Drilling out a lock

I spent a half of day trying to pick the lock with no luck. All I got was sore fingers. lol. Just drilled it today.......Finally I have broke in. Found $2.15 in the bottom. Looks like originally the game was out of Canada. All Canadian coins except one quarter.

markus

Oh man, there was one of those mini bike ones available down here a few years ago I thought was neat but nowhere to put it. Plus after running an amusement company route for awhile where I was constantly moving those things around all the time and paying all our bills with rolled quarters and dollar bills in 50 stacks I really didnt want to deal with seeing another one :)

Now you need to find a Boonie bike or Gill trail hawk to go with it!

They are heavy and large. lol. After I get it serviced (when it gets warmer) it will be going to my garage. They only made 800+ of this game. There are still a couple around. I found this one on facebook market place in Michigan.
SPECIAL THANKS TO @Sport King Eric for picking it up for me and helping me get it to NJ.

cfh

It's not that big or heavy. heck it's only a 2 player game! the 4 player variants are the heavy ones. cabinet is repainted (unfortunately). but hey you bought it because of the theme, i get that.

It's a single bit lock. just drill it. take a 1/4" drill bit, and go right down the center. It will break off the bolt/tab (if you go straight.) even if you're off just a bit, a small pry will knock the lock tab right off.

Personally i just do the pry and for-go the drill method. The drill method leaves lots of metal bits on your floor. so best to put down some newspaper or a trash can to catch it.

On Gottlieb's in this era there's a metal plate that protects the wood frame just behind the coin door. that's why i usually just use the pry method. But if you've never done that before, drilling is certainly safer and easier on your constitution.

If you do the pry method though, the advantage is you can remove the lock tumblers, and re-use the lock. After the tumblers are removed, and some adjustment to the lock tab, any flat head screwdriver or spare key will work in the lock. Saves having to buy a new lock and also saves future frustration when you can't find a key!

If you need help on the pinball feel free to email me directly. cfh@provide.net
or you can read up on my repair website at http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm

cfh

If the machine hasn't left michigan yet, get eric to drop it off any my shop (brighton mi). i can deal with your lock issue and fix the game, and get it shipped to you. all you'll own me is a seat! here's the web page on the shop... http://www.vfwpinball.com

@cfh Thanks for all of that but its too late. lol. Cost me a fortune to get that game here. I drilled the lock out today and installed a new lock. At least now I can get into the machine to clean it up. Its great to know that you may be able to help me if I have any problems. My regular pinball guy won't touch a EM machine. I just bought the rubber kit but need a little warmer weather to do that as the game is in the garage right now. Thank you

cfh

yea you screwed up, you should have contacted me. could have handled the whole thing for you. have a service that moves games too for about $200. could have dealt with the entire thing including the repair. Repair guys that don't touch EMs aren't really "pinball repair guys"....

yea you screwed up, you should have contacted me. could have handled the whole thing for you. have a service that moves games too for about $200. could have dealt with the entire thing including the repair. Repair guys that don't touch EMs aren't really "pinball repair guys"....
I wish I knew you did all that. The couple EM guys around here are pretty grouchy. They won't even touch them unless you get a complete restore for 2K. I have actually been on your web site in the last week. lol.
When I get this machine all cleaned up I will try to restore the cabinet. That paint might come right off. I do have somebody that could make me those yellow squiggly decals.

cfh

If you on my web site, why didn't you just ask????
i post my direct email here all the time too....
East coast pinball repair guys are a mess. they charge WAY too much for everything.

If you on my web site, why didn't you just ask????
i post my direct email here all the time too....
East coast pinball repair guys are a mess. they charge WAY too much for everything.
I never put 2 and 2 together and realized it was you. lol. I'm slow sometimes. lol. I bought a few things for the machine in the last week and I'm wondering if anything was from you. lol. Only part I can see for now that is missiing is a leg bolt got lost in the move.

cfh

I sell service (pinball repair), so you didn't get any parts from me. I only sell parts for repairs, i'm not a mail order shop. you should be buying everything from www.PBresource.com as they are the only Gottlieb dealer left in the world. They are also very familiar with your game and have more parts for it than anyone (and at the best prices.)

If you need one leg bolt you can just use a 3/8-16 hardware store bolt. The originals have an acorn head, but in the short run a standard hardware store bolt will get you set up.