Finishing up a Lil Indian 700

Just finishing up a Lil Indian Model 700 I picked up a few months ago. The seat on it now is the wrong one, would someone be able to tell me the correct length of the 700 seat ? I had PM'd Manchester1, and she said she needs the approximate length to compare to her patterns to make one up. Also...the long chrome chain guard...I know I'll have to give up my first born.. mini-bike 1.JPG mini-bike 2.JPG

markus

Karen (manchester) did a seat for a 600 for another member last year (dr shop teacher), If that seats measurements/pattern were taken form a true OG '68 600 seat that is the one they list for the 1969 700. If not Its part number A-212-10 "pleated seat", part number crosses with 1968 models 600 and 5000 1969 (Briggs powered/early 69 parts lists at least) 600 700 and 4500 they don't list a length but if someone has one of those models in their collection, they may be able to help.

Bike looks great BTW!! :thumbsup:

Hello,
From my 1969 Dealers Price Schedule... they spec the 700 seat at 15" pleated Naugahyde seat. Same as the 4500 for the same year. It has the rear kick up and white piping. I'll see if my better 1/2 can scan it in tomorrow at her work and I'll post it.
Regards,
Joe51

Hello again,
Regarding the flat/long chain guard... For a 700 in 69 it was chrome plated. Most important to note is the 2 brackets that held it to the motor had a different length based on the crank cover design. The 5 HP used a longer length as compared to let's say the 3 HP. Would be interested in a pic. of your side cover. Mounting holes (4) around the block should be flush on a 5 HP. If they are raised you would need the shorter style.
Regards

Thank you markus !...I had sent Karen a PM in regard to the seat, I will send another with the info. you gave me. You had told me that in a previous thread when I had first bought the bike..Thank you for your input.

Thank you Joe51..as far as the longer length..do you mean the overall length of the cover or the bracket itself ? Are they both the same style cover ? If you or someone could post a picture of the correct one, it would be greatly appreciated. IMG_2470.JPG IMG_2471.JPG

Here is a pic of a NOS cover. They were the same for either the Century or Grand series. Yours would be the Century series. The specific model number of the bike was on the guard decal. I'll take a picture in the AM of the brackets.

Hello. here are a couple of pics.
Pic 1 is of the different rear mounting brackets for 68/69 flat chain guard. The one in the front of the picture is an original that was used on non 5 HP models. Those engines had a raised boss. Like your engine. Approx. 1/2" or so off the cover. The one in the rear is an original from my 6000 model that had a flat boss bearing cover.
Pic 2 is of my original 6000 cover. Notice the clutch wear circle. I have had several of these covers in the past. All used ones showed the same damage. In my opinion it was due to flimsy thin metal and the mounting brackets were a tad too short for either HP application.
When I eventually get to my restorations I will re-produce the brackets adding a little length to ensure no crank damage. Hope this makes sense.
Regards, Joe