Engine for a Western Auto SS300 Trail Bike?

I just acquired an old SS300 Trail Bike in awesome shape but totally stripped of an engine, all that's left is the frame, fenders, wheels and sprocket.

Would like to build it back to its former glory, but I have no idea WHAT engine to use. Hell I have no idea what other parts I need either but I am willing to ask questions, listen, learn and then BUILD! I have a fairy-godmother willing to finance me, I just need to know what to buy and where to buy it from.

Anyone out there in OldMiniBikes-land willing to help a mom out? Please.

markus

Look before you leap, I don't think a standard Briggs and Stratton will fit unless it has a different fuel tank and carburetor. The design of those particular bikes don't leave much room between rear fender and motor plate.
they originally cam with Tecumseh small block HS engines.

Markus, your pic is exactly what I have and exactly what I want my sons bike to look like. What type of engine do you have on yours?

markus

Markus, your pic is exactly what I have and exactly what I want my sons bike to look like. What type of engine do you have on yours?

that engine was a Tecumseh HS35 3.5hp you could get that same size/style ranging from 2.5-5hp and it would be the most direct fit for that bike. There was a version of this motor that the exhaust exited out the left side of the motor instead of the rear, you DO NOT want that motor for that bike. It will place the exhaust right on your sons leg. I mention that because if you are going to be looking around here in FL that the is the most common style you are going to find, reason for that is about the only common piece of equipment that would use an engine like a minibike here in FL is a grass edger and the side exhaust was popular for them.
snowblowers had good engines for minibikes...... but you just dont see them much around these parts :wink:

you are better off trying to locate one that is for a minibike or go kart to as well, some of the yard equipment etc.. engines are setup with fixed throttles and things of that nature. the time and money wasted rigging it up can bite you in the ass sometimes.

Good luck with it, I don't have mine anymore, I bought it in pieces and rebuilt it, and it turned out to be a way better riding bike than I anticipated! It is a very good size for kids and adults as well.

a newer version of this same engine will look more like this one, and in reality probably more "correct" for the bike, as I belive that these were actually mid 70-early 80's built bikes :

Last edited: