early throttle cable collet source (Tecumseh engine style)

markus

Anyone know of a source for the early style cable collets that were pressed or clipped on to the bellcranks, They used these up into 1968 so popularly you would see them on Bonanza and Rupps, they rotated freely and the cable was clamped like a briggs engine or the later style throttle assemblies have. seen here on this H50 bellcrank:

IMG_1106.JPG

Anyone know of a source for the early style cable collets that were pressed or clipped on to the bellcranks, They used these up into 1968 so popularly you would see them on Bonanza and Rupps, they rotated freely and the cable was clamped like a briggs engine or the later style throttle assemblies have. seen here on this H50 bellcrank:

View attachment 245925
Is there a ring clip on the back side to allow swivel motion? It looks like it could be made on a lathe. A fixture would be needed to hold it for drilling the cable hole. A slitting saw set-up can cut the groove for the ring clip. If you need some made, let me know.

@SAT I've been using throttle swivels on some applications, mostly two stroke karts, where they fit in the throttle and are held captive by a snap ring. GEM 1358 comes to mind. Requires nimble fingers, but there are several versions out there.

I'm thinking Markus is probably aware of this, and looking for the original ones that were swagged in? Otherwise, the snap ring type would be a good substitute.

That is the Tilly swivel. They also sell a slightly larger one for Walbro that is probably more suitable? https://out2win.com/catalog/images/LSWTSS.jpg And I forget how any of them stack up to the GEM 1358 (made for the KT 100) that I used on a Walbro on a Clinton two stroke!

markus

Thanks everyone! I can never find those dam things!!!!!! I just bought a medium frame throttle assembly off a tractor thats setup like the early ones with the swivel (they didnt use the swivels though on the equipment) and was thinking of converting to this over making it a later model version so the pressed on like AJF covers that. Those tilly and Walbro's will be great for late model engine conversions.....as they are bit more affordable and come with all the parts :D

I c
@SAT I've been using throttle swivels on some applications, mostly two stroke karts, where they fit in the throttle and are held captive by a snap ring. GEM 1358 comes to mind. Requires nimble fingers, but there are several versions out there.

I'm thinking Markus is probably aware of this, and looking for the original ones that were swagged in? Otherwise, the snap ring type would be a good substitute.

That is the Tilly swivel. They also sell a slightly larger one for Walbro that is probably more suitable? https://out2win.com/catalog/images/LSWTSS.jpg And I forget how any of them stack up to the GEM 1358 (made for the KT 100) that I used on a Walbro on a Clinton two stroke!
I can swage em if need be with a suitable sized roll pin punch. They look kinda like a transfer punch.

markus

@Ajf or anyone else, do you happen to have the Rupp instruction sheet on file showing the mount points for the Rupp supplied return spring or know where it goes offhand? I only have instruction sheets showing the connection point for the Small frame H25/35 powered bikes. Trying to find something online in photos right now, but not seeing anything as of yet.

markus

DOAH!!!!! Should have looked more before I asked BWM has this pic listed......Is that correct setup on the spring????

From BWM tech page:

@Ajf or anyone else, do you happen to have the Rupp instruction sheet on file showing the mount points for the Rupp supplied return spring or know where it goes offhand? I only have instruction sheets showing the connection point for the Small frame H25/35 powered bikes. Trying to find something online in photos right now, but not seeing anything as of yet.
I believe I have the rupp big block diagram at home and I think the one on Bwm is correct. Also you can’t see because of fuel line but on a regular mini bike big block setup where the cable and adjuster would go, the rupp will have a stop screw and spring like a tiller would have from that period.

markus

Thanks AJF, you are correct on the adjuster screw instead of the cable adjuster. Looking better at the spring I have attached to the one that came off the TT thats here, it does have a big end on it that would go around the spacer for the bellcrank like shown on the BWM pic.....I'm so used to the one on the smaller engines that goes across the back to the other side I was not sure.

The extra throttle assembly I just picked up off ebay from a mower engine still has it, I gotta dig through the parts to find the one for the H50 I am putting back together though.....of I will be stealing the one off the spare from ebay :)

thanks again!

Does this help at all? Not exactly sure if everything is 100% correct, but this is a pic I think I saved that Capgun posted a couple years ago from a survivor bike.

2016-06-05 18.05.47.jpg