Featherweight West Bend 580 engine

Not NOS, small Tilly, not used on a kart. Maybe a saw or tamper. CW rotation, @louie figone knows more about this than I do. I rebuilt one a few years ago, did some hot rod stuff to it. Still a low powered, noisy, vibrating, neighbor pissing off piece of gear. Nice vintage kart exhaust added.

Not NOS, small Tilly, not used on a kart. Maybe a saw or tamper. CW rotation, @louie figone knows more about this than I do. I rebuilt one a few years ago, did some hot rod stuff to it. Still a low powered, noisy, vibrating, neighbor pissing off piece of gear. Nice vintage kart exhaust added.
It's hard to see the picture of the tag, but if it's 58008 it was used for karting according to my WB manual. 4HP and CW like Dave said. Should have a HL88a Tilly. Keep in mind the shroud (and tag for that matter) are easily changed so it's possible thy could have been swapped at some point between 1960 and now. Easiest way to see if it was ever run is pull the exhaust and have a look at the cylinder/piston.

I'm sorry, what I meant was: Not used on a kart with the Tilly HL15A. With the damage to the fasteners on the stuffer, I would "assume" someone ran it, couldn't figure out how to rebuild the carb, or set the pop off, or whatever, then slapped on whatever carb they could find. The dirt and debris between the case and the cylinder shows that it was used. I wouldn't bother inspecting it, but I would assume it needed a full rebuild- if nothing else because the seal for the PTO is going to leak compression as soon as you start it.

Final3.JPG

I'm sorry, what I meant was: Not used on a kart with the Tilly HL15A. With the damage to the fasteners on the stuffer, I would "assume" someone ran it, couldn't figure out how to rebuild the carb, or set the pop off, or whatever, then slapped on whatever carb they could find. The dirt and debris between the case and the cylinder shows that it was used. I wouldn't bother inspecting it, but I would assume it needed a full rebuild- if nothing else because the seal for the PTO is going to leak compression as soon as you start it.

View attachment 287877
This. Would hate to see that thing rev to the moon as soon as it started (assuming it runs:D)
Also, no need to apologize Dave. That bike's a beauty!!

This. Would hate to see that thing rev to the moon as soon as it started (assuming it runs:D)
Also, no need to apologize Dave. That bike's a beauty!!
Thanks! I was "merely" fishing for compliments, much like "show and tell" in Miss Clearman's 3rd grade class. They don't run with an air leak. I found that out after rebuilding and improperly sealing it. I ended up installing a kit that reduced the opening diameter of the PTO seal via a steel reducer. A smaller seal was then installed. I also turned down the crank journal so it no longer required pressing into the case. Both the main bearing snap ring, and the rod bearing rollers were tedious to say the least. They do look and sound cool on a vintage machine, but it's a lot of work for the results. Plug and new seal below it- original seal to the left. PTO1.JPG PTO2.JPG

\./

Thanks guys, very helpful. I had a chance to take the exhaust off, doesn’t look like this has been fired before. Interesting about the Tilly, it does look on the smaller side. I’ll likely take it apart and rebuild at some point, that’s how I generally learn :cool:

The damage to the stuffer bolts could of happened when the WB factory accessory hot rod intake manifold was bolted on. That intake manifold allowed the use of the 610-820 reed cage.

O.J.

\./

You have a mini bike in mind for it? Cool lil noise maker!
I was thinking about a modified e rivet ( g rivet haha ) but may hold off until I can get a custom frame designed. It’s CW, so it’ll be the first bike that I build with the pull start on the left-hand side

\./

The damage to the stuffer bolts could of happened when the WB factory accessory hot rod intake manifold was bolted on. That intake manifold allowed the use of the 610-820 reed cage.

O.J.
possibly, or maybe someone tried fiddling with it at some point over the last 60 years and just gave up.

possibly, or maybe someone tried fiddling with it at some point over the last 60 years and just gave up.
It did not come with that reed cage. The 3 port 580 cage is flat, and uses a flat reed assy, not the longer 820 type. I use the same part, but was somehow able to get a wrench on the mounting bolts. (that was a smart ass comment)

@O.J.Didit good eye on noting that cage. I have the same one, and didn't even "see" it.

Lower Left is the cage that came on it. (PS- I agree that a micro would be a cool frame for this, and don't expect blistering performance)

Engine1.JPG

\./

It did not come with that reed cage. The 3 port 580 cage is flat, and uses a flat reed assy, not the longer 820 type. I use the same part, but was somehow able to get a wrench on the mounting bolts. (that was a smart ass comment)

@O.J.Didit good eye on noting that cage. I have the same one, and didn't even "see" it.

Lower Left is the cage that came on it. (PS- I agree that a micro would be a cool frame for this, and don't expect blistering performance)

View attachment 287924
Oh I see. Great catch guys. I don’t expect any kind of meaningful performance, I generally use predators and flatheads (raptors mostly, trying to get my hands on a BZ next). Will likely be for a kid to toot around the neighborhood