Fast and feasible although I would not do it.

Oldsalt

Lord help us. Seems like you're through talkin'. I went looking for the outboard that I been slapping my jowels about. Found a V 4 that was on a boat that burned. I'm scared of it it, so I still had no luck. But now that I see your big 4 stroke mill laying there I'm thinking that maybe that's the way to go. I got no idea how you plan to do it but I can't help kibitzing. So here goes. If installed in it's normal tranverse position the engine would be sorta wide but certinally no worse than the SBC that are often put in Harley frames. The frame can be in two pieces and bolt together at the steering head with the engine being a structural member. Cooling can be handled by a rad. on the forks. Don't think you can utilize the air box because of the size; possibly use 4 stacks with screens. The carbs and plugs will be well above the top frame rails. In a previous post it was mentioned that many moons ago I put a 202cc Gilera engine in a Taco sized frame. The fuel tank had to be on the bars so that it was high enough to provide enough head. As a jack shaft will [probably] be needed it appears that there is available room above the trans and below the carbs. The Gilera was a single and I tucked the discharge of the exhaust pipe closely under the engine, no muffler. I would guess you will have to omit the muffler along with the air box. O.K., now after all that ....How do you figger on doing it?

65ShelbyClone

Best quote of the whole thread. :thumbsup:

Seems like you're through talkin'.

I would guess you will have to omit the muffler along with the air box. O.K., now after all that ....How do you figger on doing it?
I always like to have something to illustrate my ideas. Talk is cheap, but actions speak louder than words. The only thing that keeps me from putting my money where my mouth is is the fact that I don't usually have extra money. Honda CBR600F4i engine courtesy of tax return. :001_tongue: 12:1 compression, 110hp @ 12,500rpm, redline @ 14,500rpm.

For exhaust, I had a 4-1 header and open megaphone in mind. It will be brain-death loud.......:thumbsup:

Since it would most likely be for short runs, I think maybe a half gallon coolant tank would work instead of a radiator.

The engine is only about 18" at the widest, but height is more than that. I eyeballed it with a ruler and it's ~19" tall without the stacks or airbox. Those two items add another 6-8".

I thought I would just skip the jackshaft part and go direct like a bike. The frontal area of a minibike coupled with the aggressive gear ratio from a smaller tire shouldn't need any torque multiplication.

65ShelbyClone

They are available for karts. Aixro makes them and it wouldn't be a big deal to put one on a minibike. 48hp might be hard to control, though.

BTW, it's the multiple rotor engines that sound funny. A single rotor sounds similar to a 2-cycle.

speaking of 2 cycle engines... Has anyone ever tries a mcculloch 2 cycle engine? I dont think performance parts are made for them anymore but my dad has a freind who use to race them and he told he would spin that little engine 18,000 - 20,000 rpm... with that kinda of power the would make one fast mini bike....

65ShelbyClone

The McCullochs were used for quite a while, but I think the newer 2-smokes probably make considerably more power. 18,000-20,000rpm is about the highest I've heard claimed for any of the kart 2-cycle engines.

I really, really like the smokers, but there's just something about the thumpers that I like a little more. :biggrin:

drheilman

Thank You. Yes this one is mine. Its a 1958 Flexo Scrambler.(check my photos) I cant decide if this is the one I should "restore" for the build off or not. If I do I'll be putting a larger McCullouch on it that I have laying around the shop......decisions.....decisions......

yeah I thing I would put a bigger mac on it... man I wish they still made performance parts for the Macs.... Those would great motors for minis....

jake

you guys are complete maniacs. my taco 22 with a 4 hp is way scariy and i ride a gsxr 1000 for my streetbike. I believe I need a little bigger frame for stability and some real brakes.

Engines and modifications

I was at a display of antique items and saw what I thought would have made a very interesting mini bike engine. It was a horizontally opposed twin cylinder 2 stroke engine on a push lawn mower. I think the engine was made in the 50's and was made by a company called Power Products Inc. The engine was of course a vertical shaft but I instantly thought how the 2 stroke should easily run in any position--just would need the intake altered so that the carb could still be upright once the engine was laid sideways from its originally intended position. Not certain how much hp it would have made but it was just a darned cool little engine. Never have seen anything else quite like it. Also interesting is that very same day at the same event someone else had a 4 cycle horizontally opposed twin cylinder Maytag washing machine engine---also very cool.
Regards,
Terry