fastest "out of the box" vintage mini bike?!?

I cleaned up my '71 Artic Cat Screamer today, and am having carborator issues. The low setting was at 1 and a half turns backed off, and the high setting was at 4 and a half turns backed from tight. The engine is still not getting gas, I played with the settings until I got tired of pull starting the mini-bike, any suggestions on where these settings should be? I also am a little suspect of the diaphram like fuel pump, it may not be doing its job.
I remember having difficulty starting this mini bike as a kid because of the high compression, and able to do wheelies on comand because of its power, but speed wise it topped out at 42-45 mph. I would burry my cousins Honda 70 at a start and on the trails, but on a paved straight away, the Honda 70 would eventually catch the Artic Cat Screamer.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
My buddy has a old Mac 101 that came on a minibike. It was fast for a long time ago, but it was pretty torqueless. I think that it would do 55mph back 20 years ago. But compared to now it would get beat by a 45mph doodle bug with a 6.5hp clone on it.

Silver shadow fastest stock mini. 77mph
Taller tires, so theoretical top speed with a given gear ratio might have been faster, but that Maico was 16 HP and 120 pounds, with the Shadow at 12.5 HP and nearly 150 pounds. Also, I read elsewhere that the Maico went much faster than 55 MPH as stated on the brochure. 75 MPH. Looking at that Maico front end, there is no way that an average rider would have went that fast with it.

But here's the rub. That Speedway is not a mini bike. Sure, we can get into "that" discussion again, LOL but I don't think any spoke wheel of 10 or more inches qualifies as a mini bike, when the term mini bike was attributed initially to tiny machines with 4" wheels.

The Bug Flea was a mini bike, and sported a 125cc Yamaha engine, and it was only rated at 7.5 HP.

How about a Tony Pony Mini Bike West Bend 820 torque Converter. 6 ' wheels
Taller tires, so theoretical top speed with a given gear ratio might have been faster, but that Maico was 16 HP and 120 pounds, with the Shadow at 12.5 HP and nearly 150 pounds. Also, I read elsewhere that the Maico went much faster than 55 MPH as stated on the brochure. 75 MPH. Looking at that Maico front end, there is no way that an average rider would have went that fast with it.

But here's the rub. That Speedway is not a mini bike. Sure, we can get into "that" discussion again, LOL but I don't think any spoke wheel of 10 or more inches qualifies as a mini bike, when the term mini bike was attributed initially to tiny machines with 4" wheels.

The Bug Flea was a mini bike, and sported a 125cc Yamaha engine, and it was only rated at 7.5 HP.
I believe 12.5hp is correct for speedway. And 75 cond be possible with 2 cycle 16hp and most likely we are talking about the best possible riding condition especially when we are talking top speed not a gravel road .Lol Lets Just say they have made some powerful bikes even to todays standards....Lets keep in mind these are for fun . I not only look at H.P. but style. Quality. Reliability . And out of the ordinary Engineering . from then to Now....Think about it they all have there Good and Bad points...

How about a Tony Pony Mini Bike West Bend 820 torque Converter. 6 ' wheels

I believe 12.5hp is correct for speedway. And 75 cond be possible with 2 cycle 16hp and most likely we are talking about the best possible riding condition especially when we are talking top speed not a gravel road .Lol Lets Just say they have made some powerful bikes even to todays standards....Lets keep in mind these are for fun . I not only look at H.P. but style. Quality. Reliability . And out of the ordinary Engineering . from then to Now....Think about it they all have there Good and Bad points...
The Bonanza Mx1500 hodaka ace I had was fast and torquey. But not as fast as youd think. First gear was useless. It had been modified with lightened piston different head with dual spark plug holes, chrome hearter tank ect. Around 60 mph but got there scary fast. When it came on the power band it would dam near get away from me. Should never sold it. wortth a fortune now. Had a Bonanza with a McCullough that would kick it butt at the same time.. Mark Screenshot_20190418-212347_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_2018-12-12-17-05-27.png

As a Kid having fun anything with wheels was Fassttt . But all with one Goal in mind !!!! Now the World was are Race Track !!! Quick or Slow - Gone ....Lol !!!

Ding Ding

Technically, the Silver Shadow did not have spoke wheels. You have to get in to the 14" wheel Speedway bikes to get spoke wheels.:)

Technically, the Silver Shadow did not have spoke wheels. You have to get in to the 14" wheel Speedway bikes to get spoke wheels.:)
OK, but I (and the great, and unwashed OldMiniBikes sphere of oracles) decreed mini bikes also stopped at ten inches. Which of course makes all of my tote gotes and Bearcat Twister "mini bikes" as well. LOL...

Itype2slo

Gotta figure jockey size, The average weight of a 14 year old in 1975. Kids today are a tad larger. Not sure if any of these bikes would hit 60-75 with my big fat butt. Small wheel minibikes get scary at high speeds.

Addicted 2 Minis

Not to start a war but my definition of a true mini bike would be a suspension-less bike of simple origin with wheels no larger than 6" using an engine intended for industrial purpose. When I say suspension-less, I mean not using real shocks and such, simple spring suspension on the front without a rear swing-arm is okay in my book. Mini bikes were the born at race tracks, cars and karts alike, using a kart engine would be the obvious choice to build such a machine. Remember, most go kart engines were intended for chainsaws and pumps, not motorcycles. It wasn't until the market started dying when most companies started offering suspension. The next level was to use small dirt bike engines with transmissions, these are the bikes that I would not classify as a mini bike, if a company produced a small simple bike with a 350cc or larger street bike engine would it still be a mini bike?, not in my book!. When they start looking like motorcycles and use motorcycle parts, they are motorcycles, just smaller.