Early swing arm Bonanza find

I scored this early swing arm Bonanza frame today. It has the early badge with #5423 on it. It does not have the early front end with the springs on the outside of the fork legs but it has the early swing arm with the chain adjuster nuts behind the axle.

I kinda posted this because I thought it might be one of the first front ends that had the internal springs. Probably make this bike around 1965 or 1966 ?

Last edited:
HEy Ed...that's cool. I've never seen one before. It's interesting to me to see the evolution of things on these bikes !!
I know an old Kart guy that has an early swing arm Bonanza. He's in the process of restoring it right now. I haven't had the chance to see it yet...but I will take some pics when the day comes.

Yeah George, the original paint was blue. To bad the badge isn't in better shape. Hey Scooterboy,I always wondered if the early badge bikes had internal spring front ends. I can make out San jose on the badge but no evidence of Cailifornia kart on it.

It always seems difficult to say exactly what they did. We know about alot of the changes....but exactly when they took place and how did they blend together always seems to be the mystery.

Early badges said Kart Mfg. on them
Early front suspension had springs on the outside.
Early swingarms looked like yours.

Did all the changes happen at once??? Probably not. Changes were most likely implemented as old style inventory ran out. And then if they ran across some old inventory later....I'd be willing to bet they used the parts on a few bikes.

Another example....Why do some of the CR410/500 frames have badges and some don't ?? I have my own theory on that one......but who knows.