Fighter Chickens

WrenchDad

Any body raise chickens for food or egg laying? I have one hen left from the egg layers I had, she is about 8 years old and doesn't lay (hasn't for about 3 years). She now just free ranges and hangs out with our ducks, but this morning after coming down from roost in the yard she looked like a fighter jet. My first thought was " When did chickens get stabilizers"

We have a few hens and they are still laying but not much. Going to maybe get another half dozen chicks in the spring to keep our supply up.
We just can't go back to store eggs lol.

WrenchDad

I never let mine live that long , if they stop laying they stop breathing , lol
When she quit laying we just didn't have the heart to ........ she gave us about five good years so we figured she deserved to retire and live the good life (what ever that is?)

When she quit laying we just didn't have the heart to ........ she gave us about five good years so we figured she deserved to retire and live the good life (what ever that is?)
They're pets for us, with the bonus that they lay eggs. My wife calls them yard fish, because they just go back and forth endlessly in the back yard like fish in a tank. We've had a few die of old age, usually 6-8 years old. The nice part is they go w/no drama. They just walk into the coop, sit down and die. The ones we've lost to hawks, etc., now there was some drama!

WrenchDad

They're pets for us, with the bonus that they lay eggs. We've had a few die of old age, usually 6-8 years old. The nice part is they go w/no drama. QUOTE] Same here, we had six originally mostly for pets (no roosters). Raccoons got a couple, a few fought to the death after they quit laying and some just died. This one is the last one and doing well.

I'm down to two from the nine I had earlier this year after a coyote or a fox got in while I was not there.

I will also rebuild my flock in the spring with chicks.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk