End play?

I picked up a project hs50 yesterday and it has a bearings on the pto. I haven’t messed with one before so I’m not sure if it there is supposed to crankshaft end play or not? It doesn’t seem like there could/should be with bearings but I don’t know enough...

Correct and right now the crank has virtually no end play. None that I can feel at least. It doesn’t feel bound or anything. I’m just not used to a crankshaft without end play.

delray

some times it's hard to pickup the end play,especially when everything is still bolted up...rod..piston...etc.. i'm sure you have something there.
you really need to mount a dial indicator and go from there. also you will want to do this when you assemble the engine together. i'm assuming right now it's all original has not been clean and taken apart yet?

I bought it without any of the crankcase bolts, the crank cover pulled from the crank so the insides were all kinds of dirty. I pulled the cover off, removed the bearing from the cover, cleaned everything out, lubed and reassembled. I’ve only got 4 bolts holding the cover on right now so I may pick up a bit more clearance once it’s fully bolted up.

I bought the motor as a project so I’ll be happy if I can save it but not heart broken if I can’t. My concern was that I didn’t reset the bearing correctly and that was affecting the end play. I probably should’ve mentioned that in my initial post...I couldn’t find any info on whether or not bearing motors have the same end play as bushing motors.

markus

Correct and right now the crank has virtually no end play. None that I can feel at least. It doesn’t feel bound or anything. I’m just not used to a crankshaft without end play.
that's how it should be, That is the advantage to the ball bearing vs the bushing engine, where they allow .005-.027" or something like that to smack back and forth on them.

I’m used to old worn out engines that go clip clap and run just well enough to make me feel like I didn’t waste my time and money on them.

thanks everybody for the help...

Just wanted say that I got the engine running for the most part. Whatever amount of endplay I do or do not have seems to not be a problem. Now if I could just find a decent carb I could put this one on the shelf...

Thanks again...