Dr. Shop Teacher's - "Lil" Indian Model 600 - (Vintage Class)

Grinding away: Off with the remains!

Spent about an hour too long grinding off the remains of the added pieces. My recliner is very comfortable right now.:thumbsup:
The previous owner did a nice job welding his added pieces which made it all the more difficult to get them off without damaging the frame. I cleaned up some divots from it's days of being ridden hard and will have to get some fill in a couple of places. At the neck tube, you can still see the wire used to tie the neck to the frame to be welded (I'll have to get a pic of that). I used 60, 80 and 120 flap disks to grind the extras off.

Here are some pics of the rest of the work:

Attachments

Foot Rests

(From 1/3/17) The foot rests had seen better days. I cut the remains of the Hunt Wilde covers off and surveyed the damage. You could certainly tell that the Mirchina Bros. were flying to get these bikes shipped. The foot rests are not centered and there's a 3/4" difference side to side. I was able to straighten them out with a propane torch and a 3/8" rod forced through along with a little hammering. The tube is very soft metal and the original stick weld was probably too hot so there is some warpage. I do need to add some weld to fix cracks right at the original welds. The tube ends need to be cleaned up which will center the footrest.

Last edited:
Anyone who would do that to a two speed frame should be shot! Nice job so far pete--hope your feeling better--cheers.
The PO didn't know what he had.:doah: He knew it was a Lil Indian, but that was it. Bike is coming along faster than I thought---though I have to remember to not push it. I'm tired tonight! So, yes, I'm on the mend but won't be shoveling any snow we might get over the next 48 hrs. :no:

You might be better off cutting that foot bar off and replace with a new one. That's what I did. The DOM tubing is not that expensive.
I'm going to look at that after I strip the frame. It has some original booger welds that may make life interesting. I'm kind of torn...if I fix everything, do I risk diminishing the historical value of the bike? It needs some welding at the engine plate where the frame tube ends meet (I think to make it safer). Should i leave it alone?

After removing the appendages, the tubes are not perfect despite being as careful as I could be. I have no intentions of a "concours" restoration as I could never afford what it would cost to assemble the requisite parts. The Mirchina Bros., while trying for some level of quality control, cut corners to roll these out the door (according to Allied). In my mind, I think it's best leave some of it with warts.

Weigh in folks!:confused::shrug::confused:

Pete...........what kinda darn pills you on ?!?!? :laugh: I need some ! :rockon: Great work Pete... I always enjoy threads. :thumbsup:

Pete...........what kinda darn pills you on ?!?!? :laugh: I need some ! :rockon: Great work Pete... I always enjoy threads. :thumbsup:
Eric, NONE now. :thumbsup:I hated the Hydrocodone as I was in La-La Land and then the the agony those pills cause the lower GI tract.:no: This bike is teeny-tiny:laugh: so time is relative to scale. This is the easy stuff....

Can't wait to see what you are you to.
Tom, I think folks will like the color combo and engine scheme. Not quite original but true to the history of the bike.:thumbsup:

coming along nicely Pete , I'd completely remove existing foot pegs and start fresh ( they don't look strong enough to do any jumping ) , also sometimes a tad longer make for a better fit for our large adult feet !! But of course not too long as to keep the original look !

More Archaeology and parts huntin'

Not much to report today as the weather is changing causing my incision and bones to respond inappropriately...:laugh::doah:
I did find flange bushings to replace the copper pipe stuck in the neck and just need to run over to Lowe's to get them. Did some more figuring on steel bar and tube needed and searched some more for 1 5/8" OD x 1 3/8" ID DOM for the jackshaft tube--need a source.

Did a little stripping to peel back the layers of paint to try to find the original color. I found red, orange, yellow and green so I'm going to stick with a variation of red which was what these bikes were supposed to ship with.

coming along nicely Pete , I'd completely remove existing foot pegs and start fresh ( they don't look strong enough to do any jumping ) , also sometimes a tad longer make for a better fit for our large adult feet !! But of course not too long as to keep the original look !
Ang, yeah pretty much decided to do that today.:thumbsup:

Actually the motor plate was in excellent condition. I just had to cut that extra chunk of iron off.:laugh: I used that chuck of iron plate to make the fork pinching plates.:laugh:

delray

hey pete the color yellow you found . does it look more like a primer yellow and also did you find the orange color on top of the yelllow.