now you know why I filled the original tank strap slots):

Side view showing stainless straps:

Top view with cap (it's steel and only looks like billet):

Fits like a glove with the seat in place.

The tank is a BAM Manufacturing Aluminum tank which I ordered un-spun. It'll be sanded and polished to match all the other aluminum parts.

I ordered the AntiGravity Battery, voltage rectifier and trickle charger last night. Should be here over the weekend. Next tasks are modeling the exhaust and drawing up a CAD of the chain and clutch covers.

Last edited:
Clutch Guard

Used Delta CAD to create the pattern for the clutch guard today. The pattern is a near duplicate of the original guard with one exception: the bulge is 6.5" in diameter to accommodate the TAV driver. The design may change just a bit depending on how the pattern clears the driven clutch.

The tank is a BAM Manufacturing Aluminum tank which I ordered un-spun. It'll be sanded and polished to match all the other aluminum parts.
Go easy on the tank; wall thickness is only .063". I inquired about wall thickness a few months ago because I didn't see that info on their website; their reply was that all tanks are .063" except for 12" dia tanks which are .090".

Patterns

Dropped these off at the welder on Monday. The clutch and chain guards will be out of 1/8" aluminum. Still need to fab the mounting bracket for the clutch guard. I also provided a full size set of drawings to refer to.

Chain Guard.

Clutch Guard:

Frustum for the clutch cone:

How it looks on the frame. I did narrow the band to 1.25."

Nice job! Really good job on the layout.. I teach Mastercam for a Mastercam reseller and let me tell you most of the 20year guys I see in class couldn't produce a print like the one you did!!

red baron

Say what you will but there are days I don't use math but dang it if there isn't a day I don't use the cutting and coloring skills I learned in kindergarten lol. Your doing a great job!

Nice job! Really good job on the layout.. I teach Mastercam for a Mastercam reseller and let me tell you most of the 20year guys I see in class couldn't produce a print like the one you did!!
Say what you will but there are days I don't use math but dang it if there isn't a day I don't use the cutting and coloring skills I learned in kindergarten lol. Your doing a great job!
Thanks, guys. Been a long time since I've been on a board and t-square (let alone a virtual one, :laugh:). I'm just glad my printer is giving me full scale prints that are accurate!

Final Design: Rear Caliper Bracket

Unable to do any physical work for a couple of days, so I burned gray matter working on the final design for the rear caliper bracket. This design is slightly different as I was able to accurately locate the pads of the caliper on the outside radius of the disc. If you look to the uppermost mounting point, you'll see it's a curved slot allowing the upper caliper locking bolt to adjust about 3/8" on the axis of the lower caliper bolt. This will give a x-y-z adjusting capability. The lower mounting hole is not slotted because the centerline of the caliper passes directly through that point. Dimensions are all built off the 5/8" axle centerline.