Early Caper cycle brake stay?

markus

working on a 1961 short frame Caper roadrunner/falcon, Tyring to figure out what prevents the brake plate from rotating. Looks like in the brochure that the brake arm almost rests against the top of the axle mount? In various pictures of actual bikes online though the arm is in different locations. Trying to get this figured out so I can get the frame finished an some color laid down.

If anyone has any insight the help would be appreciated, I just got the worn out sprocket cut off the original brake hub and have to find someone to cut the 4.25" hole out of the center of a new sprocket as well, but at least I can now get the wheel/hub back together (less the sprocket) and try and get it mocked up on the frame to setup the brake stay (if one is even supposed to be there)

thank you

On this model, it looks like the anti-rotation arm is left out of the hole, (like on Flexo) and a simple stud/hardware is used against a frame tab. I saw another photo where only the top of the brake has that. No idea what the lower (bottom) stud is doing.

caper_012.jpg

e088c0ae3490f30fc997cc319d095b8d.jpg

I seen that one to Dave....but how would you adjust the chain tension with the rear wheel adjustment. looks like it needs to be a slotted bracket.

Looks like most of the Caper cycles I've seen shows the stud resting on top of the axle bracket.

I seen that one to Dave....but how would you adjust the chain tension with the rear wheel adjustment. looks like it needs to be a slotted bracket. Looks like most of the Caper cycles I've seen shows the stud resting on top of the axle bracket.
Might be lack of photo detail. Definitely the bike in the brochure is adjusted at the slots, and the anti-rotation bolt and nut just slides on the frame.

The Flexo used the same brake, but used a bent bolt that slotted into a perpendicular frame tab, where it was adjusted and locked down. It also used jam nuts on the inside of the axle to retain it. Easier on the paint, however obviously not "original" in design for that Caper.

Flexo:

19 Flexo Brake.JPG

markus

thanks, Jacks seems to have to correct wheels on it, and does look like arm is in fact just resting up against the axle mount plate. You can see in that photo that james ackerman posted, they had it kinda cluster f**ked so I have been scratching my head with it :laugh:

That really clean bike up against the fence has a set of 6" wheels on it like the later kingfisher style bikes with the humped frame have, that brake is bigger and has stop tabs in different places, I kinda think they made a sandwich plate that if you had to make adjustments if you loosened the bolts it would slide on the axle mount. Nice setup :thumbsup: If I have any more problems with the 5" hub and sprocket I probably will use a 6" wheel assembly on the rear (I have a spare on the shelf) I'll just cut the axle mounts right off and raise them up to keep the bike level

thank you