Dropped an E clip behind flywheel

I dropped and e clip where it seems to have gone behind the flywheel. I removed the recoil and blower housing but didn't find it. What do I do? I need it for the throttle and am worried it could damage the engine?

Thanks

MikeBear

I dropped and e clip where it seems to have gone behind the flywheel. I removed the recoil and blower housing but didn't find it. What do I do? I need it for the throttle and am worried it could damage the engine?

Thanks
Look on the magnet inside the flywheel. It'll probably be stuck on that.

there's always a spot where you can at least get a finger underneath the flywheel around the back of it somewhere. just keep spinning the flywheel over (cranking the engine) either by hand or very slowly with the pull cord until you see the magnets on the flywheel. they look like....well....magnets:laugh: then, behind where you see the magnet, run your finger back there on the flywheel and see if you feel it stuck to that part of the fw. are you aware what a flywheel looks like underneath? if not, maybe we can show you a picture and it will help you understand more about what the heck I tried to just explain:scared:

Last edited:

MikeBear

Is there a way to get behind there without removing it? I don't have a torque wrench.
There is not usually a real good way to get behind there without pulling the flywheel. It depends on the type of flywheel. It's in your best interest to pull it, and get the e-clip off of it. I can almost guarantee you it's stuck on the magnet inside. If you don't remove it, you could cause damage to your magneto.

Depending on what engine you have (you haven't said) you can loosen the flywheel nut to the end of the threads. Then, place a piece of wood on the nut, and whack it hard with a hammer. Just hard enough to pop the flywheel, but not too hard. That's the old-fashioned way of popping the flywheel off the crank, and usually works pretty well. When I was a kid, that's the ONLY way we ever removed a flywheel, and we never damaged a single one.

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE SPARKPLUG WIRE FIRST!

just take off the shroud (4 bolts 10mm socket) and then you'll get down to this....

you should be able to see a way to get your fingers behind the flywheel without pulling it completely off i would think :shrug:

the magnet is just on the outside of the fw, but maybe it's strong enough to magnetize a little eclip to the opposite side is what i'm thinking

or you know what? that little bast%#d might be wedged somewhere else, just look real good if you do'nt find it there.

the magnet on the side of the flywheel or is there another magnet behind the flywheel?
Please don't beat the magnet off!I was joking. No there is not,the magnet on the edge will slightly magnetize the back of the flywheel and hold your e-clip hostage. Every one is right though,It's easiest just to pull the flywheel off. if you can afford to,a torque wrench is something you will need a lot on a mini bike.

Well, I dropped a bunch of other things too. Don't know what I was thinking. I was getting so annoyed by the throttle I was just being careless I guess. Do I have to worry about larger thing like nuts getting nywhere they shouldn't? While I was working ?I thought they would just get caught in the fins.

when i was just starting building up clone engines, i would always drop the lock washers and nuts from the exhaust back behind the shroud or they'd slip under the silver tin that wraps underneath where the head meets the block.

usually you cna just pick up the engine and give it a slight shake whilst holding it angled down and whatever it is will make its way out. but i can see how an e-clip would be easily swallowed up since it's so light.

nuts will also magnetize to a magnet:shrug: You don't every want to accidentally start up an engine with something that's not supposed to be there attached to your flywheel or wedged in your fins, etc.....
Sure they might dislodge themselves and shoot out, but i know I woudln't want any of that business shooting out anywhere near my legs :shrug:

I thought you meant nuts would be too heavy to stick to the back of the magnet. Obviously they'll stick to the front, but they didn't. EDIT: that was texasfabguy's post saying "slightly"