Duromax 7hp with Electric start

KMR

I have future plans for an engine swap on the Thunderbird. I saw this and am curious how it stacks up to the Predator. I know it is a bit more money, but I like the electric start for my son. Does anyone have experience with this?

1B8F7203-9F95-47CE-9860-2394DD480C0E.png

A Thunderbird is a wheelie machine even with the stock 3.5 motor.

I'd be careful with 7 hp, unless you plan to change the rear sprocket to a much smaller one.

Keep it safe and fun...:thumbsup:

My two cents worth anyway...:laugh:

Looks like it gets pretty good reviews on Amazon, at least you could send it back if it was a no go.

I have a T-bird, and like Robert said you won't keep the front wheel down with the stock rear sprocket. I have a built hemi on mine, and even stock I had to switch to a much smaller sprocket to make it driveable.

My only concern on the D/M engine would be clearance on the front tube with the electric start. Plus you'll need a battery and some place to stick it.

Last edited:
I've heard the Duromax engines are "okay" in reliability, but then again, the price is right. It is still nice to have the cushion of Amazon if it is a crib death. I've also heard their HP numbers are a bit inflated. Take that as you will...

And if you want to do some upgrades to it, they're not the same as a Pred, but it would make for a good build thread. popcorn.gif

KMR

Robert C. I have a stock 3.5 Tecumseh. It is far from a wheelie machine! Lol. Slow take off more like it, but its ok for for 11 year old. He is already asking for mote speed.

I anticipated putting a predator in and most likely a 54 tooth sprocket. I saw the electric start and it peaked my interest. Just curious if its a decent engine? I do realize the in depth information and options for the predator.

If money was out of the question (and it never is...), there is an electric start GX200. But hell, I say go for the Duramax. We could use some information on them!

Robert C. I have a stock 3.5 Tecumseh. It is far from a wheelie machine! Lol. Slow take off more like it, but its ok for for 11 year old. He is already asking for mote speed.

I anticipated putting a predator in and most likely a 54 tooth sprocket. I saw the electric start and it peaked my interest. Just curious if its a decent engine? I do realize the in depth information and options for the predator.
Hey again KMR.

I hear 'ya...the one I had must have been peppier (sp?)...my nephew got on that one...he cracked the throttle...up went the front wheel...off came my nephew...and I don't think he's been on one since...(bless his heart)...:laugh:

So if he's looking for more speed, that duramax, or a predator ought to do it. Hey...also, my predator usually starts in one or two easy pulls...I feel sure your son would not have an issue with starting one.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:

KMR

My 11 year kld has been riding quads since he was 6. Currently ridding a Kodaik 450. Not concerned with his ability to ride as much as him getting on a going. He currently can’t start the Tecumseh. The electric start peaked my interest. Was hoping the Duromax was close to the Predator in reliability. Also the availablity to build it later on.

My 11 year kld has been riding quads since he was 6. Currently ridding a Kodaik 450. Not concerned with his ability to ride as much as him getting on a going. He currently can’t start the Tecumseh. The electric start peaked my interest. Was hoping the Duromax was close to the Predator in reliability. Also the availablity to build it later on.
push ups.....lol gotta make him start his own ride!! its part of the fun, get him stronger lol

Also the availablity to build it later on.
Yeah, it's NOT the same as a Predator. I wouldn't count on it being easily build-able. But if you're willing to take on the challenge, we would love to follow along. We could use an in on these motors.

In the end, this site knows Preds inside and out. That is the safe bet, except that it would cost you more to get electric start if it is even possible. The Duromax is untouched territory for us but we can guess at it's reliability.

KMR

That is what I figured. I searched and didn’t see much info on the Duramax. I am notooking for a dive into uncharted waters. That can be left for the experts to take on. Predator is the safe bet. Have a feeling the Predator will be easier to pull???

Have a feeling the Predator will be easier to pull???
The Preds are pretty easy to pull:shrug:. A lot better than a tired Tecumseh. I can't compare it to a Duramax.

Would something like this interest you? https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Tuff-Electric-Gasoline-Easy-Starting/dp/B078JJJF66/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1514507182&sr=8-7&keywords=electric+start+6.5hp+engine

This engine would be considered a CLONE if you want to build it. It is made by Lifan who is also the manufacturer of the Preds anyway. The difference is this one is not a HEMI and it is 196cc, but...you can do this to it: Rod, Connecting, Billet, GX160 & GX200, UT2 (Extra Long Rod)

I have a new Duromax xp18, took off the stock muffler due to clearance, going inside a 1948 step-thru Cushman. will sell the muffler if anyone wants something really solid. one question is about the little aluminum box on the side of the exhaust manifold. Looks like some kind of a breather!

Attachments

I have a new Duromax xp18, took off the stock muffler due to clearance, going inside a 1948 step-thru Cushman. will sell the muffler if anyone wants something really solid. one question is about the little aluminum box on the side of the exhaust manifold. Looks like some kind of a breather!
The aluminum box is the PAIR system. It's just emission BS.

id go with the predator, theyre cheap and there are lots of available parts and upgrades. I have a tbird with a pred but the stock 72 tooth still on and its got crazy torque but i like it

cfh

Someone asked how I hooked up the throttle on my Duramax. Below is a picture. Not real good but it should give you an idea

6C2AECF6-174A-4499-80C5-3B7720389BAC.jpeg