engine advice.

ok. so ive been working on my rupp engine for almost a year now, keeping everything original and my hopes up.

as of now my Tecumseh h35 has all the parts that it needs to run, but i lack the tools to put the rod and rings in.

so i called local shops (10 of them) AND.. 8 of them said they dont do that. 1 said that they dont want to bother because Tecumseh has bad rep. and the last said it would take 2 hours a $150.95 to put rings and a rod into this little engine.

1. is this really a two hour job?

2. im afraid that after all this time and money my engine is gonna crap out on me. so for those of you that own h35's, how good are they? do they last long? do they run well?

3. i was thinking about putting it up on here (OldMiniBikes) for sale or trade for a honda, because hondas last long and have some pretty cool features.

so what should i do?

-GC-

C9H13NO3

What tools do you need? A torque wrench is 10.99 from HF, and a ring compressor is at the MOST 15.99 from Sears. Have you honed the bore?

+ Just keep the tec and get it running. A honda runs but it won't look right.+

Clyde

What tools do you need? A torque wrench is 10.99 from HF, and a ring compressor is at the MOST 15.99 from Sears. Have you honed the bore?

+ Just keep the tec and get it running. A honda runs but it won't look right.+
Is h35 an aluminum cylinder ? May want to check before a hone job.

Regardless, do it yourself.

Tools are cheap , knowledge that you will get is worth every bit of the effort.

Easy job with the simple tools (example of tool type at HF about $8)>>>>

Last edited:

Oldsalt

First you say you are "keeping everything original". Then one dilated dude [on the phone!] tells you the Tec engine has a bad reputation. Then you start thinking about putting a Honda engine in it!

When I was a kid I put a lot of minibike engines together w/o a ring compressor or a torque wrench. Getting the piston into the hole w/o a compressor taught me patience. Getting things properly tightened w/o a torque wrench taught me to have a delicate touch. Didn't always get it right, but it was great training.

believe it or not, but this is what I use to get the rings/piston back down in the cylinder. There is a straight edge (plastic of course) that works well to push the rings in while my hand guides the opposite side of them into the grooves while i put steady pressure downwards into the bore. Since it's soft plastic, you don't have to worry about marring any surfaces of the piston or jacking up the delicate rings. i've done it several times and this tool cost me maybe 4 dollars at home depot. As Tom says, it's all about getting creative and having patience.
By no means am I telling you that you should run out and buy one of these, but hopefully this and others advice will help you realize you just need to do a little brainstorming and you'll get that piston in there soon enough! :thumbsup:

alright sounds like ill give it a try.. im just worried that im gonna blow my engine after all the money i threw at it.. anyway ill get the tools and see what i can do..

also does anyone have any tips for putting compression rings back on a piston? i got instructions when i bought the rings but it dosnt help much.. im just trying not to break them.

thanks guys
-GC-

Clyde

Maybe re-post your inquiry in the Engine Section , then Tecumseh Engines?:shrug:

Here is a quick general concept of what you will do. The guy is working on an old tractor, and has a cool accent, the procedure should give you inspiration ... other Tecumseh guys can guide you exactly for your motor.
{Oh, one tip----don't try to put real cold rings in , they can get a bit brittle. Best to do shop work at warm room temperature. Just saying this cause it is still winter here, and my garage is pretty cold.}
YouTube - Using a Piston Ring Compressor.wmv
Youtube is full of tips like this one >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVWzGh2VPM4&feature=related

Last edited:
Why don't you just buy a Harbor freight 6.5hp clone and stick on it. :doah:
I now it isn't correct for a Rupp purest, But there cheap and run good and you will be riding it in no time.:scooter:

son of a gun, thats how you put rings on. i tried on 1 of my tecs, but of course i broke the ring:doah:. but as for compressing the rings to get the cylinder in, i just use a hose clamp, works all the time for me, well the few times that i did do it:thumbsup: