FireMarshal71's OldMiniBikes-2014 (Scratch) Scooter Build

That is comming along really nice. Looks great and kinda bad a$$,:laugh:
Cool, I like the sound of that -A, double dollar signs! Maybe that also explains why I've already blown my budget on this little creation.

Starting to rethink the gas tank cover/hood in lieu of a smaller version. with the offset of the predator, the cover is bigger than I envisioned and I really don't care for it after staring at it for a couple weeks, hopefully I can come up with an alternative. Plan on transitioning this frame into a roller this weekend and looks like the weather is now in my favor.:smile:

Thanks Don!

Some more progress made this weekend. Got the rear axle mounts welded in but still need to put the bearing tube ends on the front. Chopped my tank section down the middle and shortened its width. It may be a couple weeks before I can do any more.

edit: This last pic is a concept I've been toying with for a little while. Looking at the possibility of adding front scoops to the tank cover instead of just rounding it over. Also drew in a seat profile.

Last edited:
Nice one Joe,

Like the idea of scoops on the tank, possibly some expanded mesh if front of the intakes

:thumbsup::thumbsup: hope you drew up a set of plans:laugh::laugh::doah:

Some photos from this weekends progress. Had a 4 day weekend so took the family on a quick vacation and spent a couple days in the shop. I started it up and ran it for a while, adjusted the idle so that the clutch would disengage. The front axle, engine plate, jackshaft, chain, and most of the seat frame and suspension is done with the exception of some vertical bracing. Need to hook up the throttle and brake controls before I can test ride but I enjoyed the 20 some feet I ran in the garage. Made a mockup of an Exile feature with a double barrel shotgun exhaust that I will try to incorporate. I ditched the idea of a tank cover, it just looked too bulky so I decided I wanted to just add some side panels and mocked up some patterns for a visual and I also decided I am going to redo the handle bar for more of a curved bar similar to a cruiser style bicycle.

That seat mount looks cool, I like how the springs are tucked away- so the < shape under the seat is fixed right? You planning on a gusset to support that gap or leaving as-is?

That seat mount looks cool, I like how the springs are tucked away- so the < shape under the seat is fixed right? You planning on a gusset to support that gap or leaving as-is?
Yes, I plan on some type of vertical support but haven't decided if I want to make a gusset out of plate or just run another piece of 1" square tube. I put all that together in about an hour and ran out of time to finish the rest. I also need to add a side stabilizer because there is a slight side-side movement. I will probably add the side stabilizer between the frame rail under the seat mount so that if the seat/springs bottoms out (or my welds break loose) it will land on the bracing and offer a little piece of mind. The thought of sliding off the seat and onto the exhaust pipes is enough to leave bad dreams.

Thanks Dan and Tom!

edit: had some time to spare last night 4/1/14 and cleaned up the back end of the seat frame mount and added a gusset.

Last edited:
Man that bike looks very cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
thanks

This bike is too cool for words,althought you need to put some whitewalls on that bad boy when its finished :thumbsup:
thanks- I thought about that, in fact one of Exile's bikes has that theme going.

Straight pipes !!! Oh Yeah!!!:clap::clap::punk:
I guess it has the appearance of straight pipes but I will be adding a flange to the back of the predator muffler and going out from there.

Wow back shock setup looks awesome:thumbsup:
thanks, it was a last minute addition. after I put in the adjustable jackshaft mounts, I was thinking that the extra holes in the back would make a good place to add shock mounts and to my good fortune- it happened to line up exactly where the seat should be.