FireMarshal71's OldMiniBikes-2014 (Scratch) Scooter Build

Happy New Year OldMiniBikes! Attaching a couple pics of my scratch build scooter for the 2014 build-off. The scooter was designed on JD2 software and inspired by exile motorcycles and a vintage 60's era Savage scooter. Based mostly from the savage profile but in larger proportions to the tires and oversized fuel tank. Will also keep the exile styling by giving the appearance of brushed aluminum (no chrome) and black paint. There may be a special twist to this design which will be revealed at a later date. The tires are 16.5x6.5-8 (Kendra based tread design), overall length will be around 56-60 inches, 24" seat height, 32-36 handle bar height. Using a predator 212 and still undecided on using TAV or cent. clutch but will make up my mind once the frame is mocked up and I see how much room there is to work with. Unlike last year's build, I plan to document the entire build on youtube video but will post the monthly photo as required. I will be fabricating using my Lincoln 125 welder, JD2's tubing bender and notcher, and basic grinders.

Got to admire a build that starts with a drawing, raw metal and a bunch of tools :bowdown:

Makes me feel like a bit of a slacker to be starting out with a whole bike!

Awesome build idea, I'll be following along :thumbsup:

Got to admire a build that starts with a drawing, raw metal and a bunch of tools :bowdown:

Makes me feel like a bit of a slacker to be starting out with a whole bike!

Awesome build idea, I'll be following along :thumbsup:
thanks, but I guarantee if my build history prooves anything, I will end up deviating somewhat from the plan. :hammer:

thanks to everyone else for the comments and interest! I placed the order for all of the tubing last night, and yes Tank- it's enough for 2 builds if I don't waste too much, lol.

Link your videos. If I recall any post showing your active, even "weather sucks so it still ain't painted" is acceptable for the monthly update, so no extra pics of the build should be necessary.

The garage floor is still an ice skating rink even with the heater running but I need to get going on this thing. Spent a little time mocking up a frame and practicing my frame bends on some old 3/4 pipe before using my 1"tube. Had an issue with the design and couldn't get the frame sides to bend in a single piece so it was cut about where the fake gas tank will be. This bike will also be a convertible in design where the forks can be adjusted to stretch out like a chopper and the bars will lower through the triple tree area "sometimes you feel like a chopper, sometimes you don't" type of theme. The proportions look good to me and I think I'm ready to start bending the real frame sometime tomorrow.

There's just something about this frame. You hit all the nails on the head. Absolutely love the proportions on it. Definitely going to steal this design:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's looking good. Cool tool you got there:thumbsup:
Thanks rayvel67, the bender makes easy work on your back.

There's just something about this frame. You hit all the nails on the head. Absolutely love the proportions on it. Definitely going to steal this design:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Dan, The dimensions didn't transfer very well from the program to the bender so I have had to modify and adjust some angles. When I get everything the way I want, I can send you the dimensions.

Very cool!!!!:thumbsup: Like those big wheels...gotta get a bender like that.:shrug:
Thanks Ratbike, The proportions with large wheels have been a design I have been working on for the past year. I have a lot of other designs that I would like to build someday that look just as cool IMO. The bender was a good deal, a little pricy for most budgets, but when you add in 3 dies they knock a considerable amount off the price. I need to find a good way to determine rotational angles.

Looking really good
The tire/rim combo is going to be awesome
What do you plan to use for hubs
I have made a few with moderate results Dan Tanksrus make his own too

Looking really good
The tire/rim combo is going to be awesome
What do you plan to use for hubs
I have made a few with moderate results Dan Tanksrus make his own too
Thanks Rob, For the rear going to use the 4 on 4 hubs for a live axle setup like I used on the chopper last year. Going to try and use the sprocket as a disc brake for the back too. The front, I will fab myself and place the bearing directly in the hub like on the fronts for my quad build. I'm trying to squeeze a disc brake on the front (doodlebug/motovox style) and the brake handle on the handle bars will be for front while a foot controlled for the rear. The Exile cycles don't usually show cables on their bikes so this is why I'm attempting to keep the front cable hidden inside the fork going up to the handle bars.

Got some of the frame bent up and welded. Tweaked the design a little more, shortened the length a few inches and changed a couple angles for ease in bending. Was able to bend each side with a single piece of 8ft tube (no cuts this time). It was a little cold out so the pictures have a haze to them.