Finally I got my Mini Bike

My name is Jack Howard from Lansing Michigan and I just got a Mini Bike, I told wife it was for the grand son but actually it is for me. It is a old Gilson - Wards 525 with a 3 1/2 horse Briggs and Stratton engine. I cleaned up the carburator and it runs nice. The bike still has the Riverside Tires on it from Wards. I have bought a new Harbor Freight 212 engine and will be putting it together. The band brakes are missing some parts and sprockets are worn especially the offset jack shaft 12 teeth and the rear 3 hole 36 tooth. Reason for joining is to build up the bike correctly and to hear about others experiences. I am retired GM auto worker who likes to play with cars and boats. I weigh 220 lbs and must make bike safe and heavy duty. I have looked all over for parts and cannot find the rear sprocket. Maybe this forum can help with converting something else if not available. May be going in wrong direction.

Welcome aboard Jack .:thumbsup: there is plenty of good folks here that would be glad to help you out on your Gilson. Good Luck on your build !

buckeye

Hey man welcome to OldMiniBikes.
I just finished a ratty Gilson.
I added a shined up 6.5 clone.
Big beefy frame should do you just fine.
You should be able to find some shocks easily.
May not be originals but, never know.
If I can help ya, let me know.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes. I recently joined myself. I also just pick up a 525 and put a HF motor in it. We call it the "fun one" runs great and fast. I weigh about the same as you so don't worry about that. I'm in Royal Oak about 45 mins from you.