final gear ratio

not sure what a good gear ratio to shoot for is. I have a 6 horse with a 10 tooth clutch and 60 tooth sprocket and I will be adding a jackshaft but do I want to stay with 10 tooth spockets (final drive 6.00)on the jackshaft or like a 13 and 17 (4.59 final drive)...I'm not looking to set land speed records or climb pikes peak :)

any help/advice is welcome

also will a 10 to 13 and 17 to 60 be smooth on the chain

Last edited:
Tires are about 12", I weigh 220 something...mostly will be flat land and not a lot of distance...leaning towards more acceleration and less top speed
At least 6:1 and 7:1 might even be better. If you are adding a jackshaft it is very easy to play around with the ratio until you get it to your liking. Is the engine a standard governed at 3,600 rpm maximum?
Michael

A checked a calculator ..at 6to1 12" tire at 3600 rpm you're at about 22mph..i say you're good like you are with 6hp,should pull to speed nice..unless there is something you are not liking about your ride..if it pulls you ok spend the money on something else imo ..extra chain,new standby clutch,wheel bearings,tires..stuff that will wear out ...maybe a comfy seat..or another roller to build up slowly a bit at a time for wrenching fun :biggrin:

Last edited: