ec 263r... worth it for big power?

vegetable

been looking into the 263r rotating assembly on their website. I want to build a 3" block at some point and found these kits for sale on EC's website. Is it all drop in or do i need to machine the piston to compensate for the 58mm stroke? I dont want that high of a compression ratio (10:1 is my target) and just want some general advice on this, if its a good idea, etc..

delray

I'm sure there will be some clearance issues. anytime you stick a 58 mm crank in a clone block, things are going to touch. i doubt that EC will do that for you and there will be more than likely have cam lobe clearance issues when getting into the 300 and higher lift cams. just make sure you buy the billet side cover. that will be your gusset plate that keeps block from moving around. 3inch bore in a tilly block is at its max and now the casting material is at its minimum for strength. i got a 263 coming for a friend that wants me to assy, we will see.

vegetable

I'm sure there will be some clearance issues. anytime you stick a 58 mm crank in a clone block, things are going to touch. i doubt that EC will do that for you and there will be more than likely have cam lobe clearance issues when getting into the 300 and higher lift cams. just make sure you buy the billet side cover. that will be your gusset plate that keeps block from moving around. 3inch bore in a tilly block is at its max and now the casting material is at its minimum for strength. i got a 263 coming for a friend that wants me to assy, we will see.
let me know. I was planning on doing clearancing because I know that you have to do that with these kinds of builds. i havent had to do it yeah because the most ive ever built out was with a mild cam (hot 265) and stock displacement

but yeah update me on how the build goes with what im looking to do, planning on putting a .310 cam and using gopowersports' stage 5 head with big valves

vegetable

For 3" motor i was going to suggest a flathead
But could never build a 3" flathead that cheap.
yeah, cant go wrong with a flathead sometimes. i do wanna go a lot on this build but not that much compression. i want to mess around with fuel injection in the future and do some experimentation. for now i need to get a welder at home so i can finish a rear swingarm for my motovox

How do you plan to seal it up? Best bet is a O-ring due to very little material around the head studs. I does come with a head gasket be curious what it is like.

SAS289

ec sells a copper gasket im pretty sure, ill have to get the head grooved for oring i assume

(edit) yep, found the gasket
https://www.eccarburetors.com/3-inch-copper-head-gasket-tillotson-block
Have you looked into what CR you would be getting with all of that? Some of us make decisions on how to raise compression. With those parts you may need to make decisions on how to lower compression if you are looking for 10:1.

I hear EC Carbs has pretty good phone support. Ask those guys what CR you can expect with a big valve 22-cc head milled .065" and a .032" head gasket with the piston at zero deck.

vegetable

Have you looked into what CR you would be getting with all of that? Some of us make decisions on how to raise compression. With those parts you may need to make decisions on how to lower compression if you are looking for 10:1.

I hear EC Carbs has pretty good phone support. Ask those guys what CR you can expect with a big valve 22-cc head milled .065" and a .032" head gasket with the piston at zero deck.
I will call them and ask, thank you for the tip

delray

think you would be way better off with the EVO head from EC CARBS . head is on sale right now for $299 and you need to buy the springs,retainers,keepers separate and that will be another $50. this head will out flow that go power head all day and might be one of best casted heads on the market before you get into the billet heads..
head.PNG
with a .045 fiber style/steel fire ring you would be at 11.42 and a .032 copper 12.08
what every you do, don't try milling you head with a block of sandpaper...etc only the correct way with milling machine...etc. head needs to be flat or your done...lol make sure you buy a stud kit. stock heads bolts can sometimes stretch after time and after reusing them. if you decide to o-ring the head with the steel wire? then use the .032 copper head gasket with it annealed and with a very..very light coat of toyota sealer (103)
I'm going to just go with the .045 fiber/steel ring gasket. the engine will get torn down after 6 full racings. mainly to check the head/springs valves..etc and then get a new head gasket. only running gas and we only can get 110 octane so my friend will need to mix a small amount of ethanol free 91 to bring the octane down so it burns more efficient with only 11.42 compression. my engine i run 13.1 + with 110 and runs like a dream...lol
HERE IS MORE INFO ON THE EVO HEAD look at the bottom page for compression.
spec's.PNG
here is what a .045 fiber steel gasket looks like. when using this type of gasket i spray a light coat on both sides with a copper spray.
head gasket.PNG
back to springs and the EVO head. the head is setup for .850 spring height. so be careful what springs you buy and install. just so much that goes into this motor to make real power and it can be real easy F-things up very quick. .310 dyno cam you were talking about with a 28mm mikuni carb. i would start with a 21 pilot and a 330 main and go up from there on main jet sizes. really don't like this tilly block with a 3inch bore with the kind of racing we do. block is at its max and is ready come unglued. i use a different block 10x times stronger top secret ...lol none of the top performance engine companys won't touch it because nothing will bolt up to it without mod's done to it (machine work) easy for me.
BIG BORE small block 290cc maybe i will get it done someday... lol top head bolts are way out.
copper gasket.jpg

Last edited:

vegetable

think you would be way better off with the EVO head from EC CARBS . head is on sale right now for $299 and you need to buy the springs,retainers,keepers separate and that will be another $50. this head will out flow that go power head all day and might be one of best casted heads on the market before you get into the billet heads..
View attachment 298644
with a .045 fiber style/steel fire ring you would be at 11.42 and a .032 copper 12.08
what every you do, don't try milling you head with a block of sandpaper...etc only the correct way with milling machine...etc. head needs to be flat or your done...lol make sure you buy a stud kit. stock heads bolts can sometimes stretch after time and after reusing them. if you decide to o-ring the head with the steel wire? then use the .032 copper head gasket with it annealed and with a very..very light coat of toyota sealer (103)
I'm going to just go with the .045 fiber/steel ring gasket. the engine will get torn down after 6 full racings. mainly to check the head/springs valves..etc and then get a new head gasket. only running gas and we only can get 110 octane so my friend will need to mix a small amount of ethanol free 91 to being the octane down so it burns more efficient with only 11.42 compression. my engine i run 13.1 + with 110 and runs like a dream...lol
HERE IS MORE INFO ON THE EVO HEAD look at the bottom page for compression.
View attachment 298646
here is what a .045 fiber steel gasket looks like. when using this type of gasket i spray a light coat on both sides with a copper spray.
View attachment 298645
back to springs and the EVO head. the head is setup for .850 spring height. so be careful what springs you buy and install. just so much that goes into this motor to make real power and it can be real easy F-things up very quick. .310 dyno cam you were talking about with a 28mm mikuni carb. i would start with a 21 pilot and a 330 main and go up from there on main jet sizes. really don't like this tilly block with a 3inch bore with the kind of racing we do. block is at its max and is ready come unglued. i use a different block 10x times stronger top secret ...lol none of the top performance engine companys won't touch it because nothing will bolt up to it without mod's done to it (machine work) easy for me.
BIG BORE small block 290cc maybe i will get it done someday... lol top head bolts are way out.
View attachment 298647
this is some damn good info delray... i really do appreciate the assistance. it does say on ec's website that they now come with dual springs and retainers. im trying to go for lower compression so definately the fiber head gasket with permatex copper gasket should work right?

LIVIT

I've had some really good conversations with a tech at EC named Mark. I trust what he suggests and like EC products. My favorite stock engine (if you want to call it stock) off the shelf is the Wildcat 223 hemi stroker, it's a beast, even in stock form ! Some great info Delray !!