Dune cycle with foot pedals?

Steve73

Yeah I've got the old sledge hammer ready for a couple of blows with a block of wood for slight straightening fun. Lol..

In the mean time. I've ordered a reprinted copy of the owners manual for these dune cycles. I'm a sucker for parts list and exploded views for my projects.
APE Dunecycle trike Owners Manual w/ parts list

This has been my goto place for hard to find vintage parts and sure enough they got what I needed.

Steve73

20151220_103045.jpg Is there anything special about those little Allen key bolts that are connected to the front forks that pivot the front wheel with the shocks? I can't get them off?

Did you try unscrewing them? Maybe they are just threaded into the shock rubber. WD40 and unscrew. If that doesn't work use a bigger hammer.

Steve73

Did you try unscrewing them? Maybe they are just threaded into the shock rubber. WD40 and unscrew. If that doesn't work use a bigger hammer.
I tried everything they won't turn or pound out? It's a mystery. I will move up to the next size hammer. Stay tuned for all this excitement. Lol.. but seriously I wasn't sure if they were threaded or something weird like that. Thanks..

Steve73

Support the other side, make sure it doesn't flex when you hit.

I had a huge block of wood between the forks. It's been wrecked because where the front wheel bolts to the forks one side is like 1 inch further forward than it should. Pounding out the bolts ain't working. I got em soaking in evaporust. Suck all the rust out hopefully. Heating and beating didn't work either.. hopefully I won't have to cut and drill out anything. Ugh.... we will see.

Steve73

Well a quick trip to the bench vise fixed the tweaked forks one side was back about an inch. And has anyone here taken apart the driven unit and Jackshaft apart? There was some rusty broken c clips on each side, removed those. Then what? Just pound away? Lol.. thanks agin, greatly helpful.

Steve73

20160107_173458.jpg You would cut this out? Doesn't look bad just needs cleaning and rebuilding. Went to the store and got more pb blaster. Wonder product for sure... things came apart after that. Thanks..

Yup. Since I replace all bearings and put on new drivers,drivens and sprockets. I don't waste the time soaking and waiting. I'm glad you got it out in one piece. I just replace everything and do it once so it lasts another 45 years.

Steve73

Upon further inspection I would take your words of wisdom and run with it. This thing needs total replacement. Rivets torn out, rust everywhere. More parts to order. Oh yah.. lol..

While you are waiting for those parts. Take apart the rear differential and inspect it and grease it. Make sure there is no play where the axles go into the housing in the bushings. You can replace the bushings if they are worn. Press them out and press the new ones in. But if they are good. Put some Bentonite grease in there.

Steve73

Well finally got enough time to finish fixing the front end.
Thanks to all the help peeps!

Now does anyone have a preferred method to getting the axle pieces apart? I got all 4 bolts and nuts off going thru the axle and that's as far as I got.

Gumpit when I hold onto the sprocket, it does have some play when I move the diff. Left and right towards the tires and also it does have some play when I try to turn the diff. Front to back and vise versa.
Stripped off some orange paint a little and that's where I'm at.

I would be most worried about the play where the axles go in. There are brass or steel bushings in the housing that can wear. After you get it apart you can see if there is play or not or if it is worse on one side or the other. Because the differentials are the biggest pain on the trikes. I always put in a new differential. And bearings. You might be able to just buy the bushings and press the old ones out and the new ones in. Or replace the differential if its worn. The axle should be ok but measure it to be sure. There shouldn't be too much play in or out towards the hubs. When its installed the bearings should hold it pretty much in place.