Drill Press Bang for Buck - without sacrifice

Ok, I have rougly $300 from some left over bday cash/expense reports to throw at a "tool" for my garage. I was thinking a drill press would be good for the 'next in line' list.

Can you guys make a suggestion or two on a good quality press that I will be happy with and durable enough to last several years in this price range? I dont have a sturdy table top to mount it on, but am planning on building one over the winter, so I definitely want a table top unit, not floor standing.

I don't know the first thing to look for when purchasing a press.
For instance, if I were looking at a car, I'd want power windows, cruise control, automatic seats, that type of stuff.

What are the absolute "amenities/luxuries" to look for in a press when selecting one?

Links to particular models would be great at say...Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc... local stores that I can go buy at.

Thanks,
mmb

Last edited:
well i got a cummings one ,good little thing but ill recomend any one you get has a 2 foot space at least between the table and the chuck . more and more i end up having to stack blocks off the base to set in bigger stuff .ya use up room fast ,like 3inch part 5 inch bit and 2inch high vice :sad:

get a x/y vice they make setting up parts nice 6" Cross Slide Vise
i dont have one yet but its on the list of stuff to get some day . also make sure the drill has at least a 1/2 inch chuck , then you can use turned shank bits and drill big holes . if you can get one with the crank that raises the table , used one before and miss that .

If you have a Harbor Freight near you go check out their drill presses, especially item 44836. I have one of the small bench top 5 speeds that is 20 years old and still works great. Some would think all HF tools are junk, but with proper care and use any tool can be used and last. Oh and I got it when it only cost me $39.95 with free shiping.

I also notice some have circular table tops with circular slot patterns and then some with square tables and parallel slots. are there advantages/disadvantages to each?
for instance...

I would buy a floor model not a bench top (just me) I once bought a Chineese Chop Saw it was Crap!! so I took it back, could only get store credit so I got a Drill Press another P.O.S.!!! sold it and bought a Craftsman and finally happy oh yea bought a Milwaukee Chop Saw too. I do buy a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight but nothing I expect to last.

That would be a good drill press the 12 speed. If you plan on using a drill press everyday for projects then go for a better make. But if you are like me and uae it in favor of a hand held drill then that will fit the bill. Like I sais earlier my drill press is 20 years old and had the original belt because I do not abuse it or attempt to drill something it can't handle. But the chose is yours.

I also notice some have circular table tops with circular slot patterns and then some with square tables and parallel slots. are there advantages/disadvantages to each?
for instance...

yes there is advantages and disadvantages . the slots are for clamping your work to the table so it dont spin on ya . the more slots the more choices you have in clamping , if ya have the hold downs .
the x/y vice and is pretty much universal you bolt/clamp it to the table and can move the top part around with the cranks . makes getting the bit exactly where you need it so much easier . i would look for as short of one (height wise)as i can find . so it dont take up all the work space between the chuck and table .
side to side front to back is not such a big deal its total tool to work height that will bite ya .

that red one looks just like the one i have but paint it blue . not a bad machine but its no top notch precision thing by no means at least the on i have .

i will see if i can get a pic of the set up i have . its not the best but it works .

Oldsalt

A drill press with a 12" swing will drill a hole in an item 6" from its edge. That machine shown in the link you posted may be a little small. I have a hobby machine shop that fits in a 10 foot X 12 foot insulated room. Also have a another shop with big machine tools but that doesn't count. I use a 13" swing bench drill press which isn't much bigger. Heck, a 17" swing drill press has a 'footprint' about the same size as a 10" machine so there is little to gain, as far as saveing space, by going too small.

Used machine tools are a buyers market. There are a LOT of used drill presses out there at auctions in every locality. Small businesses going out of business. In my humble opinion you should check what is going on at auctions and you will pick up a nicer machine for a lot less than a new one. Take that 300 bucks and a pick-up to an auction!

Last edited:
Used machine tools are a buyers market. There are a LOT of used drill presses out there at auctions in every locality. Take that 300 bucks and a pick-up to an auction!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dad and I where at a sale and he bought a nice 12" drill press for $75- That's actually tall money but it was just about new.
Auctions always have shop tools.

Check out auctionzip.com you can punch in drill press or whatever your looking for.

I have to agree with Oldsalt on this. You can find good used units at a fraction of the cost of new! Sometimes cheaper than a new :chinese: unit. After saying that, if you are looking for a bench top or cheaper press I'll recommend the Craftsman 10" 2/3hp press. Only because I have one and have used it for at least 5 or 6 years! The only problem I've had with it so far is every now and then the battery door (for the laser) will pop open and the batteries will fall out. Other than that it's been a real work horse. I also have a 30 year old Milwaukee 12 speed,1.5hp floor model (that I use when I need a slower speed or working on a bigger project) but most of the time I use my Craftsman. Just do a little homework and looking around and you'll be happy in the end.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more