First build, the "Jimmy Gote"

Spent a couple hours at the DMV yesterday. Rather odd experience. The layout of how you wait looks like it was designed by a 3rd grader. Paper signs every where, different colors. One lady that works there yells at everyone "What are you doing today?" in a loud voice. Forcing everyone to yell back what they need done. Then you are directed to a ticket machine to pick a category, then a ticket is popped out. An "A" or a "B" or a "C" ticket. The lady is still yelling at you as to instruct you. In front of several other people, with the effect of making you feel like a moron. Then you are loudly told, from across the room to stand in one of the matching A B or C colored lines. As near as I can tell all this for nothing as the 2 or 3 people working there take you in order, no matter what you need done. While waiting in line you are loudly reminded to stay in line or loose your place. After going there last week to ask what I needed I learned my lesson. I got a ticket, got in the right line and wasn't yelled at. I thought. It seems I still had to yell why I was there, then told I did it wrong as inspections do not need a ticket and now I had an invalid ticket that needed to be voided.( With a heavy sigh on her part) I was told to wait in that line over there, the one that wasn't marked or had anyone in it yet, for the officer and he would take my name and I will wait over there,,, over there, in those chairs, there, (pointing). 18 hours later,,, well maybe 20 minutes, but time drags by while watching other people being yelled at for not knowing the rules and where the correct lines are. I get to meet with the nice officer, truly was a nice guy. He was a young guy, had no idea what a "Tote Gote" was, or a mini bike, let alone one on steroids, or why in the world would someone want one. Tho he remained nice, polite, and professional, the whole time. He asked a few questions, showed a bit of curiosity as to how I was going to use it to haul an elk. But after about a 15 minute detailed look see, while I was asked to wait back inside ( I think so I could enjoy the demeaning showing that was going on) I was called back up to the nonexistent line and given a couple forms to sign. And I gave him 25 bucks. This was done outside so he could show me where he put my VIN number. Then I was told to go back inside, wait in line and get my title. Crap! do I need a ticket? Everybody needs a ticket! So I go to the ticket machine, touch "Title" and get a ticket. "NOW WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" "Getting a ticket to wait in line to get a title." Showing her my handful of forms and my ticket. Well I guess I didn't need a ticket for this, but oh well. But I still had to wait in line. When I was next she asked for my ticket. It was out of sequence. How did I get that number? So she yelled the other 2 numbers out repeatedly, and decided I was next. Pretty easy I thought as there was only3-4 other people in line and they were in a different line. Orange line, I was the only one in a red line. So I get there and it seems her voice has one pitch and volume, even if you are close. Where I am told I need all my receipts so we can figure a value, as my 1,000$ number I gave must be way to low. I said 800-1000 dollars, which is truly about what the parts cost, minus beer. So I was instructed to come back later when I had my homework done and signed by mom,, err I mean my receipts in order and DO NOT lose those forms the officer gave me or I will have to start all over. (even tho I have a VIN number on the bike now). Earlier thu this ordeal she came out from behind her desk to talk to someone she knows to explain how stupid people were and most could not read as there was signs everywhere, including one that said "Stop Here" Read Signs", She said she would have to put up more signs as people were not smart enough to read the ones she had. The waiting, the paper work, the inspection, the officer, were all pretty much straight forward and other than boredom of waiting went well. The demeaning side show given at the expense of people just walking in made it something I hope never todo again, but I will, to dump all my receipts on her desk and get my title. Or maybe I will add them up, staple them and try to get out quickly, not sure.

Last edited:
Can you imagine if it was the Department of Medicine?
Ya, well, I am on Obama care, it is worse!. Girlfriend waited something like 2 months for approval for a test to see if see had pancreatic cancer. You know the one that means you have weeks to live? She didn't, but she spent the 2 months buying half gallons of milk because she wasn't sure she would be around for a full gallon. I am dealing with the nit wits now on another issue, what a pain.

Great build, I'm going to copy some of your front end stuff for a trike.. Next step maybe a trailer for the elk?

Spent a couple hours at the DMV yesterday. Rather odd experience....
You should try registering a 50 year old Datsun sports car in New Jersey for antique plates. 5 phone calls to the state capitol because it wasn't original wheels. I'm amazed you can register a homebuilt motorcycle for road use, thats awesome.

My wife loves my Manco Big Cat, thinks it makes her butt look smaller. Watching her try to Flintstone it backwards is hysterical. Play with the tire pressure when you get done, a few pounds makes the bike totally different, at 4psi I don't need a kickstand:smile:

Last edited:
Great build, I'm going to copy some of your front end stuff for a trike.. Next step maybe a trailer for the elk?

You should try registering a 50 year old Datsun sports car in New Jersey for antique plates. 5 phone calls to the state capitol because it wasn't original wheels. I'm amazed you can register a homebuilt motorcycle for road use, thats awesome.

My wife loves my Manco Big Cat, thinks it makes her butt look smaller. Watching her try to Flintstone it backwards is hysterical. Play with the tire pressure when you get done, a few pounds makes the bike totally different, at 4psi I don't need a kickstand:smile:
A friend gave me a garden type trailer. Tilt bed even! Need to make a hitch for it. Had to replace the spindles and wheels/tires, just need a hitch. Wonder what towing a trailer downhill with 400lbs of elk in it is like? Might need to get the seat redone after that. I have wondered how low air pressure can I safely go to without popping off the rim or destroying the tire? My next build will have a swingarm. For the frontend I used DOM tubing as it was accurate enough to accept bushings without machining. Made life easier. Trying to size spring rate was hit and miss tho. Dark beer seemed to help.

Well got most of the beast apart. All but the front end and the kick stand! So tomorrow is weld and grind day. Need to add a few more gussets, move a bracket or two. Then a good cleaning, sanding, prime and paint. Yellow and black. I think the fenders need a stripe or if I can them, the old Yamaha racing yellow/black checker pattern. Maybe this coming week I can start painting stuff. Most likely Rustoleum paint so I can buy spray cans to touch up. I see no need to spend 300 bucks on automotive base coat/ clear/coat stuff. I may coat the battery box with Plasti Dip. Should hold up to acid better? At least that's what I'm thinking. Pics to follow!

Well got most of the beast apart. All but the front end and the kick stand! So tomorrow is weld and grind day. Need to add a few more gussets, move a bracket or two. Then a good cleaning, sanding, prime and paint. Yellow and black. I think the fenders need a stripe or if I can them, the old Yamaha racing yellow/black checker pattern. Maybe this coming week I can start painting stuff. Most likely Rustoleum paint so I can buy spray cans to touch up. I see no need to spend 300 bucks on automotive base coat/ clear/coat stuff. I may coat the battery box with Plasti Dip. Should hold up to acid better? At least that's what I'm thinking. Pics to follow!
I used Rustoleum Gloss Preventative Enamel on my build and am very happy with the outcome. I did find that it kept getting harder as it cured over a long period of time. At first, even though it was dry to the touch, it was too soft for masking without the tape upsetting the finish.

I used Rustoleum Gloss Preventative Enamel on my build and am very happy with the outcome. I did find that it kept getting harder as it cured over a long period of time. At first, even though it was dry to the touch, it was too soft for masking without the tape upsetting the finish.
A trick we used at the body shop I worked at many moons ago with tape was to stick it several times to our pant leg to remove some of the glue and add a bit of dust to lessen the stickiness. By doing that we could mask for two tones in 20-30 minutes using enamels. And for good lines it's hard to beat real auto body masking tape. Using the 1/4 inch to make clean lines even on curves, then wider tape on the 1/4 inch. Use a razor blade to cut the edge of the paint as you peel the tape off makes the lines cleaner. In this case for this bike, quality finish is low on my list, lol. This will be used and abused, so few runs, orange peel, and chips add to the patina.

Finished welding a few places, added some gussets, a couple fish plates, couple more cross members, and a VIN number! Need to get the seat done. Just 5/8 plywood, when I like it I was going to coat it with fiberglass resin, as I have some that is getting a bit lumpy. I didn't do much body work so it is not a show bike at all. Made to be dropped over, run down a gravel road, get elk blood on it. I found one of my pillow block bearings was bad. Luckily I had another. Weird I bet it's got less than 10 miles on it. and it was the cheapest Chinnese bearing I could find. Maybe I should up a grade? I keep looking at the front part ahead of the seat on the frame, thinking I should make that into a glove box. Maybe get some ABS sheets and line that part of the frame. Got a pair of 50 cal ammo cans for saddle bags. Not sure on them as the tail pipe is in the way. Maybe just one on the right side? I welded it with a 120 volt Lincoln. Some of my welds are right out of the book, others look like a buzzard crapped there. Maybe one day I can swing a TIG. Tomorrow I put the forks together. Waiting on a rear sprocket. This one is for 41 or 40 chain. Means 40 fits loose as the dickens. 41 is a lot narrower. So I got a weld on 40 coming. The other one broke 2 bolts in the short time I rode it. I been using the nylon lock nuts everywhere and a drop of blue LockTite. Coating the shafts with NeverSieze. Trying to keep stuff on that I want on, yet take it apart when I have to. My real wheel assembly is a bear to take apart. The shaft slides thru the bearing, all the other stuff feeds on it. The set screws leave marks that hamper any attempt to reverse process. I was having a problem keeping the rear wheel parts tight. Most are 5/16 set screws. I bought a bunch of set screws with a square head and a 3/8 drive socket to fit. So I should be able tighten the dam things down until they cry uncle. Twist it till it smokes and give it two more!

Finished welding a few places, added some gussets, a couple fish plates, couple more cross members, and a VIN number! Need to get the seat done. Just 5/8 plywood, when I like it I was going to coat it with fiberglass resin, as I have some that is getting a bit lumpy. I didn't do much body work so it is not a show bike at all. Made to be dropped over, run down a gravel road, get elk blood on it. I found one of my pillow block bearings was bad. Luckily I had another. Weird I bet it's got less than 10 miles on it. and it was the cheapest Chinnese bearing I could find. Maybe I should up a grade? I keep looking at the front part ahead of the seat on the frame, thinking I should make that into a glove box. Maybe get some ABS sheets and line that part of the frame. Got a pair of 50 cal ammo cans for saddle bags. Not sure on them as the tail pipe is in the way. Maybe just one on the right side? I welded it with a 120 volt Lincoln. Some of my welds are right out of the book, others look like a buzzard crapped there. Maybe one day I can swing a TIG. Tomorrow I put the forks together. Waiting on a rear sprocket. This one is for 41 or 40 chain. Means 40 fits loose as the dickens. 41 is a lot narrower. So I got a weld on 40 coming. The other one broke 2 bolts in the short time I rode it. I been using the nylon lock nuts everywhere and a drop of blue LockTite. Coating the shafts with NeverSieze. Trying to keep stuff on that I want on, yet take it apart when I have to. My real wheel assembly is a bear to take apart. The shaft slides thru the bearing, all the other stuff feeds on it. The set screws leave marks that hamper any attempt to reverse process. I was having a problem keeping the rear wheel parts tight. Most are 5/16 set screws. I bought a bunch of set screws with a square head and a 3/8 drive socket to fit. So I should be able tighten the dam things down until they cry uncle. Twist it till it smokes and give it two more!
Thanks for your tips on using masking tape. When building my bike I found that some of my assemblies, mounts and brackets, etc. are not conducive to easy reassembly. My rear axle with hubs, sprocket and brake disc are a real pain to assemble and I did it many times through the build. Such are home built prototypes, I guess! When do you think you'll be going hunting with your bike?

Thanks for your tips on using masking tape. When building my bike I found that some of my assemblies, mounts and brackets, etc. are not conducive to easy reassembly. My rear axle with hubs, sprocket and brake disc are a real pain to assemble and I did it many times through the build. Such are home built prototypes, I guess! When do you think you'll be going hunting with your bike?
Hunt starts oct 20th, on an extinct volcano!

I got to see how well I can weld Saturday. I had sheared a couple bolts off the rear sprocket. And it was a number 41 sprocket, with 40 chain, fits, sort of. So I bought a 40 weld on sprocket. I welded it on, inside, outside, even spot welded the old bolt holes. I did a hell of a job welding it,,,,, on the WRONG DANG side!, Hunt is coming up, new parts are a special order, what to do? Well after about 30 minutes with an angle grinder, cutting wheel, flap wheel, drill press to drill out the spot welds, I had the dam thing apart. Reassembled, welded the snot out of it and all is well. 2 dark beers later, 3 new swear words, 5 new ways to group old swear words,10 bucks worth of electricity and MIG gas later.