DuneCycle - Newest Member of the Pack

The Alsport RTS series worked for me the best. I never got to ride a Dune Cycle . And I was never approached by them to be a dealer.
The small frame RTS worked good but had it's limits when people put in too big engines and did too much jumping I have seen frame breakage.
I have had all the small frame units and I did miss the hydraulic brakes that the big frame Street Legal units had but the calipers were Borg Warner and two lightweight for me. So I did replace them on my street machine. All history for me now but the dreams keep rolling along

Steve73

The Alsport RTS series worked for me the best. I never got to ride a Dune Cycle . And I was never approached by them to be a dealer.
The small frame RTS worked good but had it's limits when people put in too big engines and did too much jumping I have seen frame breakage.
I have had all the small frame units and I did miss the hydraulic brakes that the big frame Street Legal units had but the calipers were Borg Warner and two lightweight for me. So I did replace them on my street machine. All history for me now but the dreams keep rolling along
Never rode a dune cycle? I would let you ride my dune cycle anytime. I just have to put it back together. Lol..

I can’t imagine what it’d do with the factory engine (2 stroke if I’m not mistaken) rather than the 4hp on it now but I’d sure like to find out hahaha

The first trike event I went to out in the Mohave dessert we had a small trike that the former owner of our store made it and it had a 5 HP Briggs & Stratton with a comet torque converter. And I saw the little Honda's with the balloon tires. I was impressed with the Bonham 8 HP three wheeler That was back in 1972 I don't it Bonham was still in business.

DonK

RTS had a model with a 400cc 2 stroke twin and Dunecycle had some big 2 strokes as well. They were a blast to ride but if you weren't careful you could get really bruised up (or worse).

Biggest difference between Dunecycle and Tri Sport to me was the overall stance longer wider and built a lot heaver in the axels. But we were very hard on our machines riding in the open desert rocks could take out a differential. I went to a live axle with precision built drive hub and I used 2 aluminum sprockets and two row number 40 chain and a chain guard made out of 2 inch by 2 inch 1/4 inch angle iron. My engine was a Kohler 440 cc and my wheels were Ford Falcon 13 inch with Jeep sand commander tires. The jack shaft brake worked good. and if the machine failed it was usually my fault. Of course I have never ridden a Dunecycle

DonK

N_A_T_V_A_1973_.jpg NATVA_pics__2web.jpg N_A_T_V_A_1973_2.jpg Here's a couple old snapshots of some of the racers in the early 70s. I can't find my originals so I borrowed these from a site I loaded onto long ago. I wish I could find a picture of the "Californian"; a Dunecycle that won a lot of races and had all-wheel suspension, similar in footprint to an RTS. Not sure whether it was a production model or modified by the race team, but it was very quick! The shot of the pits with the Tricarts, Tricub and El Burro was our camp. NATVA_pics_1_web.jpg

I went to two of the Barstow to Vegas races 1973 & 1974 and with so many people there it was just a mad house and not enough outhouses for thousands of people. with lines that were very long ( what a mess it was ) The jangled nerves and the time for starting when the bomb went off and wanting to wait till the carnage of people charging out ahead and so many didn't go very far. That included me but it was fun while it lasted.