Dr. Shop Teacher's - "Lil" Indian Model 600 - (Vintage Class)

Oh man..
This one is testing you huh?
Tom, (and I said this to OND, too) don't ever consider a two speed. Holy $**T. It might work on a larger frame bike, but this mini-mini doesn't have any wiggle room. If I had the brain power (and the cash), I might try to engineer the correct combination and have Jim Donovan build the whole thing. As it is, I'm making it work with probably the wrong tooth counts for the PTO to Jackshaft distance.

I just have to wait for the last piece.

Light at the end of the tunnel....

Got an email from Jim Donovan, and talked shortly after, below is the text of the email which is kind of interesting...

Peter -- Got it done late yesterday afternoon and I will say it looks nice. Grinding off the teeth of the 12 tooth took longer than I would have thought but my machinist said since the pieces were brazed together he didn't want to get it hot and kept dunking it in water. The he put it in the lathe to true it up and bring the OD down to fit the bore of our 1" 13 tooth heat treated sprocket. He had a tight press fit and then he tack welded it. The last thing he had to do was hone the bore so the bushings would slide in easy since it did shrink from the weld.

When you get it back, take the bushing and let them soak in some 30 weight oil. Better yet read my web site under "tips" on how to prep chains and bushings. The paraffin wax is the secret to keeping the oil in the bushing.

Still want to see a picture of the finished product. I sure would write the story on all the problems you ran into when trying to get the 2 speed jackshaft to work. How the hell Comet sold that unit if the chain tension was so far off no matter what you did to correct it. Tells me they made a product but never really tested it themselves.

Jim

Light , that's a good thing ! I'd have broke and destroyed crap in my shop if I had to go thru all you have dealt with . Pete you are a man with great patience !

Modified Secondary Clutch

Here's the MaxTorque modified clutch. Bushings are soaking in oil. Hopefully, this puppy gets buttoned up tomorrow....hopefully, I said, "hopefully," right?:shrug:

Will we be going to PLAN "F"??????????

"Why no!," exclaimed the very frazzled ex-shop teacher.

This took much longer than it should have this morning....four trips to the hardware store later the jackshaft assembly was together.

Between the clutch and the radial bearing is a bronze shim to space the two apart.

This end prompted the multiple trips...to keep the radial bearing from flying apart, I needed a bushing/washer and that ended up being a 9/16" grade 8 washer which has a 5/8" ID. I polished it and applied grease to the inner facing side. On the outside, a machine bushing backs up to a clip. The clutch bell was locked to the jackshaft in two places to keep the shaft centered.

On the output side, I needed two machine bushings to get the sprocket off the bearing. The sprocket and the locking collar are also locked into the jackshaft with set screws.

Another view...

And, it works! Chain tension is a little tight in this photo and it was loosened a tad. I used a old piece of chain on the inside just because if it didn't work, I didn't want to waste another length of chain. It'll get soaked in PBBlaster and lubed.

So, outside we went to fire up the Lil Nightmare and see what it would do. I had to completely rebuild the throttle assembly and change out the return spring (lighter tension) to get the engine to throttle up high enough to engage the secondary clutch. Once the throttle was sorted...up the driveway and onto the street. Shazzzzz-aaaa-mmmm!

It ain't no H60, but this little thing motors right along!
:scooter:

Last edited: