Exploding Governor

I've seen a bike throw a rod in person (ungoverned 5hp Tecumseh flathhead) and have seen pics/video of flywheels that have come apart in GX/clone/Predator engines. Those alone are enough for me to run the billet parts. If the governor gear comes apart all it's going to do is ruin your engine.

Do a search. Governor removal has been beat to death on the internet. All the info you need on it is out there.

I've seen a bike throw a rod in person (ungoverned 5hp Tecumseh flathhead) and have seen pics/video of flywheels that have come apart in GX/clone/Predator engines. Those alone are enough for me to run the billet parts. If the governor gear comes apart all it's going to do is ruin your engine.

Do a search. Governor removal has been beat to death on the internet. All the info you need on it is out there.
I bought an ARC flywheel with 8 degrees built in, Ruixing carb w/ 140 tube and 37 jet, intake, rvl pipe and an Autolite plug. I plan on leaving the governor but "adjusting" it for around 5,000 rpm. I know the valves typically float at 5500 with the stock hemi springs and the rod starves at about 6200. I know if I go for broke I need to do the rod, pull the governor and change the linkage. I'm trying to build something I can run every day besides my 196 full builds.

I bought an ARC flywheel with 8 degrees built in, Ruixing carb w/ 140 tube and 37 jet, intake, rvl pipe and an Autolite plug. I plan on leaving the governor but "adjusting" it for around 5,000 rpm. I know the valves typically float at 5500 with the stock hemi springs and the rod starves at about 6200. I know if I go for broke I need to do the rod, pull the governor and change the linkage. I'm trying to build something I can run every day besides my 196 full builds.
Transferable performance if she wears out sort of thing

Are the weights on the Tillotson or Ducar better? How do they stay governed to 5200-5800 with cast aluminum flywheels, 196 ramped cams and standard rods? I know the Ducar has a different wrist pin but what makes the bottom ends stay intact?

I feel like you think you know a lot more than you actually do. Going by your post history you haven't done any real builds past basic stuff. Do your thing and I hope the best for you with it.

I try and edge helpful information from other people's experiences. I never pulled a governor or messed with one without changing the rod first. I'm not one to blow an entire motor so I look for others who know the actual limits of these engines. I've spent hundreds on multiple engines building them and would have peace of mind knowing how much juice I can squeeze before catastrophic failure without making a crazy investment. I know enough to at least ask more experienced builders before breaking something I own. I'd just throw a rod in but who knows how far ARC is behind, the whole backorder situation is a total buzzkill.

I feel like you think you know a lot more than you actually do. Going by your post history you haven't done any real builds past basic stuff. Do your thing and I hope the best for you with it.
Thats also a bit of a dink thing to comment bro. Everyone starts somewhere and negative feedback is often necessary to prevail in the advancement one's endeavors. As far as trial and error goes there is nothing that defies logic worse than not finding relative matter from the experience of those who have tried before you. Theres no reason to waste time, materials or energy on tangible resources if you already know the result. So instead of turning your nose up with smug remarks take a moment and step down from your pedestal my friend. I'm not out racing karts, this is a mini bike forum and I enjoy the simple pleasure it provides. If I want to spend $500 or more building a race engine then I would. I'm looking for a cheaper alternatives to crush laps around my front field. My flywheel already cost as much as the entire engine so I'm trying to see if I can run it harder with the governor still in or if its a dead horse that absolutely needs to come out. I know the advantages of billet rods with bearings but there must be something else that is in the other two motors that isn't in a Predator. Nothing and no one has specified whether its a better governor, superior cast rod or both.

Thats also a bit of a dink thing to comment bro. Everyone starts somewhere and negative feedback is often necessary to prevail in the advancement one's endeavors. As far as trial and error goes there is nothing that defies logic worse than not finding relative matter from the experience of those who have tried before you. Theres no reason to waste time, materials or energy on tangible resources if you already know the result. So instead of turning your nose up with smug remarks take a moment and step down from your pedestal my friend. I'm not out racing karts, this is a mini bike forum and I enjoy the simple pleasure it provides. If I want to spend $500 or more building a race engine then I would. I'm looking for a cheaper alternatives to crush laps around my front field. My flywheel already cost as much as the entire engine so I'm trying to see if I can run it harder with the governor still in or if its a dead horse that absolutely needs to come out. I know the advantages of billet rods with bearings but there must be something else that is in the other two motors that isn't in a Predator. Nothing and no one has specified whether its a better governor, superior cast rod or both.
I'm not a kart racer at all and build stuff to ride with my friends. I'm also working on a bike now that has thousands into it just to compete with a friend of mine. It'll be fun to see who's faster. We're both in situations where budget isn't much of a concern either. His engine will be going in a bike to run for a record at Bonneville (which he's done before) once it's proven it's a runner in a minibike.

Like I said before, do your thing.

chrisr

I try and edge helpful information from other people's experiences. I never pulled a governor or messed with one without changing the rod first. I'm not one to blow an entire motor so I look for others who know the actual limits of these engines. I've spent hundreds on multiple engines building them and would have peace of mind knowing how much juice I can squeeze before catastrophic failure without making a crazy investment. I know enough to at least ask more experienced builders before breaking something I own. I'd just throw a rod in but who knows how far ARC is behind, the whole backorder situation is a total buzzkill.
Doing a quick google and ebay search, doesn't look like the 212 ARC rod or flywheel is to hard come by and pretty cheap compared to damaging an entire engine if the rod/flywheel lets go as well as the rider could sustain possible damage. Having the ARC rod/flywheel and properly removing the governor allows for more flexibility on your options like a more aggressive cam and head/valvetrain mods as you are wanting more speed. If you ask around and do your research like you are doing some of the stage kits are pretty attractive to allow for sustainable growth options.

Doing a quick google and ebay search, doesn't look like the 212 ARC rod or flywheel is to hard come by and pretty cheap compared to damaging an entire engine if the rod/flywheel lets go as well as the rider could sustain possible damage. Having the ARC rod/flywheel and properly removing the governor allows for more flexibility on your options like a more aggressive cam and head/valvetrain mods as you are wanting more speed. If you ask around and do your research like you are doing some of the stage kits are pretty attractive to allow for sustainable growth options.
I already have an ARC flywheel coming, its the rod they are on backorder several hundred units.. Governorless throttle linkages aren't in till next week (no biggie there). I'm trying to build something without pulling the head and such. Typically a Predator 212 could last 2-3 years in stock configuration. I'm not convinced the sleeve can last too awful long with much over 6000 RPMs so I'm trying to build a 5000 rpm governed motor to last longer. In all likelihood I'm going to get a rod and build the entire motor anyway just because I'm addicted to building bullet proof engines. I already did two 196s, a nasty 163/168f hybrid and I'm sitting on 5 engines and 3 bikes. I really dig my stage 1 Predator non-hemi because its so darn dependable I just want my hemi to be faster than that. I have $400-$500 in each motor and its not like anyone will buy them because they don't know the difference between a HF stock engine and a fully built clone.

I already have an ARC flywheel coming, its the rod they are on backorder several hundred units.. Governorless throttle linkages aren't in till next week (no biggie there). I'm trying to build something without pulling the head and such. Typically a Predator 212 could last 2-3 years in stock configuration. I'm not convinced the sleeve can last too awful long with much over 6000 RPMs so I'm trying to build a 5000 rpm governed motor to last longer. In all likelihood I'm going to get a rod and build the entire motor anyway just because I'm addicted to building bullet proof engines. I already did two 196s, a nasty 163/168f hybrid and I'm sitting on 5 engines and 3 bikes. I really dig my stage 1 Predator non-hemi because its so darn dependable I just want my hemi to be faster than that. I have $400-$500 in each motor and its not like anyone will buy them because they don't know the difference between a HF stock engine and a fully built clone.
Do you know which rod I can run with the stock piston? Can I go longer and utilize a tighter head gasket?

Do you know which rod I can run with the stock piston? Can I go longer and utilize a tighter head gasket?
I totally understand where you are comin from, you are just lookin for a little bit more power/rpms and still rely on the gov to keep things in check to avoid catastrophic failure. As suggested by charles s, might want to have this moved or post another topic in the clone engine section. Might get more attention from guys who tinker with these engines and can answer you with factual first hand knowledge.

I totally understand where you are comin from, you are just lookin for a little bit more power/rpms and still rely on the gov to keep things in check to avoid catastrophic failure. As suggested by charles s, might want to have this moved or post another topic in the clone engine section. Might get more attention from guys who tinker with these engines and can answer you with factual first hand knowledge.
I actually just realized that. Oops again.