FireMarshal71's OldMiniBikes-2014 (Scratch) Scooter Build

Nice job man! I just figured out what you did there with the adjustable rake angle thats really cleaver . And thats the same set of forks they just adjust with the clamps. Pretty genius man thats thinking outside the box for sure :thumbsup:
thanks, yes the backs of the split collar are welded to the triple tree so by loosening the 2 bolts, the fork slides up/down. The angle changes by pulling out one of the pins and moving to the other hole. This was my way of being able to build 2 different bikes for the price of one-

I'm not sure which I like better though, the chopper looks cool, but the scooter has a smooth and comfortable ride and it just feels "right" when sitting on it.

thanks for all the comments- hope to finish this up soon.

progress to date. still have a few end tubes to fill and come up with a kickstand, seat cover and then on to painting. Took it for a 10 minute ride and everything is working good and it is a pretty comfortable ride.

Side covers, brakes, and foot controls were finished up this past week. The band brake was kind of a hassle to put on but the stopping power is much better than the manual disc caliper I used on the other build. Pictures of current progress.

Thanks guys, it is a very comfortable and smooth ride but man, it is a heavy monster. The proportions and 4 pieces of carpet pad my wife made in the seat helps too. I think the clutch makes more noise than the exhaust which was a little disappointing for me. If I had to change anything, I would put the brake controls up higher and put floor boards on instead of footpegs. The wife didn't like the stiffness of the thumb throttle but I liked it and think I will use the same thing on my quad build.

Well that's all the boxes ticked. Well done Joe think you topped out on this year's build. Wish I could have been more competition:doah::laugh:

Got my Vote:thumbsup:

That looks like one great minibike. I like the rear being a little farther behind. Looks like it would cut down on the unintended wheelies. Nice job and it looks like a great runner.

Doc

Nice job FM :thumbsup: have you tried riding it in chopper mode
Thanks, I did at the house in the backyard. It rides a lot like the chopper I made last year, a little unstable on the steering until you get up to speed. The position of the brake controls also made it somewhat difficult so it would probably be better with a brake control on the handle bar. The footpegs would need to be relocated farther back too because it felt like I was sitting too upright for a chopper and should be leaned more forward. I think it was a good concept but the scooter mode is where it is going to stay for riding.

It stands to reason that you have less-than-ideal riding positions with it, since building a bike that is both a chopper and a scooter is the epitome of compromise.

You accomplished exactly what you started out to accomplish and did something few if any have ever done. My hat's off to you. Nice job, and great workmanship as usual. :thumbsup:

It stands to reason that you have less-than-ideal riding positions with it, since building a bike that is both a chopper and a scooter is the epitome of compromise.

You accomplished exactly what you started out to accomplish and did something few if any have ever done. My hat's off to you. Nice job, and great workmanship as usual. :thumbsup:
Thanks Guys.

Dave, I think it was a little aggressive but as always, looking to test my limits and think I have come a long way in the past year regarding my fabrication skills. I almost wonder if a concept like this would be possible in the full size bikes allowing a full stretched fork for occasional weekend rides. Aside from the legal 45 degree rake limits for bikes in this area, safety considerations, etc- it is probably something better left in fantasy land.