FireMarshal71's OldMiniBikes-2014 (Scratch) Scooter Build

Nice fabrication work,that frame looks good.What kind of seat you have in mind for that bike? The style of your frame is a timeless design,very pleasing to the eye.

Wow, thanks guys. I didn't expect so much response this soon.

Rocco- the seat will be similar to the style shown in the initial drawing but somewhat thicker and wider.

Next on the agenda will be fabricating the adjustable neck and forks. I need to order a couple springs for the front suspension but I should have all the steel I need.

Question for anyone who has put on a TAV (style with the backing plate), from the frame pictures does it look like the final chain will line up to the side of the wheel and keep the engine centered? I don't remember if the sprocket on the driven is on the inside or outside. The engine plate is 10" wide and the tire is 6.5 inches wide. I am hoping that it will line up without having to put on a jackshaft otherwise I might end up just using a regular clutch and jackshaft to offset the chain. I really want to use a TAV on this one and open to suggestions as to how to get one to work on this. I would like to stay away from the separate driver/driven combo because I'm not that confident in my ability to get them mounted with the proper belt spacing needed.:shrug:

Thanks again for the compliments and insight.:thumbsup:

The chain rides between the driven and the backing plate on the TAV. Should be able to line up no problem.

It is sounding like your dimensions are close to DB30....My DB is 10" center to center on the rear rails...

The rear tire on my DB is 6.5 wide(15/6.5x6) and lined up fine.

One thing though, if you are using an OHV, it won't work unless you angle the motor mount. No problem setting the TAV straight back on a flathead though.

Last edited:
The chain rides between the driven and the backing plate on the TAV. Should be able to line up no problem.

The rear tire on my DB is 6.5 wide(15/6.5x6) and lined up fine.
Thanks Don:thumbsup:, I'm going place the order this week with all the other odds and ends I will need prior to completion. If I get another weekend off like this past one, I will be in good shape to complete on time.

:thumbsup: Your skills have really come into their own. I am trying to keep the posts in other's build threads to a minimum, since no one needs the likes of me to tell them they're doing a good job, nor needs their threads choked up with BS.

However, like last year's project, I do enjoy watching your builds.

IJG

5 Stars

Yeah Man' That's an awesome style.
Make a 3rd in Emerald or Forest Green, I would seriously be interested.
Hope you build it just like you want.
IJG

Last edited:
I have another weekend off so get to work on the scooter a little tonight. Started fab'ing some pieces to support the adjustable neck. The neck itself is 2x3 square tube about 7" in length with a section of 1 3/4 tube (4") that will be welded to the end for the front fork and hold the 1 3/8 bearings. Will have a common pivot and adjustable for the normal position for the scooter style and out to about 45 deg for the chopper appearance.

more to follow tomorrow.

savage clone - you couldn't have picked a Cooler bike, i look for one to add to my collection all the time as who wouldn't want to own one. looks Awesome so far and you know if you started selling them you would have a line of orders. :scooter:

Wow, been missing this. Cool stuff again. You gittin this stuff figured out.:thumbsup:
thank you Tom.

savage clone - you couldn't have picked a Cooler bike, i look for one to add to my collection all the time as who wouldn't want to own one. looks Awesome so far and you know if you started selling them you would have a line of orders. :scooter:
thank you Sir, I hope I don't deviate too far from the Savage lines, I have been staring at those advertisement pictures for the past year and realized how rare they are after trying to find one. I think after this one, I would like to make an exact replica of a real savage but I need to get a tubing roller to accurately make the frame. this one I just bent at specific areas to give the rolled impression. I would consider selling some frames as a kit form.

I dont know how im missing some of these builds, but this is awesome... nice design and now i have to figure out how to use that software! great project looking forward to more! :thumbsup:

I dont know how im missing some of these builds, but this is awesome... nice design and now i have to figure out how to use that software! great project looking forward to more! :thumbsup:
thanks LSC. The software is OK for 3D imaging but for practical uses, you really need to understand the setup process when making bends. For instance, what shows on the software is not always buildable because it asks you to put 2 bends too close to each other. On my 1" die, I have to use 4" between each bend (from the end of the bend). But it's excellent for getting you close enough and for proportioning.

The neck tube mocked in place. First one is the approximate standard scooter position and the second pic shows where the adjusted position for the stretched chopper look might be. The long fork tubes will allow them to extend through the triple trees for the stretched out chopper look which will put the handle bars low down near the tank area.

Next will be working on the pivots and triple tree. I didn't get my springs for the forks yet but should be able to build up most of the fork this weekend.

Last edited:
Yeah Man' That's an awesome style.
Make a 3rd in Emerald or Forest Green, I would seriously be interested.
Hope you build it just like you want.
IJG
thanks, I hope to complete one... maybe 2 but 3 is pushing my boundaries. I will keep you in mind though.

Very cool concept!!:thumbsup:
thanks. I'm not sure its ever been done before but it is coming out pretty solid so far.

A few more pictures of the progress attached. I still have to drill 2 more holes for the lower/upper neck position but it is coming along better than I had envisioned. The cardboard box is approximately the size and position of the fake tank I will make and cover up the predator's tank. it will be hinged on the backside so that the lower tank can be filled.

more progress- end of Saturday night. Neck completed and engine mock-ups.
I need to trim the bottom of the neck tube or there isn't going to be much room for suspension.

Last edited: