Finally pulled the trigger, What is it?

Hello, Long time lurker first time poster. Took a long time but I think I finally scored a vintage mini bike on my shoe string budget. The seller didn't have any info on this mini bike or know what it was. From my limited research I think its a Muskin Cat trailblazer? But not sure and cannot find any serial numbers so far. I was also give the "original engine" I don't think that's true but it does seem period correct and I would like to rebuild it but not sure exactly what it is or how to find parts for it. I have attached photos of the mini bike and engine. The Engine is a Tecumseh 3.5? Model 143-564022, Serial 6080 02432

Thanks for any info :)

Pics added

Attachments

markus

refreshing to see you did some actual research, most of the time its just lazy flippers on here wanting free info to see if they can clip the parts out!

here is the shot of the Blazer this version was later in the companies lineup:

cat blazer (2) (Small).jpg

The tecumseh you have pre dates the bike by by probably 7-10 years. It is a 1966 3.5 hp sold through sears, I will go out on a limb though and say the intake, head, and fuel tank at least are original to the bike though. Looks like they were converting the engine to fit as it would have been a long intaked with tank above the carb version engine when it was sold as new. You will want a longer govenor rod/arm to install on the engine when getting the all the throttle linkage parts if you plan to set it up as those were too short to work with when converting them.

good luck with it!

refreshing to see you did some actual research, most of the time its just lazy flippers on here wanting free info to see if they can clip the parts out!

here is the shot of the Blazer this version was later in the companies lineup:

View attachment 251111

The tecumseh you have pre dates the bike by by probably 7-10 years. It is a 1966 3.5 hp sold through sears, I will go out on a limb though and say the intake, head, and fuel tank at least are original to the bike though. Looks like they were converting the engine to fit as it would have been a long intaked with tank above the carb version engine when it was sold as new. You will want a longer govenor rod/arm to install on the engine when getting the all the throttle linkage parts if you plan to set it up as those were too short to work with when converting them.

good luck with it!
Awesome! Thanks for the picture and engine info. Sure is a neat little bike but one thing that drives me crazy is the rake on the front end is just horrible. I suppose it was not built for a 43 year old man but even my son who fits the bike well commented on it.

Taking a closer look at the engine this morning it seems to be a good base to work with. It has spark and 85 psi of compression so that's good.

I would like to restore her to her former glory but i'm conflicted on painting it. On one hand I don't mind the faded and chipped paint on the other I live in the South East next to the ocean and it would be a shame for it to rust as it does have some exposed metal in a lot of areas but is rust free right now. If I did repaint is there a paint code for this orange? or a someone who has painted one orange before post a pic and what you used.

markus

Awesome! Thanks for the picture and engine info. Sure is a neat little bike but one thing that drives me crazy is the rake on the front end is just horrible. I suppose it was not built for a 43 year old man but even my son who fits the bike well commented on it.

Taking a closer look at the engine this morning it seems to be a good base to work with. It has spark and 85 psi of compression so that's good.

I would like to restore her to her former glory but i'm conflicted on painting it. On one hand I don't mind the faded and chipped paint on the other I live in the South East next to the ocean and it would be a shame for it to rust as it does have some exposed metal in a lot of areas but is rust free right now. If I did repaint is there a paint code for this orange? or a someone who has painted one orange before post a pic and what you used.
yea the straight bar versions were pretty tight, even for a small person. Only short framed cat I ever had was the next step up with the forward bent bolt on bars (called an all american) and that was tight. Just remember that Tecumseh has the side exhaust, and the footpegs are mid mounted, so make sure you sons leg clears it pretty good. Most, not all, have a NPT threading in the port so you could run a 90 degree street elbow if need be but still may be close to his leg. Not sure on the color code they used, There is probably some good shiny paint remaining under the engine or on the underside that they could put the handheld scanner on it at an automotive paint shop if nobody has done it already. There are some fiberglass guards that pop up here and there for the cats which would be doable on your model since they got painted too.

I feel your pain on the rust, I am on the west coast of FL on the gulf. Have fun with it!