fastest "out of the box" vintage mini bike?!?

My new resto project showed up yesterday- a 71 Arctic Cat Screamer.It came from upper Minn. & im happy as a kid on Christmas!! It was disassembled for shipping but is 95% complete & original.This thing has a 8hp 134cc Chrysler 2 stroke.The sticker on the tank says: caution high powered competition model. Im curious if this thing is one of the fastest stock minis from back in the day. I see the Black Widow is known as one of the fastest but the screamer has more hp.Any thoughts or info from you guys?? I will ad a picture of the tank in my profile with my other pics.

We had a cat mini when I was younger,it had a black and white animal print seat and it was the fastest mini I ever rode maybe besides my old rupp 80. The rupp was more a motorcycle than a mini though. That cat mini would go up,through over anything including above ground pools.

This thing has a 8hp 134cc Chrysler 2 stroke.The sticker on the tank says: caution high powered competition model. Im curious if this thing is one of the fastest stock minis from back in the day. I see the Black Widow is known as one of the fastest but the screamer has more hp.Any thoughts or info from you guys?? I will ad a picture of the tank in my profile with my other pics.

Congrats on your bike, to answer your question it probley is one of the faster bikes. The Rupp B/W is not even in contention.

Remember, don't compare H.P with speed. 2 strokes are spinning twice as fast, and rpm's is whats turning the cogs. If you spin 7:1 at 3500 rpms you might be going 30 mph But if you spin 7:1 at 7000 RPM's your going 60 "just estimates"
Your 8 HP is 134cc.... A Broncco Eagle for example was 75cc and was rated at 8.5 HP at 9500 RPM.... A Rupp B/W was 172cc and rated at 4.2 HP @ 3600

That Bonanza would be sweet!! Anyone here have one? Im gonna do a full resto on the Screamer but ride it when im done.My wife has a Whisker & I drive a Ramrod.I cant wait to ride this thing!!

I thought the Speedway Silver Shadow with the Sachs 125cc engine or the Benelli Volcano with its 180cc engine were the fastest production minibike. Both were two strokes engines with ten inch wheels.

is there a difference between mini BIKE and mini CYCLE?:wink:
LOL, The age old debate. Speedway advertised there Silver Shadow as the worlds fastest mini-cycle. So..........
In my opinion and only my opinion 10" and up bikes are mini cycles. But that's something that can be debated until the end of time.

The Screamer has 6" wheels with 14" tires & a huge sprocket. My Ramrod has 10" wheels & the same size rear sprocket.This thing should scream!!

I think 6-10 inch wheels are mini-cycles, and 10+ are motorcycles, we should have a big vote on terms to use here on the board and straighten this whole thing out, every time I look at a bike with spoked wheels I question myself if its a mini bike or not.

I do not know were the line is between them but I like them all and class them all as minibikes. I have more fun with small bikes than bigger one know. They all sit about the same height and around the same length. I use the saying "Big guy and a little bike" all the time to my wife. Borrowed it from Tommy Boy "Big guy and a little suit" line from that movie changed it a bit!

Last edited:
If we are talking traditional all American mini's and not mini cycles or foreign engines ,,,,

Savage in 1959-60's was known for winning desert races with the 6.5 Bee and Flea had a 7.5 Yamaha, However motorcycle engines should be in their own category since they aren't traditional or American. IMO, the motorcycle engines never belonged in mini's, why not get a dirt bike then? :eek:ut:

The question might need to be broken down to three classes. :doah:

I think 6-10 inch wheels are mini-cycles, and 10+ are motorcycles, we should have a big vote on terms to use here on the board and straighten this whole thing out, every time I look at a bike with spoked wheels I question myself if its a mini bike or not.
I don't care, and a vote would just get you 10,000 opinions. As long as it's Vintage I like it. And that includes the Jap bikes. Just no new china junk. The term Mini Cycle was nothing more then a marketing ploy as the generation grew out of there minibikes. It's cool to read through the old mags because you can follow the trend. Even azusa advertised "kits" to turn your minibike into a minicycle. The "kit" was 10" wheels.

I have TONS of info on minicycles / motorcycles, but this is a minibike site so I excluded it from the scans I did. But if anyone wants anything I may have it and would send it to you.

To me a minibike has solid wheels smaller then 10" But again that's opinion #1 of 10,000.......
:scooter: <------and thats a scooter:smile: