Finding old mini bikes . . .

NorCal

Finding mini bikes is extremely hit or miss. Either you have someone who wants a ton of money for them, or you find people just giving them away. What is the best venue you've find for finding reasonably priced mini bikes now that Craigslist has dried up a died? I gave Marketplace a chance, but I recently decided to close my account because it felt like I was (unknowingly) selling my private information to the devil.

I found my DB30 via Marketplace.
I found my Bonanza at a garage sale my old neighbor was having.

Word of mouth, yard sales and good ol’ swap meets (really miss them) are my favorite means.
Folks, in person, seem more polite than their Internet personalities.
Unfortunately COVID and now winter, have reduced these avenues.

This site has been my favorite resource, on the Googlewebs.

On F/B, anything resembling a deal, is a mad rush of who can respond/secure the deal first because there are so many folks looking to strike it rich, flipping items like our Picker friends on TV. Most are overpriced to begin with, for the same reason. The “What’s it worth, I know what I have“, theme is spreading like the other virus, lately.

I enjoy buying & selling within a group of enthusiasts, who are actually INTO these little trouble makers.
We often become repeat customers, even friends, and keep an eye out for parts for each other.
That, and buying a once-loved mini from someone who lets go of it because they know it’s going to a good home, never gets old.

Sorry to rant, morning coffee’s kicking in.
Keepin’ it fun!

Lizardking

Believe it or not but Craigslist still provides some good finds. I found my Mickey bike on Craigslist . Offerup has plenty but most are over priced pos.

Best avenue has been Craigslist. Don't do Fake Book.
As Relicracing stated, repeat customer.
Stumbled across one on BigIron Auction (online auction house) stole it.
Hit the local junk dealer up. Put a bug in his ear. Looked on Offerup.
Prol'um i find is most of'm are a kazillion miles away!
I'm open for ideas...
Now what did i do with my coffee...

Lizardking

The usual sources. I’ve learned it helps to be Nice to people and listen to their story. They probably loved that mini bike as much as you do. It might have been in the Family for decades. I always tell them it’s going to a good home.
You're absolutely right. I bought My Mickey bike from the original owner and he was surprised I knew what a Mickey thompson bike was. He was afraid some "punk kid" was going to buy it and ruin it. I saw the way his mood changed as he began to tell me his 1968 Christmas story! He had to cut it short when he realized his wife was in his truck waiting! He was happy to sell me part of his childhood after sharing his story .

joshua. c.

most of my best finds were threw craigslist keep an eye out and don't hesitate the good deals disappear fast and expand the search to surrounding areas it helps allot. I've seen allot of vintage bikes at large car parts oriented flee markets. the best deals go first thing in the morning on the first day so get there as early as possible.

Ditto on Craigslist. Best Bikes found by watching everything everyday within a 200 mile radius and being willing to jump in the car instantly.I did just get a Rupp Black Widow on a lead through a friend. I was able to trade a shotgun and rifle for a complete runner.