Fat Tony157's - Wards/Gilson - (Vintage Open)

I appreciate the offer, but last night I spent some time staring at the bike realized that setup won't work for me. The original setup has the sprocket on the right side of the rear wheel. With the swing arm I'm using, I have to run the sprocket on the left side and the brake disc on the right side. I played with it a bit more though. If I move the engine back to the end of the sliders, I only need to raise it an inch for the torque converter setup to fit and clear everything and the sprockets line up perfectly.
I read all of this and I may have missed it but have you thought about tilting the motor to level the TAV and just build an intake to level the carb? Seems simple but it might not be the answer or look you are looking for....

Doug

I read all of this and I may have missed it but have you thought about tilting the motor to level the TAV and just build an intake to level the carb? Seems simple but it might not be the answer or look you are looking for....

Doug
I never thought about that either. Will tilting the engine cause any oil starvation issues? I know I've seen some mini bikes with the engine tilted, but I guess I've never looked much further into it.

Mr Wulf is doing exactly what you are talking about doing with his build now. Using a kart engine mount, the engines are mounted either 7 or 15 degrees and that is the industry standard in karting. I would say that would be a viable solution and would not starve your engine of oil as its a splash system anyways. Wouldnt raising the entire engine, just as you have done with the 2x4 accomplish the same thing, as long as your engine doesnt pull back in the engine mount while ridding? Just thinking out loud.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/O...139548-david-wulfs-scratch-build-goes-11.html

Last edited:
I never thought about that either. Will tilting the engine cause any oil starvation issues? I know I've seen some mini bikes with the engine tilted, but I guess I've never looked much further into it.
Tilting the engine should not be an issue as KMC stated its common in Karting. And a lot of older Minibikes were built with the engine tilted forward for Torque Converter clearance.

I don't know how to link to a thread but look at PAP's Renegade thread in the build off and look at his engine angle and the intake he made to level the carb.

Doug

Small update. I took a page out of Mr. Wulf's page and decided to go with a go kart style 15 degree engine mount. It should be here mid this week. I went ahead and cut off the old engine mounting plates and then started on the bars the engine mount clamps too. I still need to notch them, but I am going to wait until I have the mount to start welding them in solid.

I feel like I'm already running out of time!

I feel like I'm already running out of time!
Don't sweat the time factor Tony, a good build is more important. Besides it makes the rest of us slow pokes feel better about running out of time as well.

Did you see the coping link I posted before? If you have a printer, you simply input wall thickness, diameter and angle, it computes it, and you print it out and cut your pipes on the lines with an angle grinder cutting wheel. Having done it several ways, that is the quickest and most accurate method I have found.

Coping= "fish mouth" where you join tubes/pipes to weld. And if you are already aware of this, I apologize for stating the obvious. It was a new trick for me.

Here's a link. And good job on the motor mount so far. I ended up doing almost exactly the same thing.

Don't sweat the time factor Tony, a good build is more important. Besides it makes the rest of us slow pokes feel better about running out of time as well.

Did you see the coping link I posted before? If you have a printer, you simply input wall thickness, diameter and angle, it computes it, and you print it out and cut your pipes on the lines with an angle grinder cutting wheel. Having done it several ways, that is the quickest and most accurate method I have found.

Coping= "fish mouth" where you join tubes/pipes to weld. And if you are already aware of this, I apologize for stating the obvious. It was a new trick for me.

Here's a link. And good job on the motor mount so far. I ended up doing almost exactly the same thing.
That's a good tool, I'll have to give that a shot. Usually I just eyeball it with a flapper wheel lol.

Hey Tony....I would for sure wait on your kart engine mount as it has to slide back and forth on the bars for chain adjustment.:thumbsup:

Made some progress this morning. I got the tubes notched to the best of my ability. I tacked them in first, made sure the mount sat where I wanted it to, then went to town and welded them in solid. Not the prettiest welds in the world but they should be strong. With this setup, I have about 1.5in of forward and backward movement for this engine mount. That should be plenty to set the tension on the chain.

After getting the engine installed and staring at it for awhile, I think I'm going to end up with a jackshaft in the original position as well. I think the sprocket on the torque converter will be too far away from the pivot point of the swing arm. I'll probably be throwing chains every time I ride it. I should have plenty of room for a jackshaft with where the torque converter bracket sits now.

And on a side note, I'm just about done with this clone z50r I've been rebuilding the past few months. It will probably be way too fast with the 110cc I've got bolted on it, but who would complain about that?

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've had a lot going on the past couple months. The next few weeks I will have a lot more time to work on this though. Should have some updates shortly!

Nice work, I'm really liking that z50. :thumbsup:
Thank you sir.

I finally made some progress on this turd. Sorry it's taking me so long. Still plan to have it done by the deadline... but we'll see. I should have a lot of time through the weekend and into next week to work on it. With the amount of time I have left though, it's likely going to be running with a bone stock, governed predator instead of all hopped up like I had hoped.

Anyways, I got the rear suspension finalized. I tried it out a little bit and it seems to be nice and cushy. It should ride like a Cadillac with the full front and rear suspension. Now I can assemble it, ride it and make sure I'm happy with everything, then blow it all apart for paint.