Drilling out a lock

I74

I always use a drill bit about the width of the key, & just drill in enough to get past the last tumbler key.
You then might have to use a pick to remove the tumbler keys & little springs..
After that you should be able to turn the tumbler itself to open it.
If you have compressed air & an air nozzle, that might also help in getting the keys- springs & debris out.
Ian

I74

Ran out of my 5 minute edit limit.:rolleyes:
Added,,
Drilling into the tumbler & not interfering with the housing, will allow you to install a replacement complete tumbler with key.
You have to have the main key in the tumbler to collapse the little keys, & the whole assy should slide right in
You then turn the key probably 90 deg. to remove the key, & lock the assy. in place.
I would also make sure you have the housing cleaned out really good first, & then lube the new assy. with like 3 &1 oil , Rem oil works fantastic also .

I74

I don't have the key, that is the problem. Lol
I figured that. :)
The new tumbler assy will come with probably 2 new keys.
There is also a possibility that if there is a model / serial no. on what ever contraption you are trying to open, you might be able to contact the place who made it, or a lock smith,, & get a replacement key ect. ''If they are still around''...….

I74

The little tumbler keys inside the tumbler are usually made out of brass, & pretty much match each notch cut on the ''main'' key.
Generally from the tons of ones that I have replaced through out the years in my mechanical career, ''for car door locks & ignition switches ect.''
They usually have at least 6 - 10 individual little brass tumbler keys per lock,, depending on how many cuts in the main key.

I74

I called a lock Smith today and he wanted 147.00. Forget that. Lol. The contraption is a 1970 pinball machine .
He wanted 147.00 probably to make a service call, & fix it for you. ''What a racket'' !!
I would just drill it out like I posted. Once you have the tumbler out, you can easily open & close it.

I74

If I lived 1000 miles or so closer, I would offer to fix it for free, you would just have to let me play the crap out of it for awhile. ''LOL'' !!
''Love pinball machines'' !! :)

1971_MB1A

1/4" die grinder with a good quality tapered carbide bit also usually works well for that. Depending on how hard the material is sometimes even a good carbide drill bit will end up snapping off. If there is a # on it and you are not in a big hurry you could probably just order a replacement key for it from ebay.

I can always replace with a new tumbler when I get the old tumbler "OUT". I actually just replaced one of those in my 1970's tool box that I couldn't find the key, but I could get to that lock under the lid and just unscrewed the nut from the back.

1/4" die grinder with a good quality tapered carbide bit also usually works well for that. Depending on how hard the material is sometimes even a good carbide drill bit will end up snapping off. If there is a # on it and you are not in a big hurry you could probably just order a replacement key for it from ebay.
There is no number and I don't think that it is the original lock.......It looks replaced.

Karen buy a bump key on Ebay or make one and try to get it open. They are cheap enough. Apparently plenty easy too....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bump+key

Or buy a lock pic set and pick it. And yes you can do it yourself. Those little cylinders are pretty easy to pic. I have opened a bunch of locks over the years with a little patients.

You would be surprised how many locks you can open by just wiggling an old worn out key that fits the profile.

I taught myself to pick locks on Youtube.. I made a lock pick out of an old wiper blade. Again on Youtube. I keep a lock pick set with me in my truck just in case

Karen buy a bump key on Ebay or make one and try to get it open. They are cheap enough. Apparently plenty easy too....

Or buy a lock pic set and pick it. And yes you can do it yourself. Those little cylinders are pretty easy to pic. I have opened a bunch of locks over the years with a little patients.

You would be surprised how many locks you can open by just wiggling an old worn out key that fits the profile.
I thought about trying to pick it. lol. Funny thing is I just took like 200 keys I had laying around to the scrap yard. I bet one of those would of worked. lol

I'm with Doug here.. I can usually break into those type locks with a key that I can fit into the lock and just work it back and forth while applying light pressure turning in the direction needed to unlock.. works every time! Those type of locks aren't very complicated..

I called a lock Smith today and he wanted 147.00. Forget that. Lol. The contraption is a 1970 pinball machine .
If a 1970 pinball machine doesn't deserve $147 worth of love, well, then nothing does. :) But most of that bill is probably for the trip charge. Maybe it would be less if you took the machine to the locksmith.