Dune Cycle shed find

JDW

This is my first post here but I am long time reader. site has so much hard to find info!
I picked up this Dune Cycle from and old shed (barn find?). It is a basket case, however other then some trashed bearings I have been able to verify all parts are here! I even grabbed the original briggs with a date code of 1973.
I know there is much work to be done. I am going to be doing a full "restoration" or as close to new as I can get. Any info y'all can share in this very cool trike would be of great service. I was able to find a Vin number stamped into frame but I'm not 100% on model number
This will get used and played with once restored, y'all think I should rebuild original motor or go with another?

Thank y'all so much for any and all help.
JDW

Attachments

JDW

That's pretty close to mine. I have photos in the photo gallery (media). Looks to be in great shape. I would fix the original motor. Nice score.
I have checked yours out many times since I picked up the trike; I do hope mine comes like yours. I do see the rear is set up yours has more bounce built in, mines rigid.
You are right other then trashed bearings and surface rust the Dunecycle is in very good condition.
Thanks

DonK

Very nice; great find! I'd go with the original engine as well, but it's always up to the owner! Lots of savvy members on this site to help out if you have questions.

JDW

Very nice; great find! I'd go with the original engine as well, but it's always up to the owner! Lots of savvy members on this site to help out if you have questions.
rebuilding original wouldn't be to hard, as it sit it has no spark and clean points so I have added a coil to the growing list of parts needed. If I go with a different motor like a newer 5/6hp briggs, predator or Honda with a slant piston bore, most come with top mounted gas tank and when mounted on frame their gas tank is in the way of the seat. I spent some time looking at a remote tank or making risers to lift it above seat back. Its not impossible but rebuilding the original and using it looks to be the simple answer.
always planned to rebuild it at some point anyway.

JDW

I have disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. I can see that the roll cage and foot pegs are bent, the jack shaft bearings are trashed and the shaft its self has a ware ring, one brake hub is deformed, main sprocket is all shark fins and seat cover is a bit crunchy in spots.
I can tell this was a well loved trike and used hard and maybe tipped over one or twelve times. Theres nothing here that can't be fixed. Plan is to bend back what I can and then some time in Jan I will have frame powder coated.

JDW

Dune cycle nears completion. frame is powder coated, motor rebuilt.
I decided to go with a 30 series torque converter, however the belt it came with is too short for this application.
does anyone else run a 30 series on their dune cycle? Can y'all help me with correct belt size?
Thanks

Attachments

JDW

More pics of the Dune Cycle project. Thanks to Gumpit I got the correct belt, chain comes tomorrow and I hope to cut and fit that asap.
1 thing I feel I must address is the head lamp, like to get it working again. Ive tested the socket, figured out which black wire is + - and ground. But I've never wired a flathead briggs before. Motor has stator behind flywheel and wire running to a post on side of motor. Going to have to become an electrician.
Again thanks to Gumpit for the help.

Attachments