Drift Trike Build

Mods feel free to move to the more than 2 wheels section if that is more appropriate but as an active build I thought this seemed a more fitting place. After determining my Snow Bike build wasn't for me and not having any luck selling it I've decided to use parts off it to build a drift trike.

I found a bike off Craigslist to use for the front end.

I ordered a drift trike axle kit, tire sleeves from OldMiniBikes, some steel from my uncle's weld shop and a pipe bender from Harbor Freight. Time to build....

Breaking the bead on my Snow Bike tires so I could use the wheels. I wanted to use the tires but I couldn't find sleeves big enough to fit.

New 10.5 x 4.5-6 tires mounted on my 6.5 x 6 wheels from my Snow Bike with drift trike sleeves from OldMiniBikes.

Rear axle assembled with bearings, sprocket and disc brake. Can anyone tell me if I have the locking collars in the right place? They came with the kit but I'm not real familiar with go kart live axle setups.

Starting to plan. The seat is a tractor seat from eBay and the engine is the original Tecumseh HM80 from my Snow Bike. I was going to put it on a Fox Trail Tramp project I have but for now it will go here.

I bent the main sections of my frame and tacked them to a 7" wide piece of steel so they would stand on their own. I placed that on wood so it was at approximate ride height. From there I was able to tack them to the bike's downtube.

Footpegs were the first thing I added to the main frame. I had made the main frame tubes a little long so I could work my way back and cut them off where needed. Once the footpegs where on I tested the seat and got that mounted to the frame.

From there I could figure out where my axle was going so I bent up the side wings of the frame, mounted them and the axle hangers.

Frame pretty much mocked up. Need to make a torque converter driven pulley mount and a brake caliper mount as well as get the engine bolted down.

Are there any kind of simple fuel pumps that would allow me to pump fuel up to this engine? I probably should have left a little more room between the seat and engine so I could hang a gas tank off the front of the engine. Right now that would be really tight. I have a lot of room below the seat or in front of the seat but I would need to pump the fuel to the carb some how. The engine does have a lighting coil and the extra shaft coming out of the side of the engine because it's off a snowblower. Don't know if I could use either of those somehow.

Might look pretty cool to mount a round tank to the top of the engine. Otherwise, you can use the standard pulse actuated fuel pump, but I don't know how well they pump "distance" for, or how much the maximum lift is.

I know people use PVC or plastic wheel covers to make them slide around. But with the torque that engine is capable of, couldn't you go with go kart slicks? You could make smoke then. I do it with a go kart and a lot less power.

I am a fan of good design, and fabrication. This trike looks very cool the way you laid it out and fabricated it, and I like the way you're documenting it here. :thumbsup:

Might look pretty cool to mount a round tank to the top of the engine. Otherwise, you can use the standard pulse actuated fuel pump, but I don't know how well they pump "distance" for, or how much the maximum lift is.

I know people use PVC or plastic wheel covers to make them slide around. But with the torque that engine is capable of, couldn't you go with go kart slicks? You could make smoke then. I do it with a go kart and a lot less power.

I am a fan of good design, and fabrication. This trike looks very cool the way you laid it out and fabricated it, and I like the way you're documenting it here. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I think if I can build a small, round tank in front of the engine I'll do that for simplicity's sake. I had hoped to use some of the other tanks I have lying around but they are all too big. If all else fails I'll get a fuel pump and give that a try.

I'm interested in seeing how this performs without sleeves but I think the sleeves are the ticket to easier sliding. I don't think I'll have any problem getting the tires to spin without sleeves but I don't think it will maintain a burnout. It will probably fun with or without. Sleeves are also cheaper at about $45/pair versus $60/pair for tires.

I wish I hadn't seen this thread! Now I am looking thru craigslist looking for a mongose fat tire bike to buy and cut up. I guess I have to do something with all these extra motors I have :)

I wish I hadn't seen this thread! Now I am looking thru craigslist looking for a mongose fat tire bike to buy and cut up. I guess I have to do something with all these extra motors I have :)
I know the feeling. Once I decided to do this I feel like I was checking Craigslist every hour hoping for something to pop up. I really wasn't looking for a fat tire bike but this one popped up for a decent price so I got it.

Next thing to tackle was the torque converter. I'm using a Comet 30 Series because I already have it. I needed to make a TAV2-like backing plate to hold the driven clutch. First I cut some PVC on my cnc router to mock it up. I'm glad I did this as it took several tries to get the angle in relation to the engine where I wanted it.

Plate built. It will get some additional bracing. Everything on this project is just tacked together for now so any changes are as easy as possible.

Mounted loosely.

Next up is trying to get the brake caliper mounted and a lever built.

I have a good start on one but I decided to join in the Build off and it was set aside. Waiting to be finished. The frame is fully welded and the seat mount is complete. Mine uses a fat 26 inch tire and fork off of a Mongoose bike. I am anxious to get it done and try it out.

Make sure you center your sleeves or they will walk off the tire. You actually might have to narrow the sleeves so that the tire can bite both sides of the sleeve.

Its looking good I wish mine was that far along... :thumbsup:

Here is a shot of the frame.

Its current state of disregard...

