Father - Son Stories

Littlebear

I was kind of inspired by another thread to tell a short little tale from my childhood and thought starting another thread would be better. Maybe some of the other folks here could. also share some entertaining stories? Here goes one of mine:

Growing up my father was an diehard snowmobiler and Snowmobile Certification instructor. I had my own 50cc Artic Cat Kitty Cat at 4-years old. As I got older, still in grade school, my father started teaching me to ride our John Deere 340cc Spitfires. Not to big of a sled, but I just wasn't strong enough or big enough to pull that rope to get it started. Dad always had to start it for me, so I didn't go very far or I would be walking back if it died. I can't remember what year, but my dad decided to buy himself the brand new John Deere 440cc Liquifire. (fast and big sled in those days.).

Being the always up to something kid, one weekend my parents decide to go away and leave my older sister to baby sit me and my younger brother. Earlier that week in school we had started learning about leverage/pulleys etc.:p Can you see what's coming.......? Lol.... Okay, I said to myself. So, I should be able to, through the use of pulleys be able to start that 440cc monster. Using the rear handle with rope and pulleys between that and the recoil....... It worked! I have this 440cc running, and how is dad ever gonna know if I take her for a spin? Off we go! Everythings going smooooooooth, I knew my sister wouldn't know, to busy doing girly things inside, my brother just starting to talk , gas to refill the tank, no worries, I got this. After my hour or so joy ride, making sure dad would see fresh tracks anywhere near the house I return to put the sled away. Oh *#*#, Everytime dad puts the sleds away he dragged them in the garage backwards so they were ready to start and pull out right away. How am I going to turn this around and put it back? I can't even lift the rear off the ground. Tried using my pulleys, fail.

Well, I guess I'm pulling it in straight and hope he doesn't notice? That's it. He just will think he did that. My parents arrive back after their weekend away, and two days later after work during dinner my dad says to my mom: "So, you like riding my new sled better than yours huh? Do we need to trade your Spitfire in for one?" Mom replies: "No, I like mine." That was all that was said. At that moment, I realized he thought my mom had ridden it. I got away with it! My dad passed back in 2002, but if he is looking down now, I hope he's laughing his arse off. Never told him or my mom about it.

Thanks. Some of my stories don't end so well. Like the time in highschool when we were jumping VW beetles in the backyard at 3:00 in the morning, maybe a bit intoxicated.............. Not the best idea?:rolleyes: Sorry pops. Lol......
Somehow this reminds me of the time I built a potato gun when I was in my teens, and at the request of my buddy who didn't think it would work told be to shoot the door of his K5 Blazer.. I said no it will tear that door up.. well he wouldn't relent so I loaded her up with Aqua Net (purple can) and let her fly.. from about 30 or so yards away I let her rip.. caved the door in, and blew out the glass.. took a tractor and a chain to open the door..lol

On the father/son story side of things; My dad bought a one lunger Wheel Horse snowmobile when I was about 10 years old..it was meant to ride at the farm.. (we lived in the city, but my uncle was a farmer and the farm was only about 15 miles away ).. the sled stayed at our house in the city most of the time.. He taught me how to ride it... when we would get get a storm he often times would send me to the neighborhood store on it for milk and bread etc.. lol!!... even the blizzard of 78!! I loved riding it around the block with my buddies watching me..the cops never cared..
Well anyway one day we took it to the farm and my dad saddled up one of uncle Hank's Rupp sleds and gave me the Wheel Horse to ride and told me to follow him.. it was about a 40 acre farm near the airport area here with lots of rural area around. Well... dad must have forgot about me behind him and started riding more aggressively.. I kept up well until we came back into the farm property off of the road where there was a large snow drift.. and a split rail fence...he ran right up to the fence and dodged right right at the last moment.. well an old Wheel Horse was no comparison for a modern (at the time) Rupp.. I tried to make the turn but it wouldn't go..I ducked down and went right through that fence and destroyed the front of the sled... and the fence.. not a scratch on me.. he came back and checked on me.. then picked all the pieces.. he never yelled at me or said a word.. a week later the wheel horse hood was repaired with sheet aluminum and pop rivets... lol...

Littlebear

Somehow this reminds me of the time I built a potato gun when I was in my teens, and at the request of my buddy who didn't think it would work told be to shoot the door of his K5 Blazer.. I said no it will tear that door up.. well he wouldn't relent so I loaded her up with Aqua Net (purple can) and let her fly.. from about 30 or so yards away I let her rip.. caved the door in, and blew out the glass.. took a tractor and a chain to open the door..lol

On the father/son story side of things; My dad bought a one lunger Wheel Horse snowmobile when I was about 10 years old..it was meant to ride at the farm.. (we lived in the city, but my uncle was a farmer and the farm was only about 15 miles away ).. the sled stayed at our house in the city most of the time.. He taught me how to ride it... when we would get get a storm he often times would send me to the neighborhood store on it for milk and bread etc.. lol!!... even the blizzard of 78!! I loved riding iwod the block with my buddies watching me..the cops never cared..
Well anyway one day we took it to the farm and my dad saddled up one of uncle Hank's Rupp sleds and gave me the Wheel Horse to ride and told me to follow him.. it was about a 40 acre farm near the airport area here with lots of rural area around. Well... dad must have forgot about me behind him and started riding more aggressively.. I kept up well until we came back into the farm property off of the road where there was a large snow drift.. and a split rail fence...he ran right up to the fence and dodged right right at the last moment.. well an old Wheel Horse was no comparison for a modern (at the time) Rupp.. I tried to make the turn but it wouldn't go..I ducked down and went right through that fence and destroyed the front of the sled... and the fence.. not a scratch on me.. he came back and checked on me.. then picked all the pieces.. he never yelled at me or said a word.. a week later the wheel horse hood was repaired with sheet aluminum and pop rivets... lol...
Great stories. On the VW incident, my dad spoke very few words. He was there sleeping that night. Next day after sobering up and coming out of my room, dad said: What are you doing here?" I replied: "I just woke up." He said: "Oh. You know you don't live here anymore." I avoided him like the plague for the next two weeks. I knew he was furious.........lol

Well for me, I think my Dad was out to get rid of me. Some examples.
#1 Age 4, he took me and my pedal car to the road by our house. Said road was a 30% downhill about a mile long to a sharp curve. After about 100 yards, the pedals were spinning like a blender, and shortly there after the front end started to death wobble, at which point my feet and hands were no longer in control of anything. At the curve I and the cart went airborne and separated. I bounced and rebounded several times off of Mother Earth, and then just to do it right the pedal car ran over me.
#2 Since the pedal car didn't do me in, he bought me a go kart when I was 5. Oh no, not some wimpy little 3 horse powered one, this one had a 250 cc race engine from a motorcycle. After I proceeded to trench up the front yard, my mom gave him what for. So he sends me out on the road where I found out scrub brakes will not stop a missile. And a pine tree does not move when you hit it. Although I did. Again multiple impacts with the dirt, at least the kart didn't run over me.
#3 "Go feed the horse" No mention that you don't walk behind said horse. I did. Kicked me right through the fence in the paddock.
#4 He let me shoot his .308 when I was six. I found out that you don't put your eye right up against the scope and then pull the trigger.
#5 At least I made him pay for this one. Again at 6, he tied me to the seat of one of our farm tractors. Told me to take the tractor and loaded hay wagon to the barn, and when I got there to shut the tractor off. His mistake was tying me to the seat, I couldn't reach to turn the tractor off.
Went through the front of the barn, and out the back before the tractor stalled out.