Final questions on MBX10 engine upfit

I've read here until my eyes glazed over, just have a few final questions.

I have a Predator 212 on the way.

I believe I will need the engine mount adaptor plate and a 3/4" clutch, at the very least.

Can I use the stock chain? I was thinking of ordering a new, pre-cut one along with the clutch and plate.

Do I need to weld or cut anything to put the new engine mount plate in? I only have basic hand tools and a cordless drill, which is why I ask. I would need to take it to the guy down the street for anything more than I can do myself.

Thanks!

trinik7597

you should be good with basic hand tools :thumbsup: no cutting or welding needed 3/4 clutch is right and a new chain can never hurt :thumbsup: welcome to OldMiniBikes

Thank you folks! This will evolve into a long-term project with its own thread once I get the engine. I have lots of ideas in mind. For the time being though, my goal is to get it to take me around my property just once before the snow falls. Darn thing can't negotiate these Vermont hillsides with me on it!

You will need to drill 4 holes to mount the plate. If you bought a pmr plate it comes with decent instructions. If you bought an OldMiniBikes plate it comes with no instructions, but I think they have instructions on the web site.

I went with the OldMiniBikes plate, and there were no instructions. I think I did it the way it was intended, and it works fine, so I'm sticking with it. You'll love the 212. I could barely get moving with my 97cc. I'm not a huge guy (about 200 lbs), and the goverened 212 has not problem moving me (usually with my son riding with me).

The stock chain is junk, but it's usable. I took two links out to get it to fit. I also made a spring tensioner to help with the slack that is inevitable. I can send you pics of the tensioner if you'd like. It's super basic, and I only needed a couple of extra bolts, a spring, and a piece of flat stock to make it.

If I am correct, the rear lower fender bracket needs to be removed on the Motovox for clearance? I haven't done one yet but I have been compiling info and the seems to be the consensus.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...

If I am correct, the rear lower fender bracket needs to be removed on the Motovox for clearance? I haven't done one yet but I have been compiling info and the seems to be the consensus.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...íha½í¸ƒ
All I did on the mbx11 was relocate the rear fender. Which involved unbolting it, the rear hole becomes the front hole and I melted 2 new holes using the the factory mounting holes as a guide. To melt the holes I just heated a phillips head screwdriver then pushed it through the plastic fender. I could have drilled it but I was lazy and my way worked fine.

Hello, all. Hope you can use this coupon.

Not a bad idea to introduce myself as a new member with this awesome FIRST POST!

I just bought 2 MBX10's from Kmart, only $240 each. New, not refurb's so it seems like a good deal? I pick up the bikes tomorrow while the kiddies are in school.

I also ordered 2 jackshaft kits for 'em from hotrodminibike.com. I read about a discount on the Jackshaft kits for forum members, did i miss out on that? They were $119ea + shipping.

As for the 212 upgrade, I'm not ready yet, so I wont need this coupon til' next Christmas ;) I hope someone can use it? Hurry, type in the code before someone else does, probably only good once.

Hope I can save someone some $$$.

See y'all around, Srt C.

srt5321, welcome, and thanks for stopping by my thread!

I got my MBX10 on the same deal that you found. They had another bike there, the 80 something or other, labeled as Monster Moto brand, but I went with the Motovox as I could find more info online about it.

PMR mounting plate is on the way, along with a 12-tooth clutch and the chain. Guess I will play with sprockets and gear ratios during the winter in the garage. Also have exhaust and carb jets in mind for the future.

I will probably mod the heck out of this next year until I'm bored, then sell it, meanwhile hopefully get at least one piece of vintage iron next summer.

I went with the OldMiniBikes plate, and there were no instructions. I think I did it the way it was intended, and it works fine, so I'm sticking with it. You'll love the 212. I could barely get moving with my 97cc. I'm not a huge guy (about 200 lbs), and the goverened 212 has not problem moving me (usually with my son riding with me).

The stock chain is junk, but it's usable. I took two links out to get it to fit. I also made a spring tensioner to help with the slack that is inevitable. I can send you pics of the tensioner if you'd like. It's super basic, and I only needed a couple of extra bolts, a spring, and a piece of flat stock to make it.
Here's a quick video of my tensioner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abpqI0fKkeI&list=UUEkoanoIC8rTuKohJibFpTg

Same basic design I used ( i see you've cot off rear fender mount ) but I run the spring up to the rear chain guard mounting tab , gives a perfect direct angle for the spring !
Well, I didn't exactly cut it off. I had tried to bend it back with a couple whacks from a hammer, but that didn't seem to work. I was too impatient to take it apart and stick it in a press. I pulled the bike around to the backyard and stuck a 4x4 behind the frame, just above the rear wheel. I put a come-along on the rear fender crossbar, and I attached the other end to my truck. I backed the truck up very slowly, and whole damn fender mount ripped off. It was super hillbilly, and my wife was sure to tell me how ridiculous it was. I laughed a lot. I wish I had video of it.

Okay gang, either I ordered something wrong, or I need one more part to make this happen.

There is about 1/4" of wiggle room on the driveshaft, with the clutch in place and a bolt and washer on the end to keep it in place. I figure either something is wrong, or I need some kind of a washer (size?) to put on the shaft to take up the extra room.