Engine ID

Yesterday I spent some time working on my Tote Goat. It has a big older style Briggs, but I'm not sure of the hp - the shroud has a decal stating it's 7 hp but the decal is up side down, which makes me believe the shroud/recoil came from a vert. crankshaft motor. The model & serial #s are stamped on the shroud, which makes it difficult to ID. Perhaps if I give some description it may help solve the mystery.

The crankshaft drive end is 1" dia.; it uses an updraft carb with a throat just under 1"; the exhaust port is threaded for 1" pipe (I think?) but has 2 ea. 1/4" x 20 bolt holes on either side of the port to accept a flange mount header. It stands aprox 14" tall from base to head. The data on the shroud reads...

Model....170702
Type.....1133-01
Code.....700911

Without pulling the head & measuring bore & stroke, is there another way to ID this engine for HP spare parts?

Any help appreciated - Thanks!

Joe in St Louis

the model tells how big the engine is
the type tells where it was manufactured
and the code tells when it was manufactured
Ive had the same problem with someone changing the blower housing from from a vert. crankshaft engine to a horiz. crankshaft engine.

Thanks for the link, Josh. I took those numbers to the parts manual page at B & S site; Model 170702. The third & fourth digit verifies that the shroud came from a vertical crankshaft engine, which was 17 Cu. In (1st two digits). By changing the 3rd & 4th digits from 07 to 04, I found a parts manual & printed it up for a horiz. crank model which looks similar to what I have.

Even though the vert. crankshaft shroud fits onto my engine's shroud, I still don't know exactly what I have. From what I've gathered, there are no ID numbers stamped into the block anywhere. Is there another reference somewhere that would cross bore & stroke to hp? Do aluminum block Briggs engines built in the '70s have a general alpha-numeric designation like I read you guys referring to in other posts?

Appreciate the help,

Joe in St Louis