Drill Bits

I have been having so much problems trying to drill just one frickin hole in steel. Sometimes, no problem. Other times, problem. I've tried alittle bit of oil, but that don't work. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of drill bits to use to drill into steel, or even a drill bit Sharpener? Thanks. :shrug:

Yep, I drill slow. Maybe I need new drill bits. Any suggestions on the type of drill bit set, that will last me. Or maybe a drill bit sharpener that's less than $100.00? I buy drill bit sets and they either break or dull out like you said. I need something that will last, so that I can finish my Projects.

Shorty

Just buy some good bits, and take care of them with oil as you drill.
Remember, you get what you pay for. Cheap price = cheap bits.

Yep Your right. Guess I'll have to invest in a really good set. Thanks for Your Help. I sure do appreciate it. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :smile:

OK, It depends what your drilling. Sounds like your drilling high carbon steel like " bed frames". High carbon steel you need to drill at low rpms and use a good oil for coolant. You can use tranny fluid or something thicker then wd40. Mild steel you can use what ever rpm you want and the bits really don't heat up unless the metal is thick. Now the bit sharpener I use is a craftsman jobbie. I like them better then the drill doctor

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...+bit+sharpener&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

You will need a bench grinder to attach it to..................

I'm drilling Motor mount plates on Mini bikes. I don't know how to use that Drill bit Sharpener that you showed me. I have a bench grinder. :shrug:

get a set of 135* bits. i bought a set 8 or so years ago and they worked great. get a 118* bit and a 135* bit and you will see a big difference in how much easier they go thru material. my 2cents.

OK, I inherited this thing but I also owned a drill doctor " I think that's what they called them". This is the better choice. I would get some other opinions other then just mine and read a whole bunch of reviews before you buy anything........ View attachment 18982

View attachment 18983

View attachment 18984
Thanks for the Info and Pics. I used to work for a Family owned business that had CNC Machines and Screw Machines. These Screw Machines made all kinds of Screw parts for Cars, with Threads in them. They were World War II Machines. They used to make Shells for Weapons. Well, I ran a CNC machine and I used to watch these guys run these Screw Machines. Well every so often they had to take out there Cutters and sharpen them. Well they had this Vise like thing that was hooked to a grinder. They would put the Cutter in there and go back and forth and sparks were flying all over, a few minutes later and they were done. They eye balled the cutter and said, yep, that's good. They got me to try it, and I messed it all up. They said it was easy, but then they took it from me and fixed it with no problem. I guess I'll stick with buying a new set of bits. Thanks....:thumbsup: :smile:

get a set of 135* bits. i bought a set 8 or so years ago and they worked great. get a 118* bit and a 135* bit and you will see a big difference in how much easier they go thru material. my 2cents.
Thanks Man, I'll try those. Thank You all for your Time. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :smile:

Don't give up!!!! That's how you learn, by screwing up and doing it all over again. I went through two sets of nice bits before I found the instructions and figured out what to do. If your messing with mini's you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Go and buy you some new bits and when you get bored and get some extra cash try out a bit sharpener. once you figure it out it will save you some money. Money that you can put toward the minibikes that your working on.

Don't give up!!!! That's how you learn, by screwing up and doing it all over again. I went through two sets of nice bits before I found the instructions and figured out what to do. If your messing with mini's you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Go and buy you some new bits and when you get bored and get some extra cash try out a bit sharpener. once you figure it out it will save you some money. Money that you can put toward the minibikes that your working on.
Thanks, I appreciate your time and Knowledge. I won't give up. :thumbsup: :smile: