Electric mini bikes, you've got to be kidding

Greetings,

I came across this group and it sure looked like fun so I decided to join. I worked with elementary, middle school, high school and college over my 35+ years in education. I'm retired now and miss the kids, not most of the administrators. I retired in 2010 after my construction trades program was shut down. A few years ago, I met with a former woodshop teacher friend, now administrator, and we talked about starting a Saturday morning program for middle school kids who like to work with their hands. He wanted the program to dovetail with the school STEM curriculum. I immediately thought of scooters and mini bikes. "Can you help kids build electric mini bikes?" he asked. "Sure", I said....not knowing anything about building one. I asked a friend who is a genius with batteries to help out and off we went. After a few spring and fall, four session Saturday classes under our belts, we sorta have it down enough to the point where kids are asking for more of everything.:thumbsup:

So here's my question....as an old motorhead myself (53 Chevy pick up), is there room in this group for electric vehicle conversions on mini bikes or are you folks purists who only associate with those who smell of gasoline and carbon monoxide?:bowdown:

Be kind to an old man,

Dave from Colorado (arhsdave)

Dave we like everything mini bikes!! And there is a slew of new electric minis out there maybe mostly mountain bike type/hybrids but have seen some new mini inspired ones as well!! Pretty cool with the way things are going here in Cali with emissions!! Stuff where you are getting the younger generation involved is a big hit here so post up some threads of builds please!!
Jason

You could make it wind powered and I'd still think it was cool and look at it. I might not want it for myself but if you are happy with it then thats all that matters.

Heck yeah, electric took over in the R/C airplanes, and you have electric golf carts, so why not another branch of minibikes.
You already have the Predator/B&S/Clinton/Tech/China branches.
This coming from someone who hot rodded his buddie's scooter from SLA to Lipo power.

Last edited:
Your "mission" is cool as hell...the one thing I always thought of when thinking about an electric mini bike is...stealth mode....Keep up the good work!!

markus

There were a few bikes that were electric back in the 60's-70's With technology today and if your good with that sort of thing I think it would be a neat way to go! Randy posted the auranthetic above which is about the most well known, Cal jet made some mini bike style ones though.

I just posted up some the brochure info I had on another thread for you to check out and give you some ideas:

page 9 http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/86545-common-mini-bike-thread-9.html

Almost forgot about the "revolt" too found on another page of that thread :eek:hmy:

page 7 http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/86545-common-mini-bike-thread-7.html

good luck with them :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WLB

I think an electric bike would be perfect for cruising around shows such as Portland, IN where you stop and look at things every few minutes. Letting the bike idle for long periods of time or restarting it a hundred times in a day is a nuisance--and the latter is hard on an old man's shoulder joint:laugh::laugh:

Greetings ...welcome..electric motors are fast, lighter and efficient these days..a set up using brakes to charge batteries would be cool..lol..just be careful people not walk in front of you at events with that stealth bike :laugh:.....no one ignores a loud gas bike.

I have an electric mini bike--in fact the only one left and bought from the designer. It is powered by an original brushless motor and a homemade circuit board. I went to an electric bike shop and they modified a control unit for the bike which is half the size of the original.I managed to get an original seat and all the literature pertaining to the bike from the company owner--a great guy.It will remain original and look forward to completing my "FLEE" mini bike. Electric will gain in popularity--look at GO PEDS!

Sprocket86

The first two things that come to my mind when I hear "electric mini bike" are 1) The benefit of instant on demand torque 2) Super stealth mode mini bike runs in places that you shouldn't be lol.

A few years ago there was a company offering a mini-bike driven by a 18V DeWalt drill. You took the drill and chucked it onto the bike and away you went. You could remove the drill and use it for.....drilling. I don't know if it is still up but they used to have a you-tube video of them running one around. I believe they were pretty pricey, 800.00 I think I might be wrong about that. They were very cool and I wanted one badly because I had many drills to use on it.