Engine Testing Help

I have a 6hp Tecumseh that came off of a Craftsman tractor which has an electric starter/generator. I was wondering does anybody know of any way to test this engine without using the electric starter and without spending the money on a recoil starter.

Heres a photo ...

That front pulley is designed to be used as a ripcord (rope start) just like Wylee Cyotee.. :thumbsup: Just get ya a good length of rope, tie a knot in one end, handle on the other, stick the knot in the notch of that font pulley, wrap it a couple times and yank the hell out of it.. Or you could just belt another electric or gas motor to it via V belt..

restore kid is wright but one thing ill warn you one doing it that way . dont and i do mean dont wrap the rope around your hand . put a pull handle on it even if its just a stick tied on the end .i did the ill just pull it wrapped around my hand thing worked well till i got a kick back and then :scared::censure::censure::surrender::censure::crying::crying: didnt rip off the fingers but man did it pinch the hell out of them

Forgot to mention in the last post. Is there a way to remember which way to pull?

Thanks, I'm kinda dumb when it comes to things like this but I'm learning.
Nick
you want to pull so that the crank on the other side of motor (where your clutch is/will be is rotating forward. Think of the way you'd want your chain to be spinning to make you go forward. So you will be pulling to spin in a clockwise motion if you are looking at the pulley from the right side of the motor.
look at the attached picture, you should see where the pull cord will be pulled from.

Forgot to mention in the last post. Is there a way to remember which way to pull?

Thanks, I'm kinda dumb when it comes to things like this but I'm learning.
Nick
yep dumb question that i myself have had to ask . if you look at your pulley see how the cut out points clock wise ? going from top to bottom . you want the rope to pull in to the cut out . if you wind the rope back wards you cant pull the rope into the cut out .
try the vid it may help ya out
YouTube - Briggs & Stratton 5s ~ One Banger Boys

yep dumb question that i myself have had to ask . if you look at your pulley see how the cut out points clock wise ? going from top to bottom . you want the rope to pull in to the cut out . if you wind the rope back wards you cant pull the rope into the cut out .
try the vid it may help ya out
There ya go Grasshoppa :thumbsup: The notch will only work one way.. Most any small engine in the world will turn clockwise.. Unless it's 2 cycle.. they run both ways.. :doah:

Metal man is right both ways.. NEVER tie that thing around yourself.. A good stout engine could backfire and cut your hand off. :eek:hmy: Just use a regular pull rope, cut off from a lawn mower ya don't need.. ALSO it's nice to get the engine rolled to compresion about to hit... Then get like two good wraps with a nice reach were it feels comfortable to pull from so you can really rip on the cord.... And tie your knot there and cut off the axtra.. :thumbsup:

That will make the engine much easier to start.. That pulley is huge and the motor will pull slow as hell.. :doah: It's nice to get two good pops with power behind it...

I REMOVED my recoil because they look too new, and these things never break. :shifty:

[/IMG]