Dr. Shop Teacher's Ruttman Vintage Class Build-off Entry

hiding downstairs keeps me out of my wife's burning eyeballs!:laugh:
What is it with wives and their burning eyeballs anyway? What's not to understand about grown men spending absurd amounts of time and sometimes money on 50 year old bikes meant for kids? "But honey....I'm in the build off and if I don't finish on time I have to wear a red nose and post it for all the guys to see" :laugh:

What is it with wives and their burning eyeballs anyway? What's not to understand about grown men spending absurd amounts of time and sometimes money on 50 year old bikes meant for kids? "But honey....I'm in the build off and if I don't finish on time I have to wear a red nose and post it for all the guys to see" :laugh:
I figure I could be doing far more stupid things than building bikes and living the dream. We didn't have the money for toys when I was growing up...so I'm making up for lost time.:scooter:

I figure I could be doing far more stupid things than building bikes and living the dream. We didn't have the money for toys when I was growing up...so I'm making up for lost time.:scooter:
That's a true statement right there. I feel the same way and my wife is very cool with it so I have nothing to complain about. Your project is coming along nice. The forks cleaned up great

Frame Stripped

Some months ago, I had the long-ago butchered in "zig-zag" mounting holes welded up on the engine plate and had the left (clutch side) rear wheel mounting plate filled with weld as it had been worn down by an improperly spaced drive sprocket. Nothing else had been done since then. So today I stripped the frame.

As mentioned in an earlier post, this bike had been rode hard and put up wet. There are nicks, dings and divots all over the place. A lot of sanding and filing needs to take place to get it ready for coating. I decided today that the only way to bring this bike back to presentable condition is to powder coat it. I could spend days coating the whole bike with Bondo and sanding or flap disk and polish the worst parts and let the powder coat fill the minor dings.

Took about 2.5 hours to get it stripped and cleaned up. So now the forks and frame are ready for tweaking. OldMiniBikes shipped my first order, Not So Minibike (Karl) hooked me up with a new drive sprocket, I bought a set of NOS grips from Biffmini, and I think I have a brake handle running around. Just need to order tires and brake band for the clutch, order a seat from Manchester1 (Karen) and source fenders. For tires, I'm torn between Carlisle Sno-hogs and Chin Shengs. I really like the side wall and tread pattern of the Sno-hogs but Chin Shengs are period correct.

Attachments

Looking real good--it's amazing how badly some people beat these bikes up! Will be following this build--love Ruttmans and Little Indians!

That frame came out nice. I giggle when I see some other guy stripping paint too. It is the most unpleasant part of restoration. I use steel wool with the stripper still on it, because I love pain. (It gets in to the older pitted angle iron if a bike was built that way)

I agree with the snow hogs- all of the bikes built with them look good like that.

Frame is looking good Pete....and those Sno Hogs are going to set this bike off ! Good choice..:thumbsup:
I got the rest of the frame cleaned up as best as I could today...little bit of flap sanding and dremel work. I think the hogs are going to look good on the polished wheels.

That frame came out nice. I giggle when I see some other guy stripping paint too. It is the most unpleasant part of restoration. I use steel wool with the stripper still on it, because I love pain. (It gets in to the older pitted angle iron if a bike was built that way)

I agree with the snow hogs- all of the bikes built with them look good like that.
Thanks, yes, stripping is the "hard" way but you know what you have when you're done. I use a wire brush, then wool and finally a wheel. I had a heck of a time with acupuncture yesterday...the wire wheel kept throwing off strands which punctured my left hand at least four times!:laugh:

That's a great deal on the tires Pete!
Shopping around...this bike could end up costing a small fortune if I don't watch it!:laugh:

Hard to Beat Summit on tires , what exact size did you purchase , I have them on a few bikes and love them , Looking good !
Great price...I got the 4.10/3.50 x 6 tires. I could have gone a bigger size but didn't want to overwhelm the fenders.

Off to Powdercoat

No pics today as what I did wouldn't have been visible. I cleaned up the worst of the divots in the frame with a flap disk and wire wheel. A little Dremel work in the tight areas for some errant weld splatter. Cleaned up the wheel spacers and was able to recycle the original front wheel bolts. Looks like they were chrome at one time. The rear wheel bolts had to be replaced and I picked up four new ones and eight all-steel stop nuts at True Value. The new bolts and nuts have the correct delta stamp to match the front wheel bolts (talk about luck).

Took the frame over to a new-in-town powder coating shop. Looked at a bunch of samples and got a good deal on purple metallic that is just a bit richer than Mopar Plum Crazy. They are slammed with work and what I saw was beautiful. $120 for the job and they will have the bike done in a week or so. This was about $85 cheaper than the last shop I used for my first bike (a Nighthawk in gloss black). Karen has my seat order; and OldMiniBikes delivered axle and head bolts, bearings and brake/clutch guard yesterday.

So, we are in idle until the frame is back. Going to work a bit more on the wheels and redo some stuff on the HS40 (new carb and polish intake manifold).

Nice work on the frame Pete :thumbsup: You know they have these things called gloves :laugh:
Oh, you mean the thingies that keep your fingers from getting reshaped by flapper and grinding wheels? :confused: My left index and middle finger knuckles have chunks missing for some reason....:eek:hmy: I did find one leather glove today and gave it try...dang, the thingie works!:grind::rolleyes:

You got to try the blaster next time. Saving those pinkies for the next bike is important:laugh:. Great job so far.

The Other Doc (lol)

Thanks for tire size , a have the same set I bought from trinik , after the build off I have a Ruttman Spider and I may just use them ! Thanks

Wheels Redux

The more I looked at the wheels, the less I liked the finish. So I started from scratch again. Wet sanded beginning with 220, then 320, 400 and finally 600 grit. After that I polished with a Dremel pad and white buffing wheel compound. The Sno Hogs arrived today, so I installed the new bearings from OldMiniBikes and put together the front wheel and tire. Pleased with the look. Not so mini bike is shipping me a replacement drive sprocket, so the rear wheel remains unassembled. The photos show original sanding to get the corrosion off, first polish that I didn't like, wet sanding and final polishing. Few more days until the frame is back...so we'll tackle detailing the engine next. Need to order some new frame caps for the top tubes.

Attachments