Doug

Last edited:
Ole, I know the feeling. I saw a video and that was it. I had to have one. If the link will work here is the video that got my interest started. He sells frames too, if you wanted to go that route. I bought a prebent kit. If I had it to do again I would have just bent my own.

Doug

Well the link wont post for some reason. Cut and paste this into YouTube and watch this video if you want to get hooked... Its bad to the bone.

Motorized Drift Trike - SFD Industries

Last edited:
What diameter is the tube? I have a pro tools tubing bender but only have 1" and 7/8 inch dies. I found a place that sells the frame bits ready to weld for 225 about what a new die would cost if I need to go bigger than 1 "

What diameter is the tube? I have a pro tools tubing bender but only have 1" and 7/8 inch dies. I found a place that sells the frame bits ready to weld for 225 about what a new die would cost if I need to go bigger than 1 "
Mine is 1 1/4'' .090 wall. I can provide you with the measurements and angles if you want to build one. Keep in mind that mine is set up for the 26 inch front wheel. Which I like a lot. Most motorized trikes use the 26'' front wheel and most gravity trikes use the 20 inch wheel. Did you watch the video?

Doug

I'm using 3/4" schedule 40 pipe for most of this. Bends pretty nicely in my Harbor Freight pipe bender.

I'm using 3/4" schedule 40 pipe for most of this. Bends pretty nicely in my Harbor Freight pipe bender.
Well there is this old saying.....

Pipe is for water... Conduit is for wire... Tubing is for welding... :shrug:

A long time ago I built a go kart for my nephew out or that stuff and while it was strong it weighed a ton. I had to reinforce the spindle mounts to stop them from bending and increasing the camber. Never moved after I triangulated them. It was a good gokart for him to have a lot of fun on. He wore a brand new 6 horse Tecumseh out on that thing.

Doug

It took a couple tries to get the right size and geometry to make the caliper work correctly but I finally got a brake lever setup that I think looks good and will function well.

I cut the V-brakes bosses off the back of the bike frame and tacked them to the front forks of the drift trike.

It took a couple tries to get the right size and geometry to make the caliper work correctly but I finally got a brake lever setup that I think looks good and will function well.

Curiosity question. Why a pull handle brake instead of a handlebar mounted lever or a foot pedal. I haven't gotten to the brake fab yet on mine but I have the same caliper and thought I would ask. I used the same caliper on my Barstool Racer and it will grab the rotor much faster than you think. So you have to apply with some thought until you get the feel for it. Good move putting the brakes on the front wheel. You will use them more than you think so I have been told.

My hole fear on these things is the brakes over powering the sleeves and then you end up with flat spots on the sleeves..... That would take all the fun out of it having built in rumble strips....

I have a second set of tires and wheels for mine so I can get out and just ride... Should be different....

Looking good man I know it will be fun. If I can ever get this build off bike finished I will get mine finished. I cant wait to play with it.

Doug

Curiosity question. Why a pull handle brake instead of a handlebar mounted lever or a foot pedal.
It more closely resembles the American "Drift Culture" acumen. I can see it as an artistic impression of that, which is probably where these drift trikes got their beginnings from. (We didn't use brakes on our friend's little brother's "Big Wheels" in the 60's, and we didn't use the E brakes while Touge racing in Japan in the 80's)

I love the artistry and attention to detail on this. Asking a braking question on a machine riding on PVC is irrelevant. :laugh: Most of all, you're off the throttle and have the right hand free when grabbing the E brake, although hanging the "eff" on while doing 360's , might be a bit dicey.

Curiosity question. Why a pull handle brake instead of a handlebar mounted lever or a foot pedal. I haven't gotten to the brake fab yet on mine but I have the same caliper and thought I would ask. I used the same caliper on my Barstool Racer and it will grab the rotor much faster than you think. So you have to apply with some thought until you get the feel for it. Good move putting the brakes on the front wheel. You will use them more than you think so I have been told.

My hole fear on these things is the brakes over powering the sleeves and then you end up with flat spots on the sleeves..... That would take all the fun out of it having built in rumble strips....

I have a second set of tires and wheels for mine so I can get out and just ride... Should be different....

Looking good man I know it will be fun. If I can ever get this build off bike finished I will get mine finished. I cant wait to play with it.

Doug
My reasoning for this brake system was simplicity and cost. I've also used this caliper before on a pretty heavy mini bike and I know it will lock up this pvc very easily. I couldn't justify the cost of hydraulic brake kit when this provides all the stopping power needed. Making a pull handle just kept everything simple and cheaper than making a foot pedal or handlebar mounted lever. I will have a handlebar mounted lever to operate the front brake. I like building and riding but not really fixing so I try to make things simple and easy to fix while still looking good.

I think I have 6 or more gas tanks of different shapes and sizes around but nothing really worked for what I need to I decided to section this tank and make it into what I need. I didn't really want to cut up a nice looking tank but it's pretty big and I tend to build small so I probably wouldn't use it on anything else.

Sectioned and tacked back together.

I bought a pair of bmx pegs off Amazon to put on my foot pegs but they were much smaller than I expected. I guess that is what you get for buying the cheapest thing you can find. It was the perfect size to dress up my brake lever so I cut that down, welded a bolt in the end and threaded it on.

As she sits today. Hope to get the gas tank mounted tonight